#1 David Gash

David Gash

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, cycling, gardening

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Hello there
I am currently without a caravan and probably will be for a further 18 months but I will return to caravanning. This time next year I will be handing back my Mercedes E220cdi simply because of price. I am very tempted to buy a new Dacia Duster but I am unsure whether it is a suitable tow car. The model I would choose is the 1.5dci which has 110bhp and a maximium towing weight of 1200kg. Not being technically minded in this area I wondered if anyone can suggest if this would be sufficient bearing in mind that I could purchase a lighter caravan. I realise that the Dacia has only just gone on sale in the UK but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Dave

#2 Surf01

Surf01

Five Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

That means the Dacia does not have much history as a reliable vehicle in this country. Suggest you read Honest John's review It is a Renault in disguise.

Edited by Surf01, 09 January 2013 - 10:41 AM.

#3 ChrisUK

ChrisUK

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Saw loads in France last year, looked smarter than I expected. Kerb weight is only 1294kg though, and only 110bhp, so you would be limited to a very small van.

#4 CommanderDave

CommanderDave

Elite Member

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,013 posts
  • Interests:Model Eng, Jetski, DIY, Caravan, Traction Engines

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

I would look at the Suzuki Jimmy or 3dr Vitara to compare it to?

Dave

#5 Woodie106

Woodie106

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • Interests:Family, Films, Football, Motorhomes, t'internet.
  • Towcar:N/A
  • Caravan:not any more.................

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

I'd ask James May - he's always banging on about dacia's on top gear.................................... :huh:

#6 Fusewire87

Fusewire87

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

I've just had to google Dacia Duster as I remembered that name from my youth (early 80s) and I thought theres no way hes talking about buying one of them; ancient, old, eastern bloc, ugly. Well it seems the name is being used again but the car doesn't look too bad, big improvement on the previous incarnation.

So sorry I have nothing to help in your decision but I'm happy I can still remember back to the early 80s, last years still a problem lol but long term still works. :D

#7 Pollywollydoodle

Pollywollydoodle

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

As you probably know, "Which?" (http://www.which.co.uk) test cars, amongst other things, then publish the results, listing "best buys".

The Dacia Duster has been tested and the result was "don't buy".

#8 henrypartridge

henrypartridge

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Pub CLs, walking my dog, real ale and CURRY
  • Caravan:Bailey Autograph 740 motorhome

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Spend the money on a secondhand car from a reliable manufacturer.

#9 BadbackCol

BadbackCol

CT Ninja

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:All Motor Sports, History of WW2, Caravans,Dogs and my Family's health and well-being.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Unfortunately the Dacia has below par Euro-NCAP results (3 Stars) so while it may be something of a bargain it is not as safe as other cars in the same sector and it’s built on a platform recycled, in part, from Renault’s last-generation Clio.
It is a bargain but don't expect miracles.

Regards.
Col

#10 Gaz40

Gaz40

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

The diesel engine in the duster is from the Renault F series (F9Q – 1.9cc) (F4R – 1.5cc) These engines are proven and reliable, so much so, that Suzuki (mentioned above) fit the (F9Q) in the Vitara.

The chassis I think is from the Dacia Logan and not from the Clio III. The Sandero (super mini) I think again is based on the Clio chassis.

The Duster is Scotland's “Car of the Year” won awards in Germany and is now very popular in France and the rest of Europe.

Its sold in India and Russia badged with Renault emblem (no disguise of Renault there)

You can purchase it with a towing pack (towbar and electrics) I also think there is a roof box option in the pack but not sure.

The Duster interior spec and Sandero safety should be upgraded from the basic European spec, to suite the UK market.

You pays your money and takes your choice and its your choice.

Google Dacia Duster videos and have a peek.

Edited by Gaz40, 10 January 2013 - 12:18 AM.

#11 Surf01

Surf01

Five Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

As you probably know, "Which?" (http://www.which.co.uk) test cars, amongst other things, then publish the results, listing "best buys".

The Dacia Duster has been tested and the result was "don't buy".

Which reports are as reliable as a wet paper bag! Sadly we found out the hard way. It is basically a Renault made in Romania and for the price how can you compare it against current 4 x 4s or crossovers. As long as it is reliable and cheap to repair and does the business, who cares if it is missing air con for example.
The South Africans get it later this month and I would read reviews on the cars there as the roads there would give the Dacia Duster a good hammering! That will soon show up any weaknesses.

#12 Ollies mum

Ollies mum

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

Every Renault dealer I know over here can't get enough of them and the waiting lists are several months long with absolutely no discounts being offered.

Both vets practices we use, used to use various vehicles including Merc. M. Class, Toyota Rav 4's and numerous other 4x4's, both the practices have now transferred totally onto the 4x4 versions of the Duster and are amazed by their economy, quality and reliability under the hardest and toughest of conditions with one of the vets actually owning 2 of them one of which tows a very heavy twin horse box.

As for all the bull about NCAP ratings, well if you want a car that is as heavy as hell and designed to crash into concrete blocks then that is up to you. Personally I far prefer a vehicle which is lighter and can actually steer around obstacles and accidents!!

#13 BadbackCol

BadbackCol

CT Ninja

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:All Motor Sports, History of WW2, Caravans,Dogs and my Family's health and well-being.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

The diesel engine in the duster is from the Renault F series (F9Q – 1.9cc) (F4R – 1.5cc) These engines are proven and reliable, so much so, that Suzuki (mentioned above) fit the (F9Q) in the Vitara.

The chassis I think is from the Dacia Logan and not from the Clio III. The Sandero (super mini) I think again is based on the Clio chassis.

The B-segment B platform was jointly developed by Nissan and Renault.[2] As of 2010, the next generation of this platform has been renamed V platform.A version with stretched wheelbase, named B0 platform,[9] and developed for Dacia, is used for the following cars:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_B_platform

The Wind is a little two-seat convertible coupe with a chassis that derives from the old (Mk2) Clio platform, which also underpins the latest Twingo (and in part the Dacia Duster).
http://www.autocar.c...d-1.6-dynamique

Regards.
Col

#14 Gaz40

Gaz40

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Forgot to mention……

That the four wheel drive versions of the Dacia Duster have the Nissan running gear.

The list is correct, but the Sandero is a build on the original floor pan. The Dacia is an adaptation (over size) of the platform (Clio III) but taken direct from the Logan.

I personaly think that Dacia will do very well within the UK, but time will tell.

Edited by Gaz40, 10 January 2013 - 01:23 PM.

#15 gravon42

gravon42

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Interests:cars, caravans, DIY, cats
  • Towcar:Land Rover Freelander 2
  • Caravan:Elddis Crusader Hurricane

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

I bet that, originally , it was the old Citroen 2CV floor platform. They had a few spare so made
dusters of them! :D

#16 Gaz40

Gaz40

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

I bet that, originally , it was the old Citroen 2CV floor platform. They had a few spare so made
dusters of them! :D

Given the Cult status, reliability and longevity of the Citroen 2CV, that was in production for almost 40 years........

That's quite a compliment for the Dacia Duster :D :D

I'm off to make an omlette ;)

Before I go, have a look at this duster pulling a van out of the snow :ph34r:

G40

Edited by Gaz40, 10 January 2013 - 07:13 PM.

#17 Ollies mum

Ollies mum

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

What level of commission are you on then ??

#18 Gaz40

Gaz40

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

What level of commission are you on then ??

I'm just a sucker, that always falls for the underdog :D

Wish I was on their commission, they're getting there own Cult status across Europe. We're thinking about dropping the tourer and buying a Static Holiday Home and this is a good second car choice for carrying our Kayaks and gear down to it, especially when we would be on a tight budget. ;)

I bet your itching to have a go in the dirt with one though :blush: :lol:

Edited by Gaz40, 10 January 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#19 CommanderDave

CommanderDave

Elite Member

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,013 posts
  • Interests:Model Eng, Jetski, DIY, Caravan, Traction Engines

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

I remember from years ago the Dacia Duster and the Lada 4x4.

Lada Niva. 4x4
http://www.markkey.co.uk/meetniva.html

Dave

#20 henrypartridge

henrypartridge

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Pub CLs, walking my dog, real ale and CURRY
  • Caravan:Bailey Autograph 740 motorhome

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

As for all the bull about NCAP ratings, well if you want a car that is as heavy as hell and designed to crash into concrete blocks then that is up to you. Personally I far prefer a vehicle which is lighter and can actually steer around obstacles and accidents!!

Bull? I think that's a bit harsh. NCAP ratings are the best thing that has ever happened to car safety, informing the buying public which cars will protect them in an accident, and forcing car manufacturers to up their game and make safety a priority. It has NOTHING to do with weight and everything to do with how cars perform in a collision. You may be the best driver in the world, won't guarantee some drunk or whatever doesn't plough into you.

Biggest cost in running a new car is depreciation. I predict Dacias will depreciate like falling girders, making the true cost of ownership a lot more than it would appear to be.

Edited by henrypartridge, 11 January 2013 - 12:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users