18 replies to this topic

#1 drewid

drewid

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:All

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

I have my caravan on site. The van has stood for 18months with no use.  I have fitted a new battery that is fully charged.  I am on the site hook up, this is fully working.  I have all 240v working but nothing on the 12v side.  When i switch on the electrics the controle panel lights up then after a few seconds the lights start to flash & i get a audible warning sound.  I have tried the system by removing the hook up & just trying the 12v but nothing works.  I have checked the fuses & have found 2 blown & replced these.  My electrics ase the EC400 unit supplied by Sargent.  I have spoken with them but they say they have never heard of this propblem.  They have offered a repair service but i realy dont want to be without the use of the van for a couple of weeks.  Has anyone had this type of issue before.  Has anyone got any thoughts on what i could check before removing the units.  Thanks for any advise

#2 JanandJay

JanandJay

Brown Ale Tester

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Interests:DIY.
    Lager and Wine
    Motorsport
    The Caravan
  • Towcar:Nissan Pathfinder Aventura
  • Caravan:Lunar Solaris 1

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum...
What make and model van is it?

#3 RYCKO

RYCKO

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Interests:'Vanning, Petrol powered trickertry & My Family

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

When replacing the fuses, do they blow again ?

You may be able to detect a problem within a circuit of the fuses that have blown.

Not wanting to state the obvious, but the fuses will blow when there is a problem within the circuit the protect.

This would be a good starting point if it has been stood for a while. A pain I know but check wiring hasn't shorted, water ingress in applicances (lights, switches) check for small droppings ?? maybe a mouse etc has had a nibble ?

good luck

#4 colin4unow

colin4unow

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Caravans,Nottingham Forest
  • Towcar:Peugeot Partner Tepi Outdoor
  • Caravan:Lunar Venus

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hi Drewid.

Im no expert but something made your 2 fuses blow and I think you should find out what the 2 blown fuses was for and then start looking at that. Also try a different battery if you have one. Hope you get to the bottom of this 

Colin

#5 drewid

drewid

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

My van is a swift 550 new 2010.  I think i may have blown the 2 fuses when i fitted a new 13 pin plug.  The old plug would not turn into the socket on the car.  When i first fitted the plug i got the wires on wrong--more than once so think that is when the fuses blew.  Once changed the fuses have not blown again.  I have been reading some of the forum issues & the charger seems to be a big issue could this be my problem ??  At the weekend i am taking equipement to test circuits etc so was hoping i could get some advise before hand.  I am not an electrician but have a degree in common sence so am pretty good with investigation work

#6 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,097 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

Check the 13 pin plug and socket again?

http://caravanchroni...in-plug-puzzle/

#7 drewid

drewid

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

I have removed & refitted the pin twice so am confident that i have it wired correct

#8 harrybrook

harrybrook

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:motor racing/rugby league

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hi Drewid

You might want to look for an inline 20amp fuse close to the battery box ( sometimes inside the van at the back of the battery compartment ). If this has blown, replace it and all should be well.

Hope this helps you

Harry

#9 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,097 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

I have removed & refitted the pin twice so am confident that i have it wired correct

I did not mean pin13 I meant the whole thing.

#10 Robbie

Robbie

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning; Satellite TV
  • Towcar:2013 Honda CR-V EX 2.2 i.DTEC
  • Caravan:2014 Swift Challenger Sport 514

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

There is no problem with the Sargent chargers, the problem was with the Nordelectric that were fitted to Swifts. 

If you look behind the battery box under the bunk you will see a black plastic fuseholder.  You will notice leads going to it from the box.  It is a 25 amp blade fuse. 

#11 drewid

drewid

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for replies. I did remove the whole plug & rewired it am sure that is correct. The 20 amp fuse from the battery box had blown & I replaced it--- is there more than 1 fuse.

#12 WispMan

WispMan

Milky Way

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,005 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning and astronomy.
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento '54 XE
  • Caravan:Bailey Pageant S7 Burgundy

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

If you are not confident on electrics, (and the problem seems to be electric) then I would get a caravan electrician in as you seem to have checked most things.

#13 BFM

BFM

Super star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Shame you changed the plug, it just needed resetting. With respect, you are blundering around. Please get someone professional to sort this out as you risk doing nore damage. Please don't take offence.

#14 wigelywoo

wigelywoo

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:caravanning

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

You have me confused

You say you have fitted fully charged battery but nothing works on 12 volts but then you go on to talk about your 13 pin plug?????

What circuits were the fuses protecting ( the ones that blew)

Have you switched the caravan battery into the system

Edited by wigelywoo, 02 May 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#15 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,769 posts
  • Interests:fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:06 AM

I would first check that your charger is getting a mains supply, then check for a output from the charger.

I'm not familiar with the swifts, so it may require the battery in circuit to get a output from the charger. Also the charger may be a 3 stage type, at any rate you should have a DC output.

If you have mains on check across the battery to see what volts you get, if its getting a charge volts should be over 12.6 volts, possibly as much as 14.8 approx.

Check that the battery is connected in the right polarity, and that the connections don't have fuses, apparently some do.

Edited by xtrailman, 02 May 2013 - 07:07 AM.

#16 Guest_jks_*

Guest_jks_*

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

Shame you changed the plug, it just needed resetting. With respect, you are blundering around. Please get someone professional to sort this out as you risk doing nore damage. Please don't take offence.

:goodpost:  :goodpost:

#17 drewid

drewid

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

Again many thanks for all your replies.  The reason i changed the plug was because of damage to the casing.  I have a professional guy coming out next week so hopfully will get sorted then.  I dont take offence at all somtimes it is the obvious that you just cant see.  This is my first time on the forum but i am now hooked

#18 BFM

BFM

Super star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Good man. Once you get this little hiccough sorted I'm sure all will go well.

#19 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,769 posts
  • Interests:fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Again many thanks for all your replies.  The reason i changed the plug was because of damage to the casing.  I have a professional guy coming out next week so hopfully will get sorted then.  I dont take offence at all somtimes it is the obvious that you just cant see.  This is my first time on the forum but i am now hooked

The plugs aren't very good IMO, the four centre connections are too close together, so you have to be very careful to make sure no strand is bridging.

Still replacing is a easy diy job, no reason at all that you can't change one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users