Photo

Heavy Caravans >1750 Kgs - What Do You Tow With?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
101 replies to this topic

#81 ad210358

ad210358

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

Caravan never gets loaded to maximum and it tows just fine thanks :)

Towing it is one thing, stopping it is another.

#82 Smax Jonny

Smax Jonny

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

I have a twin uprated to 1750 kg, just moved away from 4x4 I now tow with a Merc 250 e class estate best thing I ever did, just come back from Spain, the car averaged 31mpg towing, it averages 64mpg solo.

Phil.

Phil - how do you find the Merc tows. Ours can be a bit twitchy on motorways due to winds or fast approaching vehicles ?

#83 phil1041

phil1041

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

I must be honest, I was not sure at first as I went from a large 4x4 (XC90) to the merc, however, I need not have worried,

I have not noticed any increase in the affect of winds or overtaking vehicles and believe me we had both en route to Spain!! I have the self levelling suspension, I don't know if that makes a difference but the car tows brilliantly.

Phil.

#84 The Waltons

The Waltons

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes and motor sport.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

Phil, I would'nt call an XC90 a large 4x4!!!!

#85 phil1041

phil1041

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

OK what's a large one then?

Phil.

#86 The Waltons

The Waltons

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

OK what's a large one then?

Phil.

Mine for a start off, but the list is too big,Pathfinders,landrovers,isuzzu's,rangerovers etc, 4x4's not crossovers.

#87 phil1041

phil1041

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Nope the Shogun and the Range Rover about 2cm longer and the same width as the XC90 check the dimensions!!

The XC 90 is no crossover, sure you are not getting mixed up with the other Volvo XC models?

Phil.

#88 The Waltons

The Waltons

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

Nope the Shogun and the Range Rover about 2cm longer and the same width as the XC90 check the dimensions!!

The XC 90 is no crossover, sure you are not getting mixed up with the other Volvo XC models?

Phil.

Hi Phil, does the XC90 have a high and low ratio gearbox ? Does it have diff lock? Does it have selectable 2 or 4 wheel drive?

The dimensions you have quoted do not make it a 4x4. Yes its in constant 4 wheel drive, thats it! As I said a crossover.

#89 phil1041

phil1041

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

Actually I have just checked and the XC90 is considerably BIGGER than the shogun 4798 cm long as opposed to 4385 and its 1898 cm wide as opposed to the Shogun which is only 1875cm wide,

I rest my case re bigger!! or larger to use your words.

Phil.

Edited by phil1041, 20 June 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#90 The Waltons

The Waltons

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

Actually I have just checked and the XC90 is considerably BIGGER than the shogun 4798 cm long as opposed to 4385 and its 1898 cm wide as opposed to the Shogun which is only 1875cm wide,

I rest my case re bigger!! or larger to use your words.

Phil.

Ok Phil, As I have already asked, does it have high/ low box? Does it have diff lock? Does it have 2 or 4 wheel drive? NO it has not. You can play all you like on words but its an SUV not a  full on 4x4.

As for the size, yes Mine is BIGGER its actually 4900 you have quoted the length of the short wheelbase version.

#91 phil1041

phil1041

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

I thought we were talking about size, you used the word big, I fail to see what a diff lock or a dual range gearbox  has to do with its size??

I took the dimensions of the shogun from here no mention of short wheelbase, however I will stand to be corrected if What Car is wrong of course

http://www.whatcar.c...d2=#Performance

Either way, I think you would have to agree that the XC90 is a big 4x4 like I said in the first place??

All that said, I prefer the Merc, getting back to the original point, more comfortable and MUCH more economical.

Phil.

Edited by phil1041, 20 June 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#92 The Waltons

The Waltons

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

No I don't agree. The xc90 is a big estate with constant 4 wheel drive. Enough said. As for the dimensions they came out of the manual and brochure.

As for the original point, i am glad you get a good MPG. Thats not important to me, but would have been nice.

#93 phil1041

phil1041

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

I guess we will have to disagree then, the car I have now is an estate car, the XC90 is no estate car, in my opinion of course,

Volvo do make a full range of estate cars, some with 4 wheel drive too.

Phil.

#94 pagan

pagan

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:computer gaming.Visiting old properties.
  • Towcar:Volvo XC70 D5 Se Lux Nav 215 MY2013
  • Caravan:Lunar Ultima extra 640 2013 &4wd mover

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

I guess we will have to disagree then, the car I have now is an estate car, the XC90 is no estate car, in my opinion of course,

Volvo do make a full range of estate cars, some with 4 wheel drive too.

Phil.

I agree with you phil.It is not an estate car it is a purpose built vehicle with 4 wheel drive and is bigger than a lot of other 4x4.What high and low ratio have to do with it I don't know.You don't go off roading up mountains with a caravan on the back or crossing raging rivers.Has the Shogun got a snorkel device fitted since some 4x4 people would insist that that is what makes it an off road vehicle. Some people as I said have now moved the goal posts in that a large 4x4 has to not only be big but fitted with high and low ratio boxes must have mud tyres etc.I thought this was a caravan forum not an off road mine is bigger than yours 4x4 forum. Large estate cars are just as capable of towing large caravans as the chelsea tractor brigade .I think the Waltons sell 4x4 off road vehicles or are trying to justify  having 1 in the first place. Can you imagine all the caravan sites with large 4x4 vehicles on them because the caravan weighs more than 1600 kgs.

#95 The Waltons

The Waltons

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

I agree with you phil.It is not an estate car it is a purpose built vehicle with 4 wheel drive and is bigger than a lot of other 4x4.What high and low ratio have to do with it I don't know.You don't go off roading up mountains with a caravan on the back or crossing raging rivers.Has the Shogun got a snorkel device fitted since some 4x4 people would insist that that is what makes it an off road vehicle. Some people as I said have now moved the goal posts in that a large 4x4 has to not only be big but fitted with high and low ratio boxes must have mud tyres etc.I thought this was a caravan forum not an off road mine is bigger than yours 4x4 forum. Large estate cars are just as capable of towing large caravans as the chelsea tractor brigade .I think the Waltons sell 4x4 off road vehicles or are trying to justify  having 1 in the first place. Can you imagine all the caravan sites with large 4x4 vehicles on them because the caravan weighs more than 1600 kgs.

I think you need to calm down mate ! I dont sell 4x4's and I dont live in Chelsea ! I bought a 4x4 because I wanted a heavy tow car and could afford one !

#96 Smarty

Smarty

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think the older Land Rover Discoveries had diff locks. Does that mean they're not 4x4s then? In that case, what are they?
What's the definition of a 4x4?

#97 pagan

pagan

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:computer gaming.Visiting old properties.
  • Towcar:Volvo XC70 D5 Se Lux Nav 215 MY2013
  • Caravan:Lunar Ultima extra 640 2013 &4wd mover

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

I am perfectly calm I just find your pre occupation with the fact that if a caravan is a bit heavy it has to be towed with a 4x4 as long as it conforms to your interpretation of a 4x4.Good luck to you that you can afford to buy and run such a big 4x4 but stop telling everyone else that because they choose to use a different vehicle that they are a danger and just waiting for an accident to happen because it is not true .Because you had a bad experience with a Sorento which was a 4x4 or was it ! does not mean that other peoples combinations are dangerous and irresponsible.There are many  people towing large caravans with large cars and they are not scattered in pieces all over the highways ,if it was such a problem the nanny state would have brought out a law to ban all larger caravans unless towed by large 4x4 vehicles conforming to your opinion of what constitutes a large 4x4.Now I am fed up with this post so will not be commenting anymore.

#98 beejay

beejay

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

What's the definition of a 4x4?

A vehicle with 4 wheels (2 axles) all driven

4 x 2 vehicle has 2 axles with one driven

6 x 2 vehicle has 3 axles with one driven

6 x 4 vehicle has 3 axles of which 2 are driven

#99 clairendave

clairendave

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, my family
    Caravaning.
    Even my job

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

Why would diff locks and a high/low ratio box make any difference to safety?? I thought they would just allow getting off a wet hilly field a lot easier. After all would you run locked diffs and low ratio on the road in normal conditions?
As far as i can see the only benefit you will get is a higher kerb weight due to all the extra bits adding weight and increasing fuel consumption.

#100 phil1041

phil1041

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

My fault guys, I merely said that I had a big 4x4 (XC90) and then the trouble started! apologies to the OP for hi jacking the thread a little, but please consider a large heavy Estate Car to tow your van.

Phil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users