Ask Elddis About Product Development

Hi, There's been several discussions around the Avtex pigtail tv aerial and people seem to be getting different results when compared to Status aerials. Do you suggestions on way to improve signal such as having signal boosters, etc. ??

Hi AndyN16,

The Avtex Digital and FM/AM Antenna runs on12 volt with low power consumption and already has an integrated high gain amplifier. There is no customer setup required (tunes automatically). The only time there may be interference with the aerial is if the signal was obstructed for example in a built up area. Generally we receive positive feedback about the aerial and it has been in use for some time in New Zealand and Australia also.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Angela Robson

I was quite impressed with a motor home which had a double bed that lowered from the roof space at the touch of a button. It was ready made up for a comfy nights sleep.

Hi Lefthand Down

I have also seen these designs which are becoming more popular in mainland Europe. The benefits of this design are the small frontal area of the vehicle, which is more like a low-line vehicle rather than a traditional Luton bed over the cab. The problem that I can see is the lack of space under the bed when it is down, this significantly reduces the headroom in the made up bed below. What do you think about the space under the bed? is it acceptable from a customer's viewpoint?

Regards

Alan

We have the Affinity 530 and are delighted with it in all respects (a few QC matters aside). My wife is convinced it was designed by a woman as the kitchen layout is the best that we have seen in any van from any manufacturer, ever! The liveability of he 530 is outstanding and we have had four Compass/Elddis caravans including top end models but the Affinity is the best yet. Development possibilities include:

The bathroom is huge and functional but in future models there would be great benefit to have somewhere to put something down. Currently I have to put razor, foam, toothpaste etc. on the toilet seat.

I have also retrofitted battery lighting in the wardrobe. It is a very big useful wardrobe and would benefit from fitted lighting. on the back of this, with the availability of low cost LED lighting, interior locker and cupboard lighting in deeper storage areas.

The possibility of an Elddis upgradable TV. Our dealership were inundated with requests to upgrade to a larger screen. Blu-ray capability to allow home videos to go on the road?

Possible reinstatement of the Status TV antenna's across the range.

Built-in retractable steps on high end models.

Hi Tiger

This is a good idea and one we have looked at several times in the past, the issue has been what to use the space for during the day, for example if you put this in the bedroom then you would be using your bedroom space for other things during the day. Want do you think about using your bedroom as living space?

Also a lot of our customers like having the fixed bed as totally fixed so they do not have to make the bed up before bed time, the fold out bed system acts against this to a certain degree, would this not give you an issue?

Regards

Alan

I've seen double beds in houses which can fold up to the wall with the bedding (or at least the sheets) still fitted. The trick is folding it as one unit.

In terms of the use, in the bedroom is fine - my sister was really struggling for somewhere for her 2 year old to play, and we have a similar issue with having nowhere for the dog bed during the day

Hi Steamdrivenandy,

More recently Elddis have been increasing the length of all beds both in the front bunks and also the fixed rear beds. Most of the rear beds are 6ft 4" in length. What length of bed would you like to see and in which layout?

Kind regrds,

Angela Robson

I'd make it mandatory that all manufacturers ensure that at least one bed in all their vans is 6ft 5ins long and doesn't require one occupant to climb over another. That allows for differing length single beds, giving designers some flexibility. Lengthways or acrossways doesn't bother me.

Another issue I find baffling is why the currently fashionable twin singles lengthways aren't offered with lower storage underneath and upholstered removable backrests to allow them to be used as comfortable seating during the day. It seems a wasted space if it can only be used at night.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

100W solar panel with suitable charge controller would be my choice and obviously a fitted battery. Rear parking sensors would be a major improvement for me or a reversing camera, both with a radio connection to the car also tyre pressure monitors radio of course!!

Dave

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

I installed my own panel, and agree on the need for the regulator. The simple way is to terminate at a suitable point for the regulator to be fitted, somewhere near the battery.

Hi Tigger

The regulator is normally specific to the panel manufacturer, so we cannot fit this as standard plus they are quite expensive. We currently have a 12v socket fitted in the battery box connected to the battery, this allows for a charging connection,ie solar panel, and also a 12v supply to the awning, we use a bullet connector. Many of our customers use this to connect a panel. It is fitted as part of our entertainment option, or standard depending on the vehicle model. What do you think about this?

Regards

Alan

Sorry the forum's been a bit slow, we're working on a fix!

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

Do you see a time in the future when you will feel confident enough to make your 10 year water ingress warranty transferable? This would give buyers that extra confidence that a trade in value would be higher. Of course there would have to be a stamped service book and yearly tests, but I feel that it would be a giant step forward. .....Peterjohn

Hi peterjohn,

In establishing our policy we benchmarked the industry and ensured that we were offering a competitive warranty to our customers. It is is nice to hear your thoughts with regards to the transferability of the 10 year warranty and we may give this future consideration.

Kind regards,

Angela Robson

We have the Affinity 530 and are delighted with it in all respects (a few QC matters aside). My wife is convinced it was designed by a woman as the kitchen layout is the best that we have seen in any van from any manufacturer, ever! The liveability of he 530 is outstanding and we have had four Compass/Elddis caravans including top end models but the Affinity is the best yet. Development possibilities include:

The bathroom is huge and functional but in future models there would be great benefit to have somewhere to put something down. Currently I have to put razor, foam, toothpaste etc. on the toilet seat.

I have also retrofitted battery lighting in the wardrobe. It is a very big useful wardrobe and would benefit from fitted lighting. on the back of this, with the availability of low cost LED lighting, interior locker and cupboard lighting in deeper storage areas.

The possibility of an Elddis upgradable TV. Our dealership were inundated with requests to upgrade to a larger screen. Blu-ray capability to allow home videos to go on the road?

Possible reinstatement of the Status TV antenna's across the range.

Built-in retractable steps on high end models.

Hi Alistairr

I glad to hear you like the Affinity 530 and yes our design team does in fact include 2 women both of whom were involved with the 530.

On the issue of wardrobe lights these are fitted in the top ranges and this is due to specification levels but is an issue I am happy to raise again with the development team.

With respect to TVs we look at these every year and debate if customers really want one with the caravan. Some customers ask for them not to be provided and the cost reduced accordingly, others asked for a larger TV.

Finally on the aerial all the testing we carried out on both aerials showed the Avtec aerial to perform better than the Status in nearly all situations.

Your view on the TV would be of interest to us?

Regards

David

From 22/05/15 no longer working for Elddis

100W solar panel with suitable charge controller would be my choice and obviously a fitted battery. Rear parking sensors would be a major improvement for me or a reversing camera, both with a radio connection to the car also tyre pressure monitors radio of course!!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your input, we will give your suggestion consideration for future designs. Please feel free to forward any other suggestions.

Regards

Graham

Sorry, the controller is not normally specific to the Panel. A suitable modern controller is about £60 for a very good one.

Dave

Hi Tigger

The regulator is normally specific to the panel manufacturer, so we cannot fit this as standard plus they are quite expensive. We currently have a 12v socket fitted in the battery box connected to the battery, this allows for a charging connection,ie solar panel, and also a 12v supply to the awning, we use a bullet connector. Many of our customers use this to connect a panel. It is fitted as part of our entertainment option, or standard depending on the vehicle model. What do you think about this?

Regards

Alan

Overall I believe you have a great product. It doesn’t need developing, just tweaking, although I realise you have to keep up with the opposition’s new designs.

I think one of the most important aspects of product development, which I’m certain doesn’t currently happen, is for the designer to actually spend a few days in a prototype, preferably with a family. He would soon discover the negatives which could so easily be put right in the design stage. Having recently taken delivery of an Avante 624 and not yet having spent a night in it, I love the layout but it could so easily be made much more user friendly. For example, at the foot of the fixed bed there is what appears to be a cupboard/shelf but with no door, a totally useless waste of valuable space. Why not do away with this and create more kitchen work surface or lounge area by moving the room dividing partition rearwards? There is ample room to move the main wardrobe back by the same distance. As I don’t use the TV I’ll make no comment about the strength of the bracket mounting, I’m sure others will.

Who thought it would be a good idea to position the boiler drain tap forward of the boiler as opposed to rearward? You need to be Mr Tickle or Twizzle to reach the tap.

The offside kitchen cupboard next to the fridge is also next to useless. It would be handy were it to have slide out wire baskets and/or a cutlery drawer and no sink drain right through the middle, severely limiting it’s use! Whilst in the kitchen, how about fitting stops to prevent the opposite kitchen drawer from pulling completely out?

The gas drop vent in the cupboard under the cooker also needs more thought. Most people use this area for pan storage. Have you tried balancing saucepans on a raised vent? Move it nearer the back of the cupboard.

The main criticism has to be saved for the positioning of the space heater gas isolating valve under the fixed bed in such a vulnerable place. This area is trumpeted as a massive storage area with access from the external locker. Anyone putting anything, a chair for example, in from outside is highly likely to damage the valve, a potentially dangerous situation.

Eighteen grand for a caravan yet the locker shelves are a cost extra? Pleeese! Only one shelf in the oven? Try cooking with it.

Sorry if I’ve given the impression I’m not happy with my Avante, I really am pleased with it. It’s just that a little thought could have made it so much better.

I’ll let you know about the heating and lighting in the autumn.

I've seen double beds in houses which can fold up to the wall with the bedding (or at least the sheets) still fitted. The trick is folding it as one unit.

In terms of the use, in the bedroom is fine - my sister was really struggling for somewhere for her 2 year old to play, and we have a similar issue with having nowhere for the dog bed during the day

Hi Tigger

I like your idea about a play room where the bed would leave an empty space, this would be good for kids, also thought it might be a good idea to have the bed make into a seating bunk when the bed is folded up for additional seating, what do you think?

I still think some of our customers like the idea of a totally fixed bed, as it would be in their bedroom at home, even if it was easy to convert to a bed, also for customers without kids or that have grown up families . .. what would they do with all that empty space?

Regards

Alan

Just a thought. ..if you are so confident that no water can penetrate the interior will the caravans need a yearly damp survey?

Hi Caravanmedicswindon

We would agree that the yearly damp check may become unnecessary. We are 100% confident in our new construction system but with any new product it takes time for customers to get confidence in the product. Therefore to ensure our customers have piece of mind, we are still requesting that a damp check is undertaken to clearly show to the customers that the water has not penetrated the SoLiD joint.

Regards

David

We have heated debates in our development meeting on issues such as showers, ovens and microwave and if you our customers really want or need then. It would be good to get your thoughts in these issues today.

Regards

David

Three of the most under-used items in a caravan. The oven serves ad extra storage, The microwaves get removed by some and others find the height they are fitted un-friendly. The shower to me is just a good way of adding damp to the van. (split trays and lack of pressure available giving some problems)

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Hi Everyone

We think every one of you could be a budding caravan designer!... If you had carte blanche, what would be your ideal caravan layout and who would that layout be best suited to?

No ideas considered too wacky!

Rachel

Come on Everyone!

Have we got every layout in the bag . .. or do you think we're missing a golden opportunity?

Share your ideas and, who knows, your layout could make it into production. :D

I'd make it mandatory that all manufacturers ensure that at least one bed in all their vans is 6ft 5ins long and doesn't require one occupant to climb over another. That allows for differing length single beds, giving designers some flexibility. Lengthways or acrossways doesn't bother me.

Another issue I find baffling is why the currently fashionable twin singles lengthways aren't offered with lower storage underneath and upholstered removable backrests to allow them to be used as comfortable seating during the day. It seems a wasted space if it can only be used at night.

Hi Steamdrivenandy,

Many customers have different views on the use of internal space. What would you choose to reduce in size in order to gain the additional length on the bed? Also check out our recent caravans you may be pleasantly surprised! for example we have one 6ft 5 bed in the new Crusader Cyclone with fantastic storage beneath the twin beds. The removeable backrest could be a great idea what does everyone else think?

Kind regards,

Angela Robson

Sorry, the controller is not normally specific to the Panel. A suitable modern controller is about £60 for a very good one.

Dave

Hi Dave

The regulator is normally supplied with the panel from the manufacturer, so most people would have one if they had bought the panel. We prefer to give our customers the choice of which panel to buy rather than forcing a particular manufacturer on them. Customers also keep their panels and retrofit them to our vans when they buy them, so fitting as standard might be seen as a negative to those people and could affect the competitive price of our vehicles.

Regards

Alan

Three of the most under-used items in a caravan. The oven serves ad extra storage, The microwaves get removed by some and others find the height they are fitted un-friendly. The shower to me is just a good way of adding damp to the van. (split trays and lack of pressure available giving some problems)

Shows how we are all different! We use the oven a lot as we do the microwave. The shower less so but we do spend quite a few nights away on CLs hence the Solar panel need.

Dave

Dave

I agree. I didn't even spend that much.

. ... Customers also keep their panels and retrofit them to our vans when they buy them, so fitting as standard might be seen as a negative to those people and could affect the competitive price of our vehicles. ...

The fitting kit costs as much as the panel these days, so I wouldn't bother taking mine off.

Hi Steamdrivenandy,

Many customers have different views on the use of internal space. What would you choose to reduce in size in order to gain the additional length on the bed? Also check out our recent caravans you may be pleasantly surprised! for example we have one 6ft 5 bed in the new Crusader Cyclone with fantastic storage beneath the twin beds. The removeable backrest could be a great idea what does everyone else think?

Kind regards,

Angela Robson

ps. I am a 5ft 3 lady and would like to see a larger kitchen LOL

Hi Caravanmedicswindon

We would agree that the yearly damp check may become unnecessary. We are 100% confident in our new construction system but with any new product it takes time for customers to get confidence in the product. Therefore to ensure our customers have piece of mind, we are still requesting that a damp check is undertaken to clearly show to the customers that the water has not penetrated the SoLiD joint.

Regards

David

Can I assume I test in the same way as a traditional constructed caravan?

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Hi Lefthand Down

So what would be your proposal for our development team. .. remove all three items or would you propose a complete re look at the facilities provided in the caravan?

What is the other members' view on these items, as this could be a big debate for our development team.

Regards

David

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.