#1 yozza

yozza

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Caravan, Motorsports, Car DIY and general DIY

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hi guys dont know if you can help me. In our caravan we have got a Carver 3600STC Gas heater with the fanmaster blown air. Now to the problem.

While we where away a couple of weeks ago had cause to use the gas heater. Admittedly it took quite a while to get it to fire to light. Then when it lite it worked fine. On the second day it lit ok.

Now on the last night of our break I tried to light it but it refused to lite at all. I even took the front cover off as could'nt really see the spark on the ignition. Only way I could get to see any kind of spark was if I looked very closely in the ispection window. I must admit when we returned home I tried it again and it did eventually lite and worked fine.

I must admit have not used the heater for a while,

I dont know what could be the cause of this. And im thinking this is going to cost me alot of money, what with getting it serviced and possibly replacement parts.

I have tried emailing Gary at ARC Systems explaining the problem, but still waiting for a reply. Have also tried ringing him on a couple of occasions and left messages on his answer service for him to ring me back but again no response.

#2 JanandJay

JanandJay

Brown Ale Tester

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • Interests:DIY.
    Lager and Wine
    Motorsport
    The Caravan
  • Towcar:Nissan Pathfinder Aventura
  • Caravan:Lunar Solaris 1

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

When was it last serviced?

#3 yozza

yozza

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

Admittedly its not been serviced for a while as its been ok until recently

#4 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

Moved you to Equipment/Gas.

You may get a better response than Lunar Forum

#5 yozza

yozza

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Cheers Lefthand down. Lets hope so

#6 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Cheers Lefthand down. Lets hope so

Gary may be on holiday or busy. Patience is a virtue B)

#7 Arc Systems

Arc Systems

Five Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Not the only one waiting unfortunately, as always, up to the proverbial's at this time of year. Sorry to all those waiting and doing my best to push things along. but I will not be rushed, made that mistake this week and now got to do the same job twice?!

Anyway and in brief, it will be lack of service, fires only get checked at annual service and don't get touched unless a problem found and then asked to be put right as an 'extra'!

Not sure if this might simply be a poor earth problem on the ignition, (white wire too bottom of piezo in the control rod), or something more serious.
Another and very simple problem to rectify is the need for the control rod to be in an exact correct position before it will light.
Try moving the control knob towards the marked lighting position but pressing down and holding down before you get there, now continue to turn until you feel the knob drop a little further and lock unable to turn.
This is the only spot it will light, but now due to wear, can be different to the marked position by several millimetres.

#8 yozza

yozza

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

Thanks Gary will have a look at both the things you suggested. I appreciate your very busy. I was thinking of hoovering behind the main cover to remove any dust, as seen them do this done on a domestic fire

#9 yozza

yozza

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

Have tried lighting my gas fire again over several occasions and now it will not light at all. So looks like its going to be an expensive repair. Still getting a very small spark though.

Does anybody know of what it could be

Gary at ARC Systems, if you read this I also tried the 2 things you suggested but to no avail.

#10 Arc Systems

Arc Systems

Five Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

I could sit hear all night guessing and still not come up with the right answer, what I know for sure is in front of me I'll know for sure in minutes!

Not very expensive though, not much to go wrong, new piezo? burner maybe? might be just a blocked pilot jet, done a few recently, a complete fire overhaul was £120 including return postage, another two were just the burner/gas valve assemblies one was £145 because the owner had had a play and completely ***** it up!
The other, I've still to work out much I dare charge to blow off the white gunk stuck to the top of the brand new unused pilot burner the original fitter had failed to notice?!
I know whatever I decide the return postage will probably double it!

Give me a ring Alan

#11 yozza

yozza

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

Just PM'd you Gary

#12 yozza

yozza

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

Hi guys got an update for you over the gas fire. Finally got round to having it looked at and all that it required was a good service. They also did a gas pressure test, which came back ok. Im well pleaseed with the result.

Here is the company I used and their prices are very reasonable http://www.caravanse...cheshire.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users