Shower Temperature

Neat

I have just purchased a new 460/2. I went away for the first time this weekend. I love the van - apart from one thing (so far). The shower does not run at a consistent temperature. The water fluctuates from cold to very hot (too hot to stand in). I cannot believe that this is how the shower should perform. Does anyone have any experience/solutions to this problem - other than using the site facilities!

Max temp will be 70 degrees from the hot tank using electric. This can be less on gas because it can be controlled.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Hi Neat . ..... can't be too much help to you . ..... sorry . ...

But our shower in the 545 runs just fine at what-ever setting you put it at . ... on electric or gas . ...

Possible a fault with your thermostat . .....

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Hi Neat,

We also have a 2013 VIP 460/2 and have had no trouble with the water fluctuating in the shower. There are two heating settings 40 and 60 degrees. have you got set to 60.

Have a word with your dealer I am sure that they can sort it out it possibly, as Pierre19 says a thermostate fault.

We actually have this problem at home at the moment I understand that this a heat exchanger problem. Just waiting for the plumber to come tomorrow.

Chris

Volvo V60 D5, Coachman VIP 2016, Isabella Magnum porch awning, powrtouch mover

Adventure before dementia

<p>

Not had this problem myself. We have a 2012 470/2. I'm assuming the 2013 models have the same Truma Combi.

If so then yes set the water to 60 degrees, wait till the indicator stops flashing (to say it is to heat), then wait another 5 minutes - the residual heat from the unit will riase the temperature to 70 degrees.

That means you at least know you are dealing with a full tank of hot water. I suspect though you have a faulty thermostat.

Fire. Now there's a hot topic!

I'm not sure it's the thermostat? If you have a full tank of hot water at, say 60°C or 70°C, then the hot/cold changes you're experiencing may be down to the mixer tap in the shower itself. Couple of things to try. Firstly, heat your tank up until the 60°C display stops flashing - this should ensure you have a full hot tank. Then run the kitchen or bathroom sink taps constantly on full heat until the tank cools (probably a couple of minutes) and check the water temperature at the taps during this time. If it stays constant until the tank empties then the generation of the hot water is probably OK. Then reheat the tank until hot again (about 20 mins on electric only) and try the same with the shower tap. If all is OK try the two tests again but this time use the mixer on the sink and shower taps to give a 'comfortable' temperature and run the tank cold. If you get the same problem at the sinks as you get at the shower then the problem is further back where the heat is generated.

The thermostat regulates the temperature of the water in the 10 litre tank so I can't really see how that would fluctuate a shower temperature as quickly as you're describing. Let us know how you get on?

Cheers, Dougie

2012 Coachman Pastiche 520/4 with Volvo XC90

Hi, Just got back from a short break and had exactly the same problem. We have a 2013 pastiche 525/4 with an end bathroom (a long way from the boiler), I'm convinced its to do with the fact that when we're showering the pump doesn't run constantly like in our old sterling. This causes fluctuations in the hot/cold water pressure and the scalding (and it really is scalding) The pump seems to run constantly when it's flowing through the taps! any ideas would be appreciated.

Hi,

​We have the amara 520/4 with end bathroom. I have on occasion experienced the water suddenly getting hotter after a while i found out why ! -- the control tap has an arm sticking out into the shower space, when turning/ moving i was knocking the tap- not a lot but i never noticed it. After "rumbling" the cause i now watch out regarding the tap

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Some people complained that they could not get 2 showers from 1 tank so I think they started to fit a washer with a smaller diameter internal hole just beore the shower head Resulting in less water flow and this was causing the above in our van so I enlarged the hole slightly now we can still get 2 showers and no overheating hope this helps

Edited by Andyvon

Thanks, had just tried this myself and discovered it worked, saves another moan to the dealer. To be fair he did come out and change the main control unit when it went down after 1 use!

• 1 month later...

Never had that problem originally with my 2012 VIP 560/4, until we had a problem with the pump failing to switch off! The dealer adjusted the on/off setting on the pressure switch and guess what, we had fluctuating shower temperatures. Subsequently we have had the problem again with the pump not switching off and finally the switch has been replaced, so not been out since but will post again.

We also experienced the shower going cold before you could finish your shower, even though using the on/off method. The fix was to get a decent shower head that has good air/water mixing.

Hope that helps?

Porsche Cayenne Turbo tugging 2012 Coachman VIP 560/4

• 2 years later...

The shower in our Coachman 575/4 Vision was very tricky to keep at the right temperature for more than a few seconds. I know the Truma heater is thermostatically controlled but as soon as water is being draw the incoming water cools the heated water and the heater can't keep up with demand.

However I fitted a Alde temperature mixing valve in the water supply to the wash room. The valve is adjustable and I've set mine to 45C. With the Combi set at 60C the shower stays constant for more tha 4 mins. Control is simple just whack the shower on fully hot and jump in!

This should be a standard fitting in a new van.

Towing: More Brains than More Horsepower.

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.