204 replies to this topic

#121 Scoobz

Scoobz

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

Ok, another update. As you know my van has been back at the dealers, to hopefully solve the aerial problem. I had a call from them earlier in the week ,stating that they had tested the old aerial and found it to be ok. I asked had Avtex sent them a new one, were I was told yes. I asked them to fit the new one as I have had numerous problems with my old one.

Collected my van yesterday and put it back on my drive. Just been out to try the new aerial, and nothing. Not one bit of signal. Now even with my old aerial, I was able to get about 20 channels before it chose to loose the signal.To say I am disappointed is a understatement. I don't know we're I go from here as Elddis have made it very clear they are not interested . I guess it's going to have to be legal action on the grounds of fit for purpose.

what I will say is the chap from the dealership told me that they are getting lots of complaints now regarding this aerial, and he has lost count how many he has had to change. What was it Elddis stated. " we have had no complaints about this aerial". Well somebody is lying, and I know who I believe.Scoobz

#122 Seaman

Seaman

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto
  • Caravan:2014 Coachman Vision 565/4

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hi Steve,

Out of curiosity do you use the Avtex television that came with your Avante? If so, have you got the aerial power selected in the TV settings? I'm wondering if it will make any difference, as I have it selected on mine and I am getting good reception on every site I have been to, except Longleat CC, which has known to have poor/negative reception.

David

#123 Scoobz

Scoobz

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Hi David ,yes it is selected. In march this year when I first raised the issue with Avtex,I was told it was the Avtex tv that was given as part of the deal. They swapped the tv for the one that I have now. I have tried it with a Sony tv also,and the same, no signal whatsoever .

#124 Seaman

Seaman

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto
  • Caravan:2014 Coachman Vision 565/4

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

Well Steve, it certainly looks like it's the luck of the draw in this situation?

On a recent week at Daleacres CC site near Hythe, Kent, we were getting 156 channels during the scan. When we were at Lady Margarets Park CC, we only got 8 channels.

I have wired my Avante for satellite and external (bollard) aerial, just in case. 

David

Edited by Seaman, 13 October 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#125 Scoobz

Scoobz

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hi David, I wish I could just get in the draw, having no signal at all . What I did find disturbing as well. The dealer left the old aerial. I had a look inside and there was a lot of oxidisation . There was like a white powder around the board that I presume is what gives us the supposed signal.Steve

#126 chrisheg

chrisheg

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

I am joining the unhappy band of owners having problems with the Avtex Aerial.  New affinity van, been away four times and twice have had no usable signal.

Last few days we have been at Dunstan Hill C & CC site and I was surrounded by caravans using the old status aerials (both the circular one and the directional one and they all had good TV signal.  We had nothing and even the radio was very poor - could not even listem to 5live for the England match.

I have today taken my van to an Elddis Approver repairer right next to the Elddis factory and they were very helpful.  However when we tried the TV there it was a perfect picture.  Having said that we retuned the TV with the aerial lead attached to the tv but not plugged into the socket and we still got a good picture.  (a very strong signal area).  Problem is I think all the local Elddis dealers will be in strong signal areas.

The repairer tested that there was a current to the aerial but did not have the equipment to test the strength of the signal from the aerial.  They think the problem must be a faulty aerial and are applying to Elddis to replace the Aerial under warranty.

#127 cogit

cogit

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Towcar:SsangYong Korando SE4 (AWD)
  • Caravan:Elddis Affinity 482

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

Have just returned from the NEC show. On arrival at the CC Temporary site on Monday we had 56 channels, no pixillation and no problems. In the evening all channels had disappeared so satellite dish out again the next day to watch the footie.

At the show on Tuesday I made a point of seeing someone from Elddis and explained the position. He denied there were any problems with the aerial and I should get a better lead!!!  A chap behind me had been listening to this conversation and, as a recent Affinity owner, he was also suffering with poor TV reception. All we got from Elddis was a complete brush off, there was no fault as far as they were concerned in spite of the fact that I pointed out the problems faced by many of their customers on this thread. He was not interested.

I'm so fed up with the problem that I splashed out and ordered a new automatic Maxview VuQube (with a decent show discount) to hopefully prevent any further TV hassles!

I did point out to Elddis that it is doubtful if I would ever purchase another van from them and it was very poor customer relations when a simple thing like the lack of a decent TV aerial can spoil the enjoyment of what is a very nice caravan.

#128 penman

penman

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Holidays, Garden. DIY.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

I have made many posts about our Avtex aerial, it was replaced by the dealer 5 months after being identified as faulty. We have only used the van once since the new aerial was fitted and reception was perfect.

As we will not use our Van until next spring I will not be able to check reception at the CL we regularly use in Pembrokeshire. We have always had either no reception or break up at that site with the Avtex. I am though hopeful that the new aerial will work as it recently did at Oxford when some others near by with status aerials had poor reception.

My advice to anyone with similar problems is get your Aerial relaced, its covered by a warranty.

My advice to Elddis is to get a grip and sort this problem out, this may look  a small issue to you, but not to your frustrated Customers .Many including us have been put off buying another Elddis product.

Elddis....... " Rememer Great Customer Service is rewarded with Customer Loyality ".

We bought 4 new Bailey caravans from the same dealer they were not fault free but problems were sorted quickly and without hassel.

#129 Scoobz

Scoobz

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

The company's customer service is a joke. I am a firm believer in what goes around,comes around. Roll on Friday

#130 peterjohn

peterjohn

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Digital photography, Walking.
  • Towcar:Citroen C-Crosser 2.2 Exclusive
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 470

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

The company's customer service is a joke. I am a firm believer in what goes around,comes around. Roll on Friday

What's happening on Friday Scoobz?....Peter

#131 Scoobz

Scoobz

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

Hi , just thought I would give an update. Went to the NEC yesterday, seen the chap who sold me my van last year.He asked had I finally managed to sort out my aerial problem, I told him about everything that happened,and about all of the other owners who had problems. He tried for myself to meet the person responsible from Elddis ,who dealt with this issue. Sadly she wasn't there,he told me to stand and wait,which I did for a while but got fed up standing so went to the Avtex stand and had a very good conversation with one of there representatives.

He informed me that they were just as fed up as myself with the problem,and that they were not happy with the way Elddis have ignored the issue. He said it had got so bad that one of the senior personnel from Avtex was having a meeting yesterday afternoon with Elddis.they have identified the problem being the poor quality of the internal cables and splitter that Elddis have installed. He went on to tell me he had lost count of the amount of Elddis owners who have complained about the aerial problem,and everyone that they have investigated has come down to the poor cables and rubbish splitter that has been fitted. He also told me that Coachman , who also use the avtex whip aerial, they have not had one complaint.

So you have to ask the question regarding the person from Elddis who spoke to one of the CT members ( mentioned on one of the post above) were he stated that they have had no complaints about the aerial,how they have not heard of so many disgruntled owners.

If anybody who is still having problems,contact your dealer and ask for the cables to be changed and the splitter. Or contact Avtex,who will be more than happy to sort the problem out. Hope it helps Scoobz.

Edited by Scoobz, 19 October 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#132 mcbrucer

mcbrucer

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Caravan:Elddis Avante 636

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the update Scoobz.

is the splitter something like this?

http://www.screwfix....tails_container

#133 cogit

cogit

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Towcar:SsangYong Korando SE4 (AWD)
  • Caravan:Elddis Affinity 482

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for your comprehensive update Scoobz - I've sent you a PM about this.

I was appalled on Tuesday at the way the chap from Elddis said they were not aware of the problem and from what you say this was obviously untrue.

My dealer had a supply of aerials sent to him by Elddis (not aware of the problem???!!) and have swopped mine over. Done no good whatsoever.

Can you see Elddis recalling all vans to have new cabling put in? I intend writing to the MD personally to see what they are going to do about it.

#134 Vin Blanc

Vin Blanc

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Satellite TV in caravans

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

This is where, as a member of the Caravan Club, I would expect them to take up the problem with Elddis on behalf of it's members.

But it's not going to happen because the CC is not really a club but a business, and it wouldn't want to "rock the boat". 

In all the years that I have been a member, I have never known the CC to take up an issue with a manufacturer which is a pity really as the CC is a body that could carry quite a bit of "clout" if it chose to!

Vin Blanc

#135 Scoobz

Scoobz

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the update Scoobz.

is the splitter something like this?

http://www.screwfix....tails_container

Hi Mcbrucer, that looks like the one ,but I will confirm it tomorrow when I look in the van. The chap from Avtex,advised me to get the one from Maplins. He couldn't remember the name but said they were very good at Maplins and would advise us which one to buy. The guy from Avtex also said the one that Elddis used,when they tested it they found that the signal lost 5db ( sorry if I got the db wrong) which was quite a lot. Cheers Scoobz

Edited by Scoobz, 19 October 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#136 JCloughie

JCloughie

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning
  • Towcar:Peugeot 4007
  • Caravan:Bailey Valencia

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

This is where, as a member of the Caravan Club, I would expect them to take up the problem with Elddis on behalf of it's members.

But it's not going to happen because the CC is not really a club but a business, and it wouldn't want to "rock the boat". 

In all the years that I have been a member, I have never known the CC to take up an issue with a manufacturer which is a pity really as the CC is a body that could carry quite a bit of "clout" if it chose to!

Vin Blanc

I will second that.

I am speaking from the experience of buying a brand new van, finding it dangerous to tow, getting it tested by the Ministry of Transport and having it declared dangerous.  Still no support from CC.

Admittedly that was a long time ago but there is no evidence of change.

John

Edited by JCloughie, 19 October 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#137 Scoobz

Scoobz

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Vin Blanc

Well said,couldn't agree more. But personally Elddis should hold there hands up and put the matter right.there is a definite attitude from dealers that know they are fitting (shall I say not top end products) these fixtures,but instead of trying to correct the matter,will do everything in there powers to try and do the opposite.
If you take Whale for example,they are not a massive company by any means, but they have been unbelievable in trying to resolve the heating issue that a lot of people have had. And no doubt it has hit them financially to some degree, but publicly it has been brilliant for them,and quite rightly so.
People have invested a hell of a lot of money with Elddis,and to expect to get a tv signal in your van,I don't think is a unreasonable request. But I totally agree with your point . Cheers Scoobz

#138 chrisheg

chrisheg

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

Hi , just thought I would give an update. Went to the NEC yesterday, seen the chap who sold me my van last year.He asked had I finally managed to sort out my aerial problem, I told him about everything that happened,and about all of the other owners who had problems. He tried for myself to meet the person responsible from Elddis ,who dealt with this issue. Sadly she wasn't there,he told me to stand and wait,which I did for a while but got fed up standing so went to the Avtex stand and had a very good conversation with one of there representatives.

He informed me that they were just as fed up as myself with the problem,and that they were not happy with the way Elddis have ignored the issue. He said it had got so bad that one of the senior personnel from Avtex was having a meeting yesterday afternoon with Elddis.they have identified the problem being the poor quality of the internal cables and splitter that Elddis have installed. He went on to tell me he had lost count of the amount of Elddis owners who have complained about the aerial problem,and everyone that they have investigated has come down to the poor cables and rubbish splitter that has been fitted. He also told me that Coachman , who also use the avtex whip aerial, they have not had one complaint.

So you have to ask the question regarding the person from Elddis who spoke to one of the CT members ( mentioned on one of the post above) were he stated that they have had no complaints about the aerial,how they have not heard of so many disgruntled owners.

If anybody who is still having problems,contact your dealer and ask for the cables to be changed and the splitter. Or contact Avtex,who will be more than happy to sort the problem out. Hope it helps Scoobz.

Thanks Scoobs

After reading your posting I forwarded it to my repairer who currently has my van looking into this problem.  Forwarded it to them 10pm on Saturday night and he replied within an hour to say that they would contact Elddis on Monday to try to get approval to change the cable and splitter.  That sounds like customer service to me.

#139 Scoobz

Scoobz

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

Chrisheg, my god that is customer service. If you don't get any joy from Elddis, try contacting Avtex and see if they can help. Cheers Scoobz

#140 peterjohn

peterjohn

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Digital photography, Walking.
  • Towcar:Citroen C-Crosser 2.2 Exclusive
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 470

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

If Elddis have another "LIVE" night :blink:  It would be a good opportunity to bring this point up. If everyone did this it would either MAKE them do something or give the moderators a busy night  :ph34r: ....Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users