• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Footy, driving, camping, caravning. Walking.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

Hello, again!! I've posted about towing before but I want to make sure. I have a ford mondeo 1.8 tdci 6mt.115hp. Gross train weight 3755 kg. I have a elddis crown soverign. Maw is 1200kg cap is 271kg.
Which gives a miro of 929kg. As far as I can work out I have a max towing weight of 1400 kg so I am well within towing capability for the car obviously watching the nose weight as well. Anyone think differently please quote. Thanks for any replies in advance. Off to sunny lakes tommorow.

#2 R0G

R0G

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Interests:ADVANCED DRIVING (IAM observer)

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

The weights needed are ...

Vehicle
Kerbweight
GVW (MAM)
Towing capacity

Caravan
MPTLM (MAM)

With those weights others can give you advice

#3 Rodders53

Rodders53

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

http://www.cuddles.a...rd.htm#mondeo00 woul suggest your Kerbweight is only 1375kg which is OK with MTPLM of the caravan at 1200kg

Off to sunny lakes tommorow

You've left it a bit late to ask this question.

Edited by Firestar, 28 July 2012 - 02:33 PM.

#4 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Towcar:Mondeo mk4 Titanium 140
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 470

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

http://www.cuddles.a...rd.htm#mondeo00 woul suggest your Kerbweight is only 1375kg which is OK with MTPLM of the caravan at 1200kg

You've left it a bit late to ask this question.[/font][/color]

That is the petrol version, the 1.8 TDCi according to my for brochure has a kerbweight just over 1505kg and a Max gross weight of 2150kg plus a max train weight of 3755kg gives it plenty of room to tow any van right uip to its kerbweight. Ford give a towing capacity of 1600kg in the handbook but this is only an advisary, but whatever Swamp Donkey will have no weight problems with his outfit.

#5 Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Footy, driving, camping, caravning. Walking.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Thanks. Bill.

#6 R0G

R0G

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

..... 1.8 TDCi according to my for brochure has a kerbweight just over 1505kg and a Max gross weight of 2150kg plus a max train weight of 3755kg gives it plenty of room to tow any van right uip to its kerbweight.

If the MPTLM (MAM) of the caravan is 1350 or less then that would also be legal for B (no B+E) licence towing

#7 Artleknock

Artleknock

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

If the MPTLM (MAM) of the caravan is 1350 or less then that would also be legal for B (no B+E) licence towing

You sure about that? I have been reading on other threads that the MTPLM is an advisory weight limit from the manufacturers and has no standing in law. The legal weights being the axle plate or the tyre loading limit.

#8 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

You sure about that? I have been reading on other threads that the MTPLM is an advisory weight limit from the manufacturers and has no standing in law. The legal weights being the axle plate or the tyre loading limit.

If a plate is fitted then it defines the MAM of the vehicle, if no plate is fitted ( not compulsory on trailers weighing less than 3500kg ) then it is the load rating of the tyres that defines the MAM

#9 R0G

R0G

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

As Bill says - a MANUFACTURERS plate does have weight in law - the others saying different are not correct

If the manufacturers plate did not have any legal weight then what would be the point of all the manufacturers fitting them!!

#10 Champ

Champ

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Towcar:Land Cruiser
  • Caravan:Lunar Delta

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:10 AM

Your diesel Mondeo will be fine.
They are generally a good tow car, when not subjected to overly heavy caravans, which yours is most definatly not.

Happy holidays.

Gra.

#11 Artleknock

Artleknock

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

It's not a plate, just a bit of sticky paper.
Nothing concrete about the weight either, when my van arrived the 'plate' said MTPLM 1430kg, I emailed Bailey and asked why mine was different to all others, they sent a new sticky with 1450Kg on it, and I suppose if I bung them a few quid they will send another with a higher figure on it. All with no mods to the Caravan at all, hardly a definitive figure, is it?

An MTPLM is more of a manufacturers marketing tool.

#12 DeadMeatUK

DeadMeatUK

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Interests:Master of the mechanical stuff

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Nothing concrete about the weight either, when my van arrived the 'plate' said MTPLM 1430kg, I emailed Bailey and asked why mine was different to all others, they sent a new sticky with 1450Kg on it, and I suppose if I bung them a few quid they will send another with a higher figure on it. All with no mods to the Caravan at all, hardly a definitive figure, is it?

:goodpost:

The only use for the MTPLM is when towing with a B licence

#13 R0G

R0G

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

there will become a point where the design cannot be more than a certain weight because it will break or become very unsafe !!

Car designers place max weights for axles and those axle weights always add up to more than the GVW to make certain that the actual vehicle when fully loaded does not get too close to its maximum weight

The same goes for VOSA weights on LGVs - they are always lower than the design weights

:goodpost:

The only use for the MTPLM is when towing with a B licence

Really !!
So how heavy can it safely be ?

#14 DeadMeatUK

DeadMeatUK

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Interests:Master of the mechanical stuff

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

there will become a point where the design cannot be more than a certain weight because it will break or become very unsafe !!

Car designers place max weights for axles and those axle weights always add up to more than the GVW to make certain that the actual vehicle when fully loaded does not get too close to its maximum weight

The same goes for VOSA weights on LGVs - they are always lower than the design weights

Really !!

The manufacture of the chassis states the maximum (safe) weight. with a B+E you can tow up to that amount with a suitable tow vehicle.

With a B licence the tow vehicle must weigh more than the plated (stickered!) MTPLM of the caravan, and the plated GVW+MTPLM can not add up to more than the tow vehicles GTW

#15 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

The manufacture of the chassis states the maximum (safe) weight. with a B+E you can tow up to that amount with a suitable tow vehicle.

With a B licence the tow vehicle must weigh more than the plated (stickered!) MTPLM of the caravan, and the plated GVW+MTPLM can not add up to more than the tow vehicles GTW

Nearly there. A trailer of less than 3500kg is not required to display a weights plate but if one is present than that defines the weights that are allowed. In the abscence of a weight plate then the max allowable mass of the trailer is defined by the max load rating on the tyres. As you say at the moment the tow vehicle must have an unladen mass that is greater than the MAM of the trailer, but this is not uniform across Europe so there are new regul;ations coming into force in January next and they exclude this condition.

#16 Artleknock

Artleknock

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Really !!

The axle plate or tyre limits.

#17 R0G

R0G

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Could be the axle or any other component which relates to the weight stress being out on it being the defining limit

#18 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

Not if there is a plate on the trailer. A trailer under 3500 kg is not required to have a plate, but if such a plate is present then that defines the maximum allowable mass of the trailer. In the absence of a plate then the tyre load rating defines the Max weight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users