• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#1 imjin83

imjin83

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:38 pm

Put my Orion in for its first annual service today to Perthshire Caravans (bought new from Dyce Caravans in August 2011).
Was informed that the caravan has developed quite a serious leak. Water appears to be entering through the top rail on the door side of the van, and subsequently settling between the side panels. This has resulted in the fablon separating from the wood within the upper lockers.
Mechanic advised that this is the fourth Orion to have developed this leak. The van will now have to return the dealer in Dyce, and Perthshire Caravans are advising that this will be a return to factory job.

Was wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue, and how did you get it resolved.

Will be contacting Bailey in the next few days to discuss this issue with them

#2 whatever

whatever

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:38 pm

Mine passed the damp test at it's first service recently. Been in some heavy rain recently and certainly no signs of water ingress.

#3 Tandem Man

Tandem Man

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts
  • Towcar:Passat Alltrack 177PS DSG
  • Caravan:Unicorn 3 Cadiz

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:42 pm

Our 440/4 goes in for its first service in three weeks,hope all is OK.

Certainly no signs of water or damp anywhere,keeping fingers crossed.

Ian

#4 imjin83

imjin83

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:49 pm

Thanks so far for replies. We noticed that the fablon was separating from wood panels on door side - this is the obvious indication that something is wrong.
We had noted this as some warranty work to be carried out during service. Will update on what happens once it goes back to dealer.

#5 sureflow

sureflow

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Family. Dog. Caravaning. Trail Walking.
  • Towcar:Honda CRV SE manual 2012
  • Caravan:Unicorn Cadiz Mk 3

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:51 pm

I wonder did you have any indication of this leak.It sounds like not enough sealant was used before they torqued the joint.

#6 imjin83

imjin83

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:36 pm

Hi sureflow, only indication that there might be something amiss was the fablon covering on the wood panels on the door/awning rail side was peeling away.
My concern now is how much damage has been caused between the panels; might even require the whole side being replaced.

#7 sureflow

sureflow

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:01 am

Thanks.On a positive note;you are at least covered by their 10 year warranty.And it shows why servicing needs to be carried-out by Bailey agents.Keep us posted on the outcome.

#8 xtrailman

xtrailman

Prestige member with over 10000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,793 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!
  • Towcar:Mazda
  • Caravan:Swift

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:06 am

Isn't the side panel bonded together?

So how is water getting into it?

I'm starting to think this alutech construction isn't the future, but the end, perhaps for the Bailey company.

It appears every model they make now comes with some that leak.

The QC must be none existent.

Edited by xtrailman, 15 August 2012 - 07:10 am.

#9 murraymint

murraymint

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Caravan:Bailey

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:34 am

Isn't the side panel bonded together?

So how is water getting into it?

I'm starting to think this alutech construction isn't the future, but the end, perhaps for the Bailey company.

It appears every model they make now comes with some that leak.

The QC must be none existent.

Every caravan manufacturer, home & abroad, make some caravans that leak!!!!!!

Hope the OP gets the problem resolved soon.

What is interesting is the difference between a traditional build caravan & an Alu-Tech when there is a leak. Instead of the build up of damp a in wallboard & insulation that results in whole sections of the caravan rotting (speaking from experience here - like many I've had enough of leaking rotting caravans) - in Alu-Tech caravans the leak can be harder to spot or the water just runs down into light fittings & the floor.

You pays your money & makes your choice - but I would still never put my money down on a traditional caravan now there's a choice out there.

#10 sureflow

sureflow

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:07 pm

The only way I believe water can ingress the side panel is where the roof and side meet,they are connected using their unique locking system.The panels are compressed foam,with protective inner/outer shells.However if water accesses via the above way;it will slowly soak into the foam.I think either insufficient sealant was used in the process OR the bolts that are used to draw both panels together were incorrectly torqued down.Any of the panels can be removed by undoing the locking bolts along the joint; however this is a factory job I imagine.All caravans have joints and are prone to potential leakage.Alu-tec has 70% lesss of these according to their sales info.Hopefully its a one-off.

#11 whatever

whatever

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:04 pm

. ... ... ... ... ... it shows why servicing needs to be carried-out by Bailey agents . ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Why?

#12 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,793 posts
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:20 pm

Why?

To maintain the warranty.

#13 frano

frano

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:caravans

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:26 pm

My Orion 430 is just back from first service and nothing to report, I agree with the above comment Alu-Tech has got to be better if you did have a leak.
My brother has just brought a £18000, swift sport with sun roof etc, its 2 months old and its got damp from outside in the bathroom, so its not just Bailey.
The Orion is the most Van I can tow with my ford focus weight wise, 2 years ago I never thought I would have a End Bathroom & fixed bed.
All makes have problems you just have to remember its a small %

#14 wish

wish

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:music, reading, caravanning

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:32 pm

Hi .Got the 2 berth Orion.It has been in once because the fridge hadn't been connected to the mains,the connector is behind the fridge apparently.It has now been in 3 weeks at two dealers to rectify a leak above the door.Luckily I spotted it while we were away.

#15 whatever

whatever

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:50 pm

To maintain the warranty.

The 'van doesn't have to be serviced by a Bailey dealer to preserve the warranty, it just has to be serviced.

#16 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,793 posts
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:57 am

It cant be serviced by just any service centre.

"1. During the term of the Warranty Cover, subject to these terms and conditions, Bailey will, through an Authorised Service Centre, at its option repair or replace all parts and components of the caravan that are included in the Warranty Cover and which suffer a defect in manufacture or workmanship. An Authorised Service Centre means either Bailey itself, a Bailey Approved Retailer or a Bailey Approved Service Centre. Any part which is replaced becomes the property of Bailey. Any replacement parts are covered for the unexpired term of the Warranty Cover."

Edited by xtrailman, 16 August 2012 - 06:59 am.

#17 whatever

whatever

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:38 am

It cant be serviced by just any service centre.

"1. During the term of the Warranty Cover, subject to these terms and conditions, Bailey will, through an Authorised Service Centre, at its option repair or replace all parts and components of the caravan that are included in the Warranty Cover and which suffer a defect in manufacture or workmanship. An Authorised Service Centre means either Bailey itself, a Bailey Approved Retailer or a Bailey Approved Service Centre. Any part which is replaced becomes the property of Bailey. Any replacement parts are covered for the unexpired term of the Warranty Cover."

Agreed, the mobile guy I use is authorised to service Bailey vans.

I misread the original post which states 'agents', I read this as 'dealers'.

#18 Beebs

Beebs

Over 100 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Towcar:2017 Kuga AWD 180
  • Caravan:GT65 Verona

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:32 pm

Hi All

Spotted the leak on our 440/4 yesterday, left hand side, mould appearing on the triple highline locker down section end panel. just at the point where the roof section joins the rear section. aft of the side window

Had its 1st Service in May 2012 so thought Bailey dealers would have a EWR (Early Warning Report) issued if the problem has occured else where???

we have got campsites booked and paid for until Mid September, so booked in for the last week of Sept.

Quite worried where the water has been going? eg between the alu-tech panels and what effect that could have?

as for the locker the end panel will need changing as a minimum!!!!!!!!!!!!

will keep you posted

Edited by Beebs, 21 August 2012 - 09:44 pm.

#19 sureflow

sureflow

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:26 am

This is the second.I wonder how many more?
Hope you get it sorted easily; but its such a pain.Keep us all up-to-date with your outcome.

#20 Beebs

Beebs

Over 100 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Towcar:2017 Kuga AWD 180
  • Caravan:GT65 Verona

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:32 pm

Dropped the Van off on Friday, the dealer has been very helpful and over sealed the area so we can continue to use the van through September.

the service manager stated that it will have to be returned to Bailey to complete the warranty repair.

will keep the thread posted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users