#1 Robrs2

Robrs2

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

I have found a cheap, (due to a roof leak) replacement for my old van. One roof panel is distorted due to the leak which has been fixed. i can get a panel to put in and know its not going to be easy to remove all the cupboards. But what is the construction of the roof before I get stuck in.
Has anyone any experience if the repair, photos or link to pages.

Cheers rob

#2 matelodave

matelodave

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, walking, caravanning, reading & drinking beer

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Depends who made the van and how old it is.

Earlier vans were a wooden framework, with hardboard or similar inside and an aluminium sheet over the top. The gap is usually filled with fibreglass insulation. Some vans are still made this way.

Many now have a bonded construction whereby the inner roof,insulation (polystyrene or similar) and outer skin are glued together to make a solid panel.

Have a look at YouTube, there are many videos that show how various vans are put together (Look at the Caravan Channel)

#3 Robrs2

Robrs2

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

This looks like ply with fiber behind. Guessing it has wood battens at some points too

#4 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Maybe you should provide us with the name of the van and model you are attempting to restore?

#5 harry.m1byt

harry.m1byt

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts
  • Interests:Being cantankerous :-)

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Almost certainly there will be a wood frame between alloy skin and the inner lining panel. Between skin and lining there could be polystyrene or fibre glass, sometimes even nothing.

Cupboard and other furniture will usually be fixed with screws from the outside, so repairing from the inside (as you will have to), you need to saw through the fixings, then find a way to refix them after repair, with metal brackets. 

#6 mechs

mechs

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  • Interests:Camping, caravanning, cycling,

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

I, with the help of a mate have been working on an old project and EVERYTHING needed done, today just finally got the roof finished. I took down the old one a it was rotten at either side of the beams (flat roof).

It's aluminium with wooden battens across. The insulation in between the batons is just white fluffy stuff and a thin layer of polystyrene stuck onto the aluminium with spray adhesive. 

Yesterday and today been putting the roof up using hardboard and attaching it to the beams. Bloody alot fiddlier than it looks! Not put pics on laptop but will do soon.  You'll also have to take the skylight out if it's near there but easy done, although I broke mine, also easy done :ph34r:  so on the lookout for a new one. 

#7 Capricorn12

Capricorn12

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  • Interests:Photography and caravanning

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

It is only in the last 5 to 7 years that a full bonded roof has been used on a caravan due to the problems with the curve and bend in the roof. Nearly all caravan roofs have been made with a wooden frame faced on the inside by faced ply and on the outside by aluminium sheet with a form of insulation between. This can be checked by pressing the bend in the roof at the front or rear of the van. If these areas have capping pieces of plastic then the roof should still be moveable in at least a few areas. The inside skin is always divided into at least 3 seperate sheets and normally each seperate sheet will have various strips of wood bracing the panel at various points. This means that a smaller area than a full panel can be repaired on most vans. If the roof has been damaged then cutting away the damage should reveal the construction and the options for repair. It will also let you see if any of the wooden frame is still in need of attention or has been fully restored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users