4 replies to this topic

#1 financialombudsman

financialombudsman

New to the board

• Caravan Talk Expert
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

Hello everyone

My name is Caroline Wells and I am the head of outreach at the Financial Ombudsman Service - the free service set up by law that you can talk to if you're unhappy with your bank or insurance company.

While I can't help you decide between the dream A class or a classic airstream, I can help you with any financial questions. Whether you are concerned about caravan finance or insurance, get in touch and we should be able to point you in the right direction.

Every month or so I'll pop in to give you guys an update on what's going on in the world of caravan finance - and share my top tips to keep you on the road.

Of course we're happy to answer any financial queries you may have - they don't necessarily need to be about caravans. We'll do our best to get back to any questions we receive within 3 working days.

For the time being you can check out our recent articles on our Financial Ombudsman Service page.

Thanks

Caroline

#2 shazjag

shazjag

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

Hello and welcome to CT, thank you for your offer of advice.

#3 KontikiKid

KontikiKid

Over 1000 posts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts
  • Interests:Motorhomes, Boeing 757's, HSC's, cross channel ferries

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

Caroline

Welcome to CaravanTalk

I appreciate this may or may not be your "field" but you might have some pointers. 

From time to time, we hear about folks who buy a product and it is defective - not necessarily a caravan or motorhome. It seems there is some recourse through section 74 - ie when the item is on finance. Do you have any links/guidelines consumers could follow in this respect, should the need arise? 

As I say, appreciate it may not be your field, but equally it might be - for example, if the consumer is not happy with the response from the finance provider???

Regards

Russell 

#4 financialombudsman

financialombudsman

New to the board

• Caravan Talk Expert
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

Hi Shazjag and Russell

Firstly, thank you for your warm welcome to Caravan Talk - I'm really pleased to be here!  

Thank you for your question and the simple answer is yes, we have a lot of guidance available on using section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (CCA) (I am assuming that this is what you meant when you referred to section 74 - if I have misunderstood this then do let me know). I have included a link below to the online resource section of our website. The guidance we offer ranges from technical notes to simple case studies of complaints we have actually dealt with in the consumer credit area.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/consumer_credit_resource.html  

Basically, section 75 can offer your extra legal protection if the goods or services you buy on credit do not arrive or are not of the standard which you would reasonably expect. But, be aware that there are certain conditions that need to be met in order to make a claim. For example, the goods or services need to be between £100 and £30,000 and there needs to be a direct link between you as the buyer, the person or organisation supplying the goods and the credit provider. You can find a good succinct explanation of this here:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/102/102-section75.html

I hope you find this useful. If you have any other questions just let me know.  

Thanks

Caroline

#5 KontikiKid

KontikiKid

Over 1000 posts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts
  • Interests:Motorhomes, Boeing 757's, HSC's, cross channel ferries

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

Thanks Caroline

Yes I had muddled up the 1974 with the 74 and 75! The numbers are right but in the wrong place! 

Cheers

Rusty 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: caravanfinance, money, problem, complaint, financial, ombudsman, credit, debt, loan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users