Photo

Dorema Mistral Or Sunncamp Rotonde 300 Porch Awnings?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pagsuk

Pagsuk

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Hill Walking with my dog, reading, a beer or two!

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hi all

We have recently moved to caravaning from camping and had our first holiday away - two weeks at the end of May. Loved the caravan experience (albeit in our old 'girl') but hated the awning experience!

We had bought a new Outdoor Revolution Compactalite Carbon EX as it gave us a decent sized sitting area as well as a bedroom. It did leak - but that prooved to be initial use and after drying out seems water tight now. The problem lies in that it took quite a while to pitch and dismantle. Appriciate this will get better now we have worked out how it all goes together but one of the reasons we have moved to caravaning is to get away from the endless setting up and packing up at the end.

So we thought we would be better off with a simple one pole porch awning to give some 'living' space and a seperate pup tent for the times we need an extra bed space. Been looking at the Dorema Mistral Ripstop and Sunncamp Rotonde 300 - anyone got any opinions?

Thanks. Adrian

PS we are now going to sell the Compactalite so if anyone is interested send me a message!

Edited by Pagsuk, 06 June 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#2 icepuffin

icepuffin

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,retirement & training dogs for the disabled

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

We have just bought the rotonde awning, but probably too early to say what it is like. My first impressions are that it is certainly lightweight and so much easier to put up than the suncamp quattro that we have. The downside is that it is so light that you have to be careful in any medium strong winds as the first time we had to wait until the wind had subsided, having said that once up it seemed to be stable enough. we have been looking a while now for a 300cm wide awning and the other options are the contempo or the ranger.

#3 jase525

jase525

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:motocross, motorsport
  • Towcar:2014 Ford ranger 2.2 auto limited
  • Caravan:2011 bailey barcelona

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

I have a dorema mistral ripstop that is fitted to my unicorn Barcelona used it 4 times, brilliant awning doesn't leak and can be erected in 15 minutes by one person and only cost £200, this was bought after using our full dorema exclusive 250 awning for the first time!

#4 jase525

jase525

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

I meant to write dorema supreme xl 270, not dorema exclusive 250, still not worth 5 times the price of the mistral ripstop

#5 PhilLees

PhilLees

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

We use the Sunncamp Rotande, used it 3 times now.
Our last trip was an 8 nights stay in windy Brean so I can definitely say with confidence that it copes well with the wind !!!
Is it a good awning ? You can't go wrong for money.
My only negative about it, and I suppose it's my fault for not noticing it is the usable internal size of it. With the angled and shaped front it leaves you with a lot of dead space inside it. Stick in a couple of deck chairs and the awning is soon full. We'll stick with it for this season and then look for something else maybe next year for the longer holidays and just use it at a weekend.
Phil.

#6 Pagsuk

Pagsuk

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Hill Walking with my dog, reading, a beer or two!

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

I have a dorema mistral ripstop that is fitted to my unicorn Barcelona used it 4 times, brilliant awning doesn't leak and can be erected in 15 minutes by one person and only cost £200, this was bought after using our full dorema exclusive 250 awning for the first time!

Am liking the sound fo the Mistral! How well does it sit up to the van - does it use any pads/poles at all?

Thanks again

#7 jase525

jase525

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

Am liking the sound fo the Mistral! How well does it sit up to the van - does it use any pads/poles at all?

Thanks again

#8 jase525

jase525

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

It doesn't use pads it's held only by the ground ties we have been on the north Norfolk coast in rain which lasted 7 hours and hardly any water ingression to mention just a few drops on the skirt the man frame is 3 sections with 2 guy ropes on the front light weight waterproof 10-15 mins to erect and cheap

#9 PR1

PR1

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, gardening, Land Rovers

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

We use a Sunncamp swift XL porch awning. I put it up in under 15 minutes on my own. It is very lightweight and has stood up to near gale conditions. We use it all year round, and it is nearing being used for 150 nights and is still perfect.
It got very muddy earlier this year, so I put it in the washing machine, and it came out clean. Just used water to wash it with and no detergents. When we put it up the next time it is still fully waterproof!
Sat in it now in the South of France!

Forgot to say, the poles are at the front of the awning, well away from the caravan, and it was under 100 pounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users