• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bux

Bux

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, quizzes, dog walking, tv, discussions.... do I sound interesting??

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:22 PM

Am looking for a 5/6 berth caravan. Not one with double dinette. One with dinette at front and bunks running lengthways to allow for 4 children.

I need to keep weight down to max 1300kg. I know of the Avondale Dart, Bailey Ranger, Lunar Zenith, Avondale Ibiza.

Any more suggestions?

Would prefer second hand about 3/4 years old.

Cheers

Bux xx

#2 JonathanM

JonathanM

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location:North of Watford, south of Berwick, west of the Pennines

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:46 PM

Am looking for a 5/6 berth caravan. Not one with double dinette. One with dinette at front and bunks running lengthways to allow for 4 children.

I need to keep weight down to max 1300kg. I know of the Avondale Dart, Bailey Ranger, Lunar Zenith, Avondale Ibiza.

Any more suggestions?

Would prefer second hand about 3/4 years old.

Cheers

Bux xx

View Post

i guessing you mean the layout of the ranger 550/6 as seen on the Bailey website ? front dinette, small side dinnette, and rear bunks?

#3 Bux

Bux

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, quizzes, dog walking, tv, discussions.... do I sound interesting??

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:21 AM

Not really because the bunks run widthways. I am thinking more of a double bed at front and two sets of bunks running lengthways. Only one I know at the moment is the Avondale Ibiza.

#4 Spyder

Spyder

Ron

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:43 AM

Have you had a look at the Adria Altea 542UK.

Adria Catalogue

It has 5 berths with fixed bunks running lengthways and weighs in at 1300kg (MTPLM).

#5 JonathanM

JonathanM

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location:North of Watford, south of Berwick, west of the Pennines

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:43 PM

Not really because the bunks run widthways.  I am thinking more of a double bed at front and two sets of bunks running lengthways. Only one I know at the moment is the Avondale Ibiza.

View Post

So you want 2 sets of bumks running lengthways either side of the van? In that case there isn't a van in the Ranger series that has that feature.

#6 Spyder

Spyder

Ron

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:43 AM

Have you had a look at the Adria Altea 542UK.

Adria Catalogue

It has 5 berths with fixed bunks running lengthways and weighs in at 1300kg (MTPLM).

View Post

Sorry Bux, mis-read your requirements, Adria have nothing that fit's the bill!

In fact, thinking about it, I've never come across a van with two sets of fixed bunks!

#7 Bux

Bux

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

Thank you for your replies. Still can only find the Avondale Ibiza. Problem is the vans are a bit old now.

Never mind :)

Bux xx

#8 bofus

bofus

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:30 PM

Have a look at the Bailey Discovery 400, if you order new, you can get a 4th rear bed over the usual rear single. This would give you 4 beds as 2 lengthways bunks and a front dinette double. We have one as a 5 berth and for the money it can't be beaten.
Gav

#9 NEEDY

NEEDY

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

BUX.......you have a pm to read from me

cheers

Tony

#10 olderbutnotwiser

olderbutnotwiser

Work Sucks!!!

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:Caravans
    Real Ale
    Rugby
    Music

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:43 PM

Can I ask why you specifically want the bunks running lengthways?

There are plenty of 6 berths with bunks across the end and at the side with the dinette at the front making up to a double....would this not be suitable?

The Adria 532UK comes to mind for me although it is 1400kg MTPLM...we seriously considered one of these ourselves but went for a 4 berth in the end.

Incidently, our last caravan (A Trophy) was exactly the layout you're describing, but it was 17 years old and had a bit of damp at the front when we sold it last summer Only 1200kg too!!!

#11 Bux

Bux

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:28 PM

It is for a friend of mine. They have 1 older child and 2 very small ones. The twin bunks means you can have an ounce of privacy.

More to the point, they cannot tow anything heavier than 1250kg max. I already have a 6 berth fixed bunks at back and side dinette.

Cheers guys

Bux xx

#12 NEEDY

NEEDY

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:54 PM

Right here goes......

We were also looking for a van with fitted bunk beds as we have 2 young kids

About 2 years ago we looked at an Avondale rialto 640/6 and fell in love with it.......Fixed bunk beds on the side, end bathroom and side seating area. Ideal for the family (so we thought at the time)

In January last year (2005) we looked at the new Ace jubilee Equerry 6 berth (fitted bunks) and loved it......it was the same layout as the rialto that we wanted and at a cheaper price.......so we bought it

We were both over the moon with it when we picked it up in March 2005 (It was what we always wanted)

And?

It was the worst mistake of our life........after spending 3 months with the van we hated it.......it was horrible..........we had a large end bathroom that was only used a few times a day and fitted bunks that were only used at night. (Both bathroom and bunks were a waste of space) The 4 of us spent all the time down the one end of the van (the front end)

So in August we part-exchanged it for Elddis Sirocco (2005) with side bathroom and living area at front and back. The front end has a TV for me and the wife and the rear end has also a TV for the kids (there end) and at night we all have a sleeping bag to sleep in…nice and easy

So when the family is in the van it’s not just the front half that is in use (like the ace with fitted bunks) me and the wife watch what we want and the kids play at there end.

I know that it is down to the individual

The point in this post is that I don’t want anybody to make the same mistake as we did as we lost a lot of money exchanging vans.But we are very happy now

I hope that this post makes sense LOL

Cheers

Tony

#13 Bux

Bux

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:33 AM

Cheers Tony,

You make some very valid points. I have always been of the opinion I would rather have more 'living' space and a smaller bathroom as, like you say, it is only used once/twice a day. Also I tend to visit full amenity sites.

How on earth do you have two tvs on at the same time? We go out in the evening and tell the kids bedtime. They have their lights on and play/read. No tv for them!

We bought a 556/6 caravan and love it to bits, but when the kids are older we would swap it, maybe for a fixed bed Lexon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users