#1 nicalumisa

nicalumisa

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Hols with family, fishing, mountain biking

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

I've posted recently regarding my recent puchase and finding the dreaded damp! I've managed to find somewhere under cover (away from all this rain) to carry out some resealing work.

I plan on attacking the work over this weekend and am keen to speed up the drying out process to get the damp levels down. I was wondering what the quickest way is going to be to get the damp readings back to an acceptable level to minimize the amount of damage being caused by the damp that is currently present?

Thanks

Nigel

#2 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,129 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

Good dry air circulation is needed. If that means taking off a wall board then it will dry out quicker.

It is not wise to dry a van using undue heat in case it causes the frame to warp.

I had damp in a van and had to wait a month before resealing was safe to be carried out.

A damp meter will show how it is progressing. If you can be very sure no warping will happen a warm fan may be used VERY sparingly.

#3 Brecon

Brecon

Five Star

• CT Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

There is no quick way.
The only way is to remove th einterior wall boards, remove any affected insulation and rotten wood and replace with new.

Internal wall boards are covered in a foil laminate which is waterproof, the outer skin of the van is also waterproof, so when water gets in, it cannot get out without removal as stated.

#4 Dan1

Dan1

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

My damp eventually went, even stored under my breathable cover, after about three months.

Sounds like a long time but as long as it isnt worsening then its as good as it gets.

Youd be suprised if you dont already know how ventilated caravans are.

#5 ericfield

ericfield

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

I wonder if sealing the caravan from the atmosphere under a cover (plus vent holes) and using a dehumidifier unit inside might speed things up?

#6 KontikiKid

KontikiKid

Five Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts
  • Interests:Motorhomes, Boeing 757's, HSC's, cross channel ferries

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

Slowly is my advice. A de humidifer, windows slightly open etc. Failing that, if you have no de humidifier available, windows slightly open and heating on low.

Slowly, slowly

Russell

#7 AlandMel

AlandMel

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

The most important part is what you have done and what you are doing now. You have the 'van under cover, so its not getting any wetter. You are now sealing any and every suspect fitting, so it won't get wet in use either.

It will slowly dry out now. Brecon is right, in that the moisture is trapped between two waterproof membranes - so a dehumidifier won't be much use, but the seams of the wall board inside are not that well sealed, nor are internal fittings that are screwed into the framework through the wallboard so there is a path for moisture vapour to exit by.

I have heard of people piercing the wallboard with a needle (lots of tiny holes in the dampest areas) to speed the drying, then healing the needle holes with sealant or waterproof PVA glue once the area is dry - but I haven't tried this.

#8 cotterpot

cotterpot

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Walking, flying, motorcycling DIY

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

Slowly is my advice. A de humidifer, windows slightly open etc. Failing that, if you have no de humidifier available, windows slightly open and heating on low.

Slowly, slowly

Russell

You will be trying to dehumidify the world with the windows open :)

#9 AlandMel

AlandMel

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

And it won't work anyway as the moisture is trapped between the waterproof skins of the 'van walls.

Once it is all sealed, heat from the sun will do the job - if we ever get any!

#10 nicalumisa

nicalumisa

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Hols with family, fishing, mountain biking

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

Thanks all

Been busy today (and managed to do the work outside too!! sun all day !!). Have finished sealing the rear rail and grab handles and have removed the rear half of the one side rail and cleaned most of the gunk off the van.

Left every vent and window wide open all day to air as much as possible. I've taken the 'slowly, slowly ' advice on board and will just have to bide my time and see what happens.

I was just hoping to dry the van a bit quicker so i could monitor how successfull my hard graft doing the sealing up has been. I guess i'll just have to be a bit more patient !

Cheers

#11 Dan1

Dan1

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

Dont forget that while it is damp outside the ambient humidity levels are very high so it will take a fair while.....

#12 gump

gump

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Interests:beer wine beer wine

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

buckets off salt will draw it out be careful it ma take all the moisture out

#13 TD 42

TD 42

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

I used the sharpened prongs of my damp meter to go over the worst damp areas, the holes do not notice I punctured the area about every 3-4 inches,& then used a blow heater on low for a few days until the readings came down to 5% then sealed the area with PVA vinyl wall paper adhesive that was last year,& no signs of damp since

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users