Caravanery

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:caravans

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

Hi

I'd like to know what caravan users and Bailey users in particular think about this caravan. We are a young family, three kids of 7, 3 and 2 years old and this van is ideal to us for a number of reason. We are very new to caravans and this would be our very first caravan. I have towed a caravan before and have no problems manoeuvring.

The Bailey Orion 450-5 meets our requirements for a number of reasons:

- 3 bunk beds and sofa are with foldable table in the bunks are, ideal for kids breakfasts.
- Finance availability so we can afford it to buy it brand new
- Can be towed with our Zafira 2.2 auto petrol.
- it's entry level and it's affordable

I would be interested to hear from you and let me know if I am missing something as I am in love with this caravan and as I am new I don't want to make a big mistake in my decision.

Thank you

#2 Tandem Man

Tandem Man

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Towcar:Passat Alltrack 177PS DSG
  • Caravan:Bailey Orion 440/4

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

Can't help you with the specific model,someone will be along to help you with that I am sure,as we have a 440/4,but as for the Orion in general then I would say go for it as it is an excellent van for the money.

A few general pointers:

1.The outside locker door is a PITA as it it is very narrow so loading stuff is difficult.

2.Check the floor to ceiling "wood" end strips are the right length as some are cut up to 1cm short.

3.Check the sealant in the shower is all satisfactory as it is not a sealed shower ( wallboard ) and the sealant application sometimes leaves a little to be desired.

4.Check under shelves,behind the front curtains at the sidesand in the wardrobe as the larger screw coverings are usually missing.

5.Perhaps think about replacing the jockey wheel with a pneumatic one as the original tends to strip its tread rather quickly.

6.Think about replacing the battery clamps with quick release ones especially if you have a mover as the supplied clamps are rather small for two cables.

7.Check all the window blinds retract properly and rapidly.

8.Where the 13-pin cable exits the fairing on the A-frame protect it with a bit of of old hosepipe as the frame tends to rub the cable.

All minor stuff but worth thinking about.

Hope you enjoy it.

Ian

#3 Caravanery

Caravanery

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

Your response deserves a print!!! Exactly the kind of tips I was after really. Thanks Ian.

Coincidentally I was reading your blog a minute ago. I love the awning on your front page. What brand is it?

Edited by Caravanery, 23 July 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#4 Robbos

Robbos

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

We bought our first caravan in May this year - an Orion 450-5. Have stayed away in it for 6 nights so far with another two weeks coming up. We have 2 boys, 4 and 5 years old and they love the bunk beds. We use the 3rd bunk for storage, but there is still unused space under the rear seating.

I think you get what you pay for - it's a nice family van, but some of the finishing isn't great. We have some scree caps missing and a vertical trim is indeed 1cm short - however after a couple of nights in the van we were having so much fun we forgot all about them - and I haven't bothered mentioning them to the dealer.

We have had one problem - the kitchen window sprung a leak. However the dealer was great, got us booked in to have it fixed within 2 days - and the next day after that it was all fixed and hasn't leaked since.

We can't wait until our next adventure in the van! :-)

#5 proterra

proterra

proterra

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

Not knowing your exact model of car it matches up Ok on CC car match as long as you watch the nose weight.

Match report

The Club advises that a Vauxhall Zafira Club 2.2i 16v Direct auto (2009) is o.k. to tow a Bailey Orion 450/5 (2012)
  • Posted Image1 Kerbweight ratio: 84%
  • The caravan's laden weight is within 85% of the car's kerb weight, and therefore meets Club guidelines.
  • Posted Image1 Towing limit ratio: 86%
  • The caravan's laden weight is within the car's stated towing limit, and therefore meets legal limitations.
  • Posted Image1 Gross train weight ratio: 96%
  • We do not have a gross train weight figure for this car. There is a small risk of the car’s GTW being exceeded if both car and caravan are heavily laden, as some car makers define GTW as less than the sum of the car and the caravan’s fully laden weights. However, we judge this outfit unlikely to suffer this problem. To be absolutely sure of not exceeding this legal limit, though, check the car’s GTW suitability by referring to the retailer or maker (or the weight plate on the car, if available).
  • Posted Image1 Nose weight ratio: 120%
  • The car's nose weight should be fine to safely tow this caravan. If this figure is high, however, (typically over 100%) care will be needed to load the caravan so that the car’s nose weight limit is not exceeded, but this should be practically achievable. Aim for 5-7% of the caravan’s actual laden weight without overloading the car.
  • Posted Image1 BHP per ton : 49
  • The car’s engine power should be fine to safely tow this caravan.

#6 Hopes Dad

Hopes Dad

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Moutain Biking & motorbikes

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

We Had our hearts set on an orion 440 4, we had looked at a few orions & felt that this was the best layout for us. When we went to have a really good look at the dealers & talk seriously about buying, the dealer suggested to look at a few other models first, so we looked at a few 2nd hand peggys & all the new Oly's.

When you compare the two vans we felt that for a little more money, & I mean just a little more, the finish & spec on the oly & that little extra room, was worth it. Also, we had gone in looking at fixed beds first, which we thought were the best option for us, but again when we looked we decided that a different layout was better too.

My advice would be to look at a few other models, if you can find a dealer with a good range its better, otherwise the driving between dealers makes you forget small details.

But have a good look & don't forget to drive a good deal, we ended up with aS1 Oly for similar money to an orion, as the dealer was clearing space for s2. So if you aren't particularly fashion concious, you could pick up a good deal.

Good luck & I'm sure you will be happy with your choice

#7 Caravanery

Caravanery

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

Thank you all for the good info and sharing your thoughts. Very much appreciated.

Proterra, our Vauxhall Zafira is a 55reg, 2.2 petrol, Auto.

#8 Caravanery

Caravanery

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Went for a second view to my local dealer to see the Orion 450-5. After having spent a good 30 minutes inside the caravan I must say I was a bit dissapointed with the inside in terms of robust and strong ness of materials. Anything I touch can be very easily broken by kids. A simple wrong manuever by any of my kids and could easily break something.

My children are well educated but they are still children (7,3,2) and can break things around them by accident. Now, this caravan costs 14 grand and at this dissapointing moment I am really worried that the 14k worth of caravan will disintegrate rapidly.

I know this is a very negative way of thinking and that this model is design specifically light weight to be towed by small cars but the inside seems to be made of cardboard.

Has anyone of you had this feeling? I still love this caravan and I am exaggerating my feelings to see if anyone think the same way. I'd be very interested to hear from families with children who have bought this caravan to tell me about their experience.

Thank you.

#9 Rita

Rita

Bright Spark

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,919 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

If in doubt Walk Away

Its a lot of money if you are going to be worried about the damage the children will do

Caravans are for relaxing and enjoying holidays

#10 Robbos

Robbos

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

Firstly I would say shop around - we bought our 450-5 for 12,800 and looking this morning on the internet they are being sold from 12,500 upwards, so don't pay 14 grand for it.

We were worried about the kids breaking things two boys 5 and 4 who fight a lot!

In the 7 nights we have stayed in it they did not break anything. They did crash a bike into the side of the caravan however - and the GRP sides are tough and no damage.

Will be going away for 10 nights this week so will update you if the boys break anything! :-(

#11 Bailey Stu

Bailey Stu

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning!

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Hi,

We have a 450-5, and have two children, 11 and 8. We haven't broken anything yet!

For the money (we paid around £12,800 for ours 16 months ago) we think it's a fantastic 'van. I managed to get a new Pyramid awning thrown in to the deal too.

For sure, you'll find better vans on the market, but there are many plus points for us. Here's a few,

1. Alutec construction, so hopefully we wont be visited by the dreaded damp monster as we were in our previous van.
2. 6 year warranty should anything go wrong. Bailey have been great sorting a problem we had with the oven, which is now fine.
3. I regularly whack the side with an awning pole on and it doesn't dent or mark!
4. The van is so light that I can push and site it with my wife, sometimes on my own if it's flat, so no need for the added cost of a motor mover.
5. A microwave is an added bonus.
6. lift-out carpets which we took out on day one, as we can easily wipe or brush the laminate floor.

Also, with a new van, you know nobody has used it before you.

The lack of a front locker is an issue for some people, but for me, it means i had to limit the useless junk we take on trips and it helps to keep the noseweight down.

I agree that some of the internal finishes are not great, but if you look inside a 20K van, they're not great in most of those either.

We towed at first with a Zafira 2.0 diesel, which was fine, now we've got a ford S-max which is also great.

We didn't take too much notice of what others think of the Orion and its rounded shape, we just went for it and haven't regretted it. We've used it loads, and we're off on our second outing to France the week after next!

If you want to know any more, let me know.

Stuart

#12 Rita

Rita

Bright Spark

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,919 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

Hi,

We have a 450-5, and have two children, 11 and 8. We haven't broken anything yet!

For the money (we paid around £12,800 for ours 16 months ago) we think it's a fantastic 'van. I managed to get a new Pyramid awning thrown in to the deal too.

For sure, you'll find better vans on the market, but there are many plus points for us. Here's a few,

1. Alutec construction, so hopefully we wont be visited by the dreaded damp monster as we were in our previous van.
2. 6 year warranty should anything go wrong. Bailey have been great sorting a problem we had with the oven, which is now fine.
3. I regularly whack the side with an awning pole on and it doesn't dent or mark!
4. The van is so light that I can push and site it with my wife, sometimes on my own if it's flat, so no need for the added cost of a motor mover.
5. A microwave is an added bonus.
6. lift-out carpets which we took out on day one, as we can easily wipe or brush the laminate floor.

Also, with a new van, you know nobody has used it before you.

The lack of a front locker is an issue for some people, but for me, it means i had to limit the useless junk we take on trips and it helps to keep the noseweight down.

I agree that some of the internal finishes are not great, but if you look inside a 20K van, they're not great in most of those either.

We towed at first with a Zafira 2.0 diesel, which was fine, now we've got a ford S-max which is also great.

We didn't take too much notice of what others think of the Orion and its rounded shape, we just went for it and haven't regretted it. We've used it loads, and we're off on our second outing to France the week after next!

If you want to know any more, let me know.

Stuart

:goodpost:

#13 Caravanery

Caravanery

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

Thank you Rita, Stuart and Robbos. Very helpful info thrown here.

My local Bailey dealer is near Cambridge. I am keen in buying from them as it's close to where I live which is good to for services and to build up a good relationship. I am always keen in buying locally to both help and for my own security. However the only Orion 450-5 they have is currently a demo and looks battered and it's been sitting there since March, at least this is what they say. So could be even more by the looks of the van. By they're own admission they don't bother to clean the from outside, which is a worry.. They're price for this ex-demo is £13,500. They'd include the gas bottle, water container, waste container, mirrors, toilet chemicals and 85A battery for this price. Oh, my local dealer said that anyone selling an ex-demo for £13,500 would be at a loss.

In the other hand I have a response from an online website for an ex-demo priced at £12,500. The problem is this dealer is 135 miles from home and I don't know the state of the ex-demo.

And finally, the 2013 models will began production in September, we have already booked our summer holidays abroad so won't be able to use this season as much, if anything at all really.

I am the most indecisive person in the world. £14k is a lot of money and this is our first van ever so I'd like a problem free purchase and first year of usage (don't we all..).

Cheers again

Edited by Caravanery, 29 July 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#14 Caravanery

Caravanery

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

Dealer 1 182 miles
Email 1: have one Orion 450/5 left ex-display model @ the price on the WEB site £12950.00 if you are interested a £1500.00 deposit would secure or a £500.00 deposit if you would like to do finance.
Email 2: The next build on the Orions is October which would be a 2013 model but it would also have a possible 3% price increase.I would put you on a top 5 star site for two nights to enable you to use the caravan before going home after collection.But I,me afraid that the price that I have given you is my best price it is a display model but never used.If you have found one factory fresh at a better price should snap it up as they would be selling at a loss.

Dealer 2 135 miles
Email 1:Hello Thankyou for your enquiry regarding the Bailey Orion 450-5 advertised on the Autotrader website.The sale price advertised at £12500 is our best price, the retail price of this caravan is £14560 so as you can see there is already a significant saving.The caravan comes with the 10year Bailey warranty included and will be washed, cleaned and serviced ready fo the road.If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Dealer 3 my local
Ex-demo, in display since March 2012. £13,500.

Edited by Caravanery, 29 July 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#15 Rita

Rita

Bright Spark

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,919 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

How many pairs of feet and bums on seats has that ex demo had

Why not wait till you have looked at different models

And buy next year

#16 Caravanery

Caravanery

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

haha lots Rita.

The thing is the Alu tech technology is really appealing to me, sooner or later the rest of the manufacturers will have to build it this way or similar.

I can buy a 2013 but I can't see any other model that suit us better. This van for us is a winner except for the lack of availability obviously and the 'look but don't touch' feeling in case it breaks...

#17 Rita

Rita

Bright Spark

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,919 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

We always buy Factory Fresh as that way we know No one has been in it other than the work force so no wear and tear to start with

Is this one to far from you

http://www.caravanfi...25784700491223/

#18 Mr Spock

Mr Spock

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Ours is ex demo, 2011 450-5 model. It is a minter. We bought it in March this year and have so far had 3 trips in it. We were supposed to be on our 4th at the moment....

All these prices quoted in here for an ex demo seem to be rather high, we paid a good deal less than all those figures, and it was in very good condition.

Personally I think the interior is finished to a pretty good standard, we have had none of the usual Bailey gripes such as bits of trim not finished properly. After three trips out the interior is still as good a sit was when we picked it up, our boys (9 & 5) have damaged nothing. We have also had a curtain rail and thick curtain put up between the bunks and door to provide a bit of privacy for both age groups during the night. I find the shower fine to use as well, and I'm 6'2" and 15 stone +.
I think they are very good starter caravans.
They are lightweight, which is great, but mind how you go towing, we had a terrifying crash last week in which the caravan started to snake and then pulled us around 540 degrees across two lanes of motorway and into the crash barrier. By a miracle nobody was hurt and no other vehicles were involved.
Our caravan was nearly empty as we had only had a weekend away, I think it was given the wobbles by crosswinds, and possibly by a coach which followed us out when we went to overtake a lorry. So lightweight is great, but would a heavy caravan have got the wobbles so easily?

How many pairs of feet and bums on seats has that ex demo had

Why not wait till you have looked at different models

And buy next year

Any demo van worth its salt should still have all carpets and seats in their wrappers. Ours was.

#19 Caravanery

Caravanery

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Any demo van worth its salt should still have all carpets and seats in their wrappers. Ours was.

The demo I've seen didn't have wrapping cover on the seats.

#20 Caravanery

Caravanery

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

Thanks Rita, do you know them? they are just 40 miles from me. I'll drop them an email.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Orion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users