10 replies to this topic

#1 loreley

loreley

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

As I am in the final phase of purchasing a brandnew Swift, I wonder if anyone is familiar with the specs of the 2014 model? Our dealer told us that we would be getting a 2014, but having joined this forum and read some very helpful comments, I started having doubts.

Have to add, I am living in Holland, the big caravan show for this part of the world will take place in August in Düsseldorf.

I am a bit of an impulse-buyer, hence my reverse research: agree to buy and then panic and do frantic research.

How will I know that it really is what the dealer told me (2014) and that he is not just taking advantage of my naivety?

#2 birdman101

birdman101

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Interests:Bird breeding/caravanning
  • Towcar:Sorento Auto
  • Caravan:2013 Swift Archway Barnwell Ruby

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

It could be manufactured from this month onwards but you will be able to tell by the CRIS number the model year.  After about the fifth letter there will be a number,2014 should be a 4 and then more letters

Edited by birdman101, 23 July 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#3 Conq

Conq

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Towcar:VW Tiguan TD 140
  • Caravan:Swift Conqueror 480 (13)

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

Only a few people are aware of the new Swift 2014 vans. Personally I would go for a 2013 van which you will get cheaper and will have had all the snags ironed out. Never buy a new model until it has been proven for at least 2 years. The dealer may be correct if he has been for a preview but..........

Speaking from expensive experience!!!! :o

Edited by Conq, 23 July 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#4 Gellyneck

Gellyneck

Tied up in knots

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

It could be manufactured from this month onwards but you will be able to tell by the CRIS number the model year.  After about the fifth letter there will be a number,2014 should be a 4 and then more letters

Would the year identification character not be "E" as "4" would make it a MY2004 caravan?

Are model years not predicated on 1 September to 31 August production?  So, if manufactured in July \ August it could be an early production of a 2014 model specification but would show as a 2013 production?

Edited by Gellyneck, 23 July 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#5 sandym

sandym

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:Walking, Fishing, Caravaning, Cycling

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

If I lived in Holland, I would be buying a European brand, much more tried and tested. just my opinion.

sandy

#6 IainM1970

IainM1970

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning
  • Towcar:VW Tiguan 177TDi R Line
  • Caravan:Swift Challenger 570 SE

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

From what I hear the Challenger SE is to be little changed for 2014 ... I would go for it!

#7 loreley

loreley

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

I rang the dealer: it's a 2013 model, will be finished on august 16th and on the chassis it will say 2014.
Glad now cause like it was mentioned here: better go for tried model.
As for continental caravans: we prefer the uk layout, the comfort is much better too (even most German owners say so but are too loyal to their brands) and uk vans have all piping built into floor, less risk of it all bursting in winter. Plenty of other advantages...take the thick upholstery (springs instead of foam) and three front windows! We are happy to give it a try now, the warranty is also very good of course (10 years on bodywork! 3 yrs rest)

#8 Abh1493

Abh1493

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:This industry,, golf, walking, numismatics

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

I think you are getting a little confused. If it is plated as a 2014 model then it doesn't matter when it was built. It is a 2014 model.
It will therefore have any design or build changes that will be on all other 2014 models. It will have nothing to do with the 2013 models.

#9 birdman101

birdman101

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Interests:Bird breeding/caravanning
  • Towcar:Sorento Auto
  • Caravan:2013 Swift Archway Barnwell Ruby

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

I have looked at my CRIS sheet for my 2013 van and the year is now denoted by a D so a 2014 van will be an E .  Gellyneck is correct , but 2014 models are being manufactured mid summer for dealer demo's and will have a 2014 CRIS number.

Edited by birdman101, 24 July 2013 - 07:14 AM.

#10 loreley

loreley

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

Abh1493, your reply made me smile...I am not "getting a little bit confused", I already AM confused...very much so...! but sometimes thats quite a nice state to be in, the surprise will be even more fun once I am getting my caravan mid August. 

We have now settled all arrangements, the dealer has passed all on to the UK manufacturer and we shall see what they come up with. This might sound a bit flippant but I honestly am finding great piece of mind in the warranty and I trust the dealer completely. He is one of the few Dutch "Swift" dealers and the community of UK Caravan owners in the Netherlands isnt that big...

Obviously we havent seen the end product and that is a bit nerve wrecking. He had the Sprite Cruzer in the showroom and the largest Swift Challenger. Ours will be a combination...

But buying new was my wish after having looked at plenty of second hand ones and loosing faith when I kept hearing the same story over and over: the previous owner never used it other than as a spare room when/if the children came to visit....

Bit suspicious that most pre-owned caravans had never been used, and the ones that were, did not look very inviting. We want to be away in it over the weekends, not be tinkering to mend and repair...

Excited greetings

Loreley

#11 Abh1493

Abh1493

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:This industry,, golf, walking, numismatics

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

I have looked at my CRIS sheet for my 2013 van and the year is now denoted by a D so a 2014 van will be an E .  Gellyneck is correct , but 2014 models are being manufactured mid summer for dealer demo's and will have a 2014 CRIS number.

I don't think the CRIS numbers are used on export caravans, just UK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users