#1 DTH

DTH

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning , Gardening , DIY , Walking, Computers

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

I am not sure if I am misunderstanding the terms of the Lunar warranty and would appreciate anyone's input .

In the 2012 and 2013 handbooks :-

On Page 2 of the service handbook it states that
“Remember your annual service is important to maintain the validity of your warranty and must be carried out by an NCC or Lunar approved Service Centre”

Then on Page 6 it states
“It is a requirement that the caravan is serviced in accordance with the schedules on the checklist.All such services are chargeable and must be carried out by an authorised Lunar dealer”

No mention this time of being able to use an NCC workshop.

I have written to Lunar Customer Services but just wondered what you good people thought or had experience of.

Regards Dave

#2 chinster1957

chinster1957

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning in the UK and abroad
    Football
    Photography
  • Towcar:Kia Sportage
  • Caravan:Lunar Chilgrove (Quasar 462)

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

I believe that all the major caravan suppliers have agreed that servicing can be done by NCC approved workshops. I was looking at Lunar's handbook the other day and some of it is badly in need of updating (eg they still show details of the old round Status aerial which hasn't been fitted for a few years now). Its worth checking with Lunar, though.

Edited by chinster1957, 19 October 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#3 henrypartridge

henrypartridge

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Pub CLs, walking my dog, real ale and CURRY
  • Caravan:Bailey Autograph 740 motorhome

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

Yes all the UK manafacturers have agreed NCC Approved Workshops are OK. Shame the likes of Adria won't play ball.

#4 Sara S

Sara S

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

Sorry to hijack your thread but I have a warranty question. Is the Lunar warranty transient? We had our Bailey pinched 3 weeks ago and after a trip to the NEC have decided to go with a Lunar. The only problem is the best deal available was with a dealer in Preston. We are happy to travel up to fetch the van but dont want to be dragging it up there for warranty work.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

#5 Guest_jks_*

Guest_jks_*

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

Sorry to hijack your thread but I have a warranty question. Is the Lunar warranty transient? We had our Bailey pinched 3 weeks ago and after a trip to the NEC have decided to go with a Lunar. The only problem is the best deal available was with a dealer in Preston. We are happy to travel up to fetch the van but dont want to be dragging it up there for warranty work.

It depends if your local dealer will do the work. They don't have to on a van they haven't sold. You could use a mobile service.
Your deal might be good but work out the costs of fetching and taking over a period. They don't always work out that good.

#6 madasmad

madasmad

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

I have had a bad experience with a Lunar dealer in Preston - pile um' high, sell them cheap with little thought to customer service after the sale. Of course other peoples experience may differ. Also we did not get the van when promised.

For me I now buy from my local dealer, who although, are a little more expensive upfront, threw in some goodies and any issues have been dealt with quickly and without fuss.

As they say "you pays your money and takes your choice!"

I hope you enjoy your new Lunar - we do!

#7 sandy

sandy

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Hi
I purchased a Lunar Solaris from the well known dealer in Preston, great deal, poor handover. I then used my local dealer and they were quite happy to carry out any warranty work if they carried out the service. The dealer was Ropers at Catterick and I would still use them as their service was excellent. Unfortunately I purchased my new Lunar from ther dealer just up the road, they should take a leaf out of Ropers book when it comes to customer service.
Sandy

#8 rolydog2001

rolydog2001

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

Looking at where you are located Bedfordshire then the answer is yes, we purchased our Quaser 546 from the cotswold edge lesuire vehicles, however Popes caravans in Biggleswade are happy to service it, and do the warrenty work that it needs without any issues from Popes or Lunar.

#9 vectra

vectra

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:11 PM

Bought my present caravan from a dealer in Preston. Pathetic handover and even poorer customer service. Never again.

Keep in mind that many Lunar dealers will not want to carry out warranty work on your 'van for the reason that they didn't sell it to you. This is partly because they receive a lower fee for warranty work than the original selling dealer does.

I've no doubt that this dealer has probably given you the best price however keep in mind the cost and inconvenience of dragging your caravan to Preston for warranty work. I'm looking to change and am prepared to add up to 1k to the cost to change in order to ensure that I use a more local dealer.

Edited by vectra, 19 October 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#10 Caravanmedicswindon

Caravanmedicswindon

AWS Mobile Service Engineer

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Please use this link, it confirms Lunar allowing an Approved Workshop to service their caravans to maintain the warranty...

http://www.approvedw...hops.co.uk/faq/

#11 DTH

DTH

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

Please use this link, it confirms Lunar allowing an Approved Workshop to service their caravans to maintain the warranty...

http://www.approvedw...hops.co.uk/faq/

Thanks for answering my original question, it is appreciated
Dave

#12 Surf01

Surf01

Five Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

Strange that our dealer, Chichester Caravans in Bromsgrove, who have several branches across the country and who are very competent are not listed?

#13 vectra

vectra

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Strange that our dealer, Chichester Caravans in Bromsgrove, who have several branches across the country and who are very competent are not listed?

Hi.
Have used Chichester Caravans and found them to be a breath of fresh air even though they did refuse to carry out warranty work on my Lunar (purchased elsewhere). Talking to the guys there I cam to appreciate as to why this was so. Certainly would buy from them.

#14 rolydog2001

rolydog2001

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

I've no doubt that this dealer has probably given you the best price however keep in mind the cost and inconvenience of dragging your caravan to Preston for warranty work. I'm looking to change and am prepared to add up to £1k to the cost to change in order to ensure that I use a more local dealer

True, but in my case (and often happens) this dealer was no longer a Lunar dealer at the end of that year. So all you would have done is lost £1000 and still be in the same boat! No dealer is EVER going to tell you there changing dealerships if it risks a sale.

Chris

#15 vectra

vectra

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

True, but in my case (and often happens) this dealer was no longer a Lunar dealer at the end of that year. So all you would have done is lost 1000 and still be in the same boat! No dealer is EVER going to tell you there changing dealerships if it risks a sale.

Chris

True and a poor outcome for you yet in terms of risk assessment it's probably more likely that a tree might fall on your caravan!

Edited by vectra, 21 October 2012 - 10:57 PM.

#16 carefree

carefree

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Walking
    Gym
    Good food
    Good beer
    Trying to keep fit

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

We bought our 2012 Lunar Deta TI from Pleasuretime Caravans in Wakefield even though we live in North Wales it was nearly 3k cheaper than local dealers bit of a no brainer really!
Enjoy your Lunar!

#17 treebs

treebs

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

Dave 1952 - From personal experience - Lunar will accept Approved Workshop Servicing to validate warranty. We bought a Lunar 3 years ago from a main dealer but after a year fell out with them. Had the van serviced 2 years on the trot by mobile Approved Workshop - on the 2nd one he found 30% damp. I approached the original dealer, (who had now got their act together), they processed the matter with Lunar and NO HASSLE job done within 5 or 6 weeks. As long as you can produce reports and receipts etc there shouldnt be a problem

#18 DTH

DTH

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for that Treebs, I am still waiting to hear back from Lunar but from the posts on here it looks
positive on being able to use an NCC approved workshop of my choice.

The reason that I started to question Lunars standing with this is that I use a very good NCC approved mobile fitter
but ,since my OP, he has informed me that he has sold his business, so that has really negated my question, as best option now will be to have the service done at my dealers.

Dave

#19 Surf01

Surf01

Five Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

We bought our 2012 Lunar Deta TI from Pleasuretime Caravans in Wakefield even though we live in North Wales it was nearly 3k cheaper than local dealers bit of a no brainer really!
Enjoy your Lunar!

Good deal provided you have no warranty issues.

#20 Reads

Reads

Five Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

If a company is not listed on the approved workshop website its because they are not a member of the scheme. There are quite a few dealers who either dont bother joining or dont meet the criteria required to join. There is no requirement for a dealer to join the scheme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users