#1 fallguy

fallguy

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:vannin, red wine, hot tubbin, just chillin

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

hi all , i have changed the towcar and going to swap my 12s socket over, i have a durite 140 amp split charge relay and want to fit it in the engine bay . is there any concerns regarding this with the heat build up under the bonnet?  or should it be ok'

#2 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,158 posts
  • Interests:fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

Its normally fitted in the boot, presumable to detect any voltage drop in the supply cable, along with it usually being more convenient for connecting to the multicore from the socket

Give a towbar fitter a ring and ask the question.

Edited by xtrailman, 01 May 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#3 Guest_Inner State_*

Guest_Inner State_*

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Under the bonnet is fine, there are some arguments that it would be better there too.

J

#4 Capricorn12

Capricorn12

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  • Interests:Photography and caravanning

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

I fitted a relay once in the engine compartment 300mm from the battery via a 30 amp fuse and was switched from the alternator.  The fridge in the van ran superbly on 12v and the relay never gave any problems. I did get given me some extremely thick cable to run to the 12S socket that looked like it could handle 60 amps or more so that helped as well.

#5 harry.m1byt

harry.m1byt

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts
  • Interests:Being cantankerous :-)

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

hi all , i have changed the towcar and going to swap my 12s socket over, i have a durite 140 amp split charge relay and want to fit it in the engine bay . is there any concerns regarding this with the heat build up under the bonnet?  or should it be ok'

There is no reason why not, in fact it was easier to mount the alternator w/l switched ones there. The more modern voltage switched ones are slightly more conveient to mount in the boot area, with just a single feed wire from the front, with the relay providing two outputs (battery charge + fridge).

What ever you do, ignore the conventional sizing for the feed cable from the front to the rear of the car. The size suggested is fine for current rating, but not for volts drop. Use 4mm or even better 6mm to get maximum voltage out to the caravan, to get best performance from the fridge and properly charge the battery.

#6 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,158 posts
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

Harry
I hope you aren't suggesting that the charger supply is taken through the relay contact?

As the permanent supply is exactly that, available at all times.

I also prefer two separate feeds, so any faults can be more easily located, fused separately one 3mm for the permanent supply, one 3mm for the fridge via the voltage sensing relay.

#7 harry.m1byt

harry.m1byt

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

Harry
I hope you aren't suggesting that the charger supply is taken through the relay contact?

I also prefer two separate feeds, so any faults can be more easily located, fused separately one 3mm for the permanent supply, one 3mm for the fridge via the voltage sensing relay.

The way I do it is....

One main supply permanently live from the battery or where ever the manufacturer has designated, fused at 30amps, going to the rear. That then splits to fridge and charge via the voltage relay each fused at 20amp plus a permanent 12v supply. Front to rear you use a 4mm or even better 6mm cable to take care of volts drop.

#8 fallguy

fallguy

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:vannin, red wine, hot tubbin, just chillin

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

ok folks, thanks for all your input. ive taken on board the cable size too, going to fit the heavier gauge while im at it'

#9 harry.m1byt

harry.m1byt

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Harry

Having just reread that....

Of course the charging supply goes through the relay, otherwise when you try to start the vehicle it would attempt to draw current via your cable and the leisure battery.

The permanent 12v is just that, a 12v supply which is on all of the time. On my van, with it coupled to the car, the van automatically draws its current from the car's battery. Something to be aware of if you are maybe using the van to overnight, with the van still coupled to the car.

#10 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,158 posts
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

If I'm reading your post correctly you don't understand how the system works?

The permanent live feeds the ATC and should never go through a voltage sensing relay, it also charges the battery in the caravan.

However to charge the caravan battery the fridge supply must be present to the caravan habitation relays.
A normally open contact off one of the relays then feeds the permanent supply to the caravan battery.

#11 harry.m1byt

harry.m1byt

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

If I'm reading your post correctly you don't understand how the system works?

The permanent live feeds the ATC and should never go through a voltage sensing relay, it also charges the battery in the caravan.

However to charge the caravan battery the fridge supply must be present to the caravan habitation relays.
A normally open contact off one of the relays then feeds the permanent supply to the caravan battery.

Oh yes I do, I clearly said the permanent 12v should remail powered all of the time, that is why it is called a permanet 12v. What varies is whether their are two switched feeds or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users