Large Caravans

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_iank_*

Guest_iank_*

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:58 PM

What are the largest caravans permissible on roads in the EU and what make are they? Is the EU law specific about the vehicle you can tow it with? If you bought one of these mammoths and brought it over hre towed by a foreign registered vehicle, would it be allowed?
This is for interest and nothing more. Someone posted a picture of a huge caravan here awhile back but I cannot find it again.

#2 Road Runner

Road Runner

RV section

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • Interests:Bruno, my RV, Car & Caravan, plus my Motorcycle

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:02 PM

What like this Hobby?

Posted Image

#3 Paul_B

Paul_B

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,448 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Keeping Traditional Poultry
    Swilling Grilling & Chilling

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:17 PM

If you'd class them as a caravan?
Those fifth wheelers must take some beating, with the pop out sides, but you would have to have a decent four wheel drive, L200 perhaps :( or biger

ok sad face because I'm drooling,
fifth wheelers are big & brilliant & what a combination that would be with the L200 :)

#4 justlizz

justlizz

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:44 PM

I have a Ford Ranger and tow a 24ft 5th wheel with a slide with no trouble and we get 22-28 miles to the gallon
lizz

#5 Paul_B

Paul_B

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,448 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Keeping Traditional Poultry
    Swilling Grilling & Chilling

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:34 PM

I have a Ford Ranger and tow a 24ft 5th wheel with a slide with no trouble and we get 22-28 miles to the gallon
lizz

View Post

Well impressed :) ,
We've looked at them at Warners York show and the Lincoln show,
a real home from home ...........and what a bed! :rolleyes:

#6 Gordon

Gordon

Gordon.

• CT Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:48 PM

Our present outfit is 12.77 metres (41ft 6ins) overall length by 2.28 metres (7ft 6ins) width plus the mirrors. The caravan is just under the legal max dimensions that can be towed behind a PLG vehicle. It could legally be 20mm wider and 450mm longer (max length = 7 metres + the draw bar). Our previous outfit was 13.62 metres long, just 35mm inside the legal max length, but that did have a 3 cycle rack on the rear caravan wall.

I know this sounds large, but it looks pretty insignificant compared with some outfits I've parked next to in the French Autoroute services. I recall an Adria (Habitation?) some years ago that was a good 3 metres longer with its towcar, than our outfit.

I don't believe that caravans larger than 7 metres body length and 2.3 metres body width are permitted on UK roads, whatever their country of origin, when towed behind a "normal" towcar. That said I have witnessed some huge outfits towed here, and we've all seen the large Tabbert or Hobby being towed by a Transit pickup!

Gordon.

#7 Guest_Hobbybod_*

Guest_Hobbybod_*

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:04 PM

Gordon's limits (7.00m 'van length and 2.3m width) for towing with a tow vehicle of GVW under 3500kg are correct.

Here's a BIG caravan Posted Image I think the biggest you can buy off-the-shelf!

There is NO ordinary tow car (PLG) of GVW in excess of 3500kg. That includes ALL 4x4's including the OverFinch RR.
Certain American double cab pickups do have GVW's in excess of 3500kg.

Certain Transits, Iveco's and Sprinters etc also have GVW in excess of 3500kg and so can legally tow a 'van up to 2.55m wide in the UK.

Such limitations on width do not apply in other European countries (Switzerland??) and so wide Hobbys, Tabberts, Fendts etc. can be legally towed there, by 'normal' towcars, provided weight limitations are not exceeded.

#8 justlizz

justlizz

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:09 PM

I want one (when I win the lottery) http://www.andersonmobileestates.com
lizz

#9 Gordon

Gordon

Gordon.

• CT Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:12 AM

Here's a BIG caravan Posted Image

View Post

Is that the Royal Hacienda 1000 from Kabe? If so, it's around 36feet in length and certainly well over the UK limit - but I want one! Pleeeeese :rolleyes:

I want one (when I win the lottery) http://www.andersonmobileestates.com
lizz

View Post

Now that's what I call a 5th wheeler!!! I could be pursuaded to settle for one of these instead of the one above.

#10 justlizz

justlizz

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:03 AM

Gordon if you have 2.2million dollars its yours
lizz

#11 Gordon

Gordon

Gordon.

• CT Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:27 AM

lizz

View Post

So that will be one each then?Posted Image

#12 terrano47

terrano47

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:56 AM

lizz

View Post

What a great vehicle i want one too and so cheap :D

#13 Guest_iank_*

Guest_iank_*

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:34 PM

Is that the Royal Hacienda 1000 from Kabe? If so, it's around 36feet in length and certainly well over the UK limit - but I want one! Pleeeeese :rolleyes:

Now that's what I call a 5th wheeler!!! I could be pursuaded to settle for one of these instead of the one above.

View Post

I wonder if you could tow the Royal Hacienda 1000 in the UK if you were a visitor from the EU, i.e. Swedish, German etc and were towing with a foreign car. Also wonder if there aer many caravan parks that can accommodate that size of caravan. :D
As it weighs in at about 2650 kg are there any 4x4s that could tow it around the EU? I would hate to tow it through some of our villages with cars double parked.

#14 Guest_Hobbybod_*

Guest_Hobbybod_*

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:25 PM

I wonder if you could tow the Royal Hacienda 1000 in the UK if you were a visitor from t  he EU, i.e. Swedish, German etc and were towing with a foreign car.  Also wonder if there aer many caravan parks that can accommodate that size of caravan. :D
As it weighs in at about 2650 kg there are amny 4 x 4s that could tow it around the EU.  I would hate to tow it through some of our villages with cars double parked.

View Post

Towing outside the UK towing limits, in the UK with a foreign registered outfit, is a 'grey' area.

There is supposed to be a 'gentleman's agreement' whereby if it's legal and insured in the country of registration, then an outfit can be used in another country, like the UK. However there could be exceptions, e.g. Switzerland and what happens if the policeman isn't a 'gentleman' . . . . . . . ?

#15 TedNewman

TedNewman

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:04 PM

Towing outside the UK towing limits, in the UK with a foreign registered outfit, is a 'grey' area.

However there could be exceptions, e.g. Switzerland and what happens if the policeman isn't a 'gentleman'  . . . . . . . ?

View Post

And believe me the Swiss Police do not know the meaning of the word Gentleman! And here I am talking of personal experience of more than 40 years of travelling in and through the country as well as having relatives living there :P

#16 Guest_del_*

Guest_del_*

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:04 PM

Does anyone have some web sites for 5th wheeler caravans (UK legal) we are thinking of changing our tow car shortly and it might be worth investing in an L200 or Nissan Outlaw for possible future vans.

#17 TedNewman

TedNewman

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:22 PM

Does anyone have some web sites for 5th wheeler caravans (UK legal) we are thinking of changing our tow car shortly and it might be worth investing in an L200 or Nissan Outlaw for possible future vans.

View Post

Have a look at http://www.fifthwhee...om/concept.html these people were at the Excel show in London - we were very impressed! :rolleyes:

#18 Guest_Rallier_*

Guest_Rallier_*

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:02 PM

I would hate to tow it through some of our villages with cars double parked.

View Post

No. Its always easier to tow with a car thats moving, I find.
LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users