5 replies to this topic

#1 adstar

adstar

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts
  • Caravan:Hobby UK 700 SMF

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

I wonder if anyone could help me find a wiring diagram for the 12v circuit for my 2005 Hobby UK 700 SMF caravan?
The Dometic power supply frazzled itself and has been repaired. On reinstalling the supply there are some things not working: the toilet flush; the water level gauge, and the fridge (will not turn on using the on/off button). Strangely the fridge interior light is constantly on. The fridge is plugged in to the 240v supply. All lights are working fine and all 240v sockets, etc are OK as well. I have isolated one cable (with 1 black + 1 white wire inside) which has no effect on any lights when it is disconnected, so I am guessing this could be the supply to the fridge/gauge/flush. A wiring diagram might help me confirm this without dismantling too much first. There was a problem with some cheeky rodents getting in during the winter, and they may well have nibbled some cables around the sink/fridge area where I found them nesting.
Any help or ideas on where to get a diagram would be most appreciated.
My best regards,

#2 beejay

beejay

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

I wonder if anyone could help me find a wiring diagram for the 12v circuit for my 2005 Hobby UK 700 SMF caravan?
The Dometic power supply frazzled itself and has been repaired. On reinstalling the supply there are some things not working: the toilet flush; the water level gauge, and the fridge (will not turn on using the on/off button). Strangely the fridge interior light is constantly on. The fridge is plugged in to the 240v supply. All lights are working fine and all 240v sockets, etc are OK as well. I have isolated one cable (with 1 black + 1 white wire inside) which has no effect on any lights when it is disconnected, so I am guessing this could be the supply to the fridge/gauge/flush. A wiring diagram might help me confirm this without dismantling too much first. There was a problem with some cheeky rodents getting in during the winter, and they may well have nibbled some cables around the sink/fridge area where I found them nesting.
Any help or ideas on where to get a diagram would be most appreciated.
My best regards,

Hi

I will try to help.

Hobby do not list a 700 or SMF model in the 2005 Gerrman brochure  which suggests that yours is a U.K. Special which used different model descriptions for existing German layouts.  Theoretically, SMF isn't possible as  S denotes a dining area at the rear of only the smallest 'vans. M is a dining area in the centre and F is fixed double bed so I think you have a 720UMF which is 96cm or nearly a metre too long to meet U.K. regulations if towed by acar.. The model code will be on the plate at the front right hand bottom  corner of the body. The first number of the six figures at the end will be  5 if your van is 2005.

The Hobby manuals only supply a very basic diagram of the wiring with no detail. Unfortunately the 2005 models were supplied with the earlier manual which has adifferent transformer and circuits.

Does the 'van have battery and charger because unless the caravan was ordered ex-factory with a battery and charger these would have been fitted after delivery so alterations may have been made to the original wiring?

You have had the Dometic transformer repaired which is rather surprising as Dometic offer no help with these units but there are a couple of electronic guys who do repairs to the earlier simpler transformer units..

Originally, the Dometic transformer, when switched on,  supplies ALL the 12 volt in the caravan.  When switched off or when there is no mains connected the car can supply 12v via the 13 pin or 12S connection. This is connected  to the transformer at the 12v IN terminals and all the van circuits should then  work from it. The  cable with b/w wires is (was) the 12v connection to the fridge  and should run to the terminal box in the front nearside bed locker or whatever your 'van has at that location (double bed?).

The problem is that if a battery/charger has been fitted then this wiring will have been modifed by whoever did the work.

There are 4 fuses and LED indicator lights on the bottom of the transformer which will light up if the fuse has blown.

the fuses  should be

1. kitchen lights

2. pelmet lighting

3 .corner spots lights - alcove lights - bedroom spot lights- wardrobe light

4. ceiling toilet lights - water pump - toilet flush pump and possibly heater fan if 12 volt.

The fridge is only wired to 12v via the car socket when the engine is running unless you have a fridge that requires 12v for the electronics to operate.  The fridge light on permanently is owing to the magnetic reed switch in the top of the door failing to trigger. Try holding a small magnet to the black circle at the top of the door opening.

#3 adstar

adstar

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:30 AM

Hello, thank you for your reply - it was very helpful.

Fortunately no battery or charger has been fitted so all the wiring is as it left the factory.

The 6-from-last digit of the chassis number is a 5, and the Hobby log book states the van as a Hobby Exclusive 700 SMF. I believe it is a UK Special. It's definitely not a 720, as our bed is in the centre of the bedroom, not in the corner. It does have a dining area in the middle, opposite the kitchen and a small horseshoe sofa at the end.

Today was multimeter day, and I found the junction box you described. After some dismantling of the van no evidence of rat damge was found and all three components have a 12v supply entering, but none of them function. My only conclusion is that when the transformer blew it has somehow damaged the chips on the PCBs for the level indicator, fridge and toilet flush. All three of these components have their own PCBs. Everything without a PCB still works...

So now I'm trying to source the PCBs for: Thetford N145A fridge; Thetford C-402C toilet, and Cramer/Dometic CSC-Ho 22 (for the level indicator LED board).

The fridge has power board and control panel, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to test if these work before buying new ones. Also, does anyone know where to buy Cramer/Dometic water level indicator parts?

They're quite well constructed these Hobby caravans, which means it'll hopefully go back together well!

#4 beejay

beejay

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

Hello, thank you for your reply - it was very helpful.

Fortunately no battery or charger has been fitted so all the wiring is as it left the factory.

The 6-from-last digit of the chassis number is a 5, and the Hobby log book states the van as a Hobby Exclusive 700 SMF. I believe it is a UK Special. It's definitely not a 720, as our bed is in the centre of the bedroom, not in the corner. It does have a dining area in the middle, opposite the kitchen and a small horseshoe sofa at the end.

Today was multimeter day, and I found the junction box you described. After some dismantling of the van no evidence of rat damge was found and all three components have a 12v supply entering, but none of them function. My only conclusion is that when the transformer blew it has somehow damaged the chips on the PCBs for the level indicator, fridge and toilet flush. All three of these components have their own PCBs. Everything without a PCB still works...

So now I'm trying to source the PCBs for: Thetford N145A fridge; Thetford C-402C toilet, and Cramer/Dometic CSC-Ho 22 (for the level indicator LED board).

The fridge has power board and control panel, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to test if these work before buying new ones. Also, does anyone know where to buy Cramer/Dometic water level indicator parts?

They're quite well constructed these Hobby caravans, which means it'll hopefully go back together well!

The German 2005 brochure doesn't list a 700 and the  layout seems to indicate a UMFf model  based on the 720. (the small f indicates a free standing bed). I never had anything to do with the U.K. specials having bought mine in Germay. The length will identify it for certain if is  9.15 metres overall length. 

I never ever bothered with any of the toilet indicator lights nor the water tank level light.  Doesn't the toilet flush still work as it is just a pump circuit? The cost of replacements pcb's will be eye watering I think.

Good luck with rectification work

#5 adstar

adstar

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:46 AM

Problem sorted! It turns out I'd been fooled by Hobby's wiring colours.

I had assumed they would follow usual colour-coding for positive and negative wires, but they don't. They use black wires for positive and white wires for negative on the 12v system. This had no effect on the lights, which work regardless, but prevented anything with PCBs from working. After swapping the black and white wires on the power supply everything works again.

I should have taken a photo of the wires attached to the power supply before removing them. D'huh!

#6 beejay

beejay

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

Problem sorted! It turns out I'd been fooled by Hobby's wiring colours.

I had assumed they would follow usual colour-coding for positive and negative wires, but they don't. They use black wires for positive and white wires for negative on the 12v system. This had no effect on the lights, which work regardless, but prevented anything with PCBs from working. After swapping the black and white wires on the power supply everything works again.

I should have taken a photo of the wires attached to the power supply before removing them. D'huh!

If only everything was so easy!  Was it the  black cable with white and a black  wires that runs from the  front junction box to the transformer?

Yep! DIN/ISO  vehicle wiring colours....white is 12v negative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users