#1 big ears

big ears

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:football caravans

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

Hi , We are looking to buy our first caravan we have a nissan qashqai 1.5 cdi , we have been told that we can only tow upto 1200kg , after the 85% rule are we likely to find a 4 berth caravan at 1020kg. not bothered if old/new.
any ideas.

#2 Spurry05

Spurry05

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Photograph, Tropical Fish, Camping.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

I would think so my very old monza is 4 Berth and the plate says gross 816kg

#3 Ellisfield

Ellisfield

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Camping, DIY and now Caravans

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

I have a Bailey and note in my handbook they have some lightweight 4 berths My book is from 1998 but I guess they kept to similar weights in the later vans.
Hunter Lite 440/4 ex works 782kg max auth weight 1000kg
Ranger 440/4 845 and 1077

Ranger would still have a fair payload but you could keep that to within your limit.

So you should just about be OK for weight. How the 1.5 copes will be another matter and you may find it struggles. But this may be OK and you may just have to take it steady with the van on and review when it is time to change cars.

#4 Ribs

Ribs

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

Hi , We are looking to buy our first caravan we have a nissan qashqai 1.5 cdi , we have been told that we can only tow upto 1200kg , after the 85% rule are we likely to find a 4 berth caravan at 1020kg. not bothered if old/new.
any ideas.

Careful. 1200kg is probably the max towing limit set by Nissan. The 85% "rule" refers to 85% of the kerbweight. So be sure you know where that number comes from. If 1200kg is from the Nissan, then find out what 85% of the actual kerbweight is, then go for whichever value is lower.

Modern cars tend to be this way. Odds are you can tow up to the full 1200kg, which will open up your options a bit more. Sit down with the instructions and a cup of tea. It's usually in the back :)

#5 Tigger

Tigger

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

any ideas.

As Ribs says, its 85% of the kerb weight, not 85% of the rated towing weight.

If you want new, try the Bailey Orion range.

#6 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

http://www.caravanta...n-advice/towing

This may be worth a read.

#7 onewheelonmywagon

onewheelonmywagon

Happy Larry

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Towcar:Green Oval D4
  • Caravan:Fleetwood Heritage 560-4

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:03 PM

I believe your kerb weight is 1418 kg.... http://carleasingmad...ai/kerb-weight/

The 85% rule means you can tow 1205kg, but the maximum braked towing weight means you are limited to 1200kg anyway. This figure relates to the maximum laden weight (or MTPLM) of the caravan, not when it's empty. This will be on a plate on the caravan, normally near the door.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon, 18 June 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#8 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts
  • Towcar:Mondeo mk4 Titanium 140
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 470

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

any ideas.

Looking round the web it would seem that your car has a kerbweight of about 1470kg and 85% of this is 1250kg so the max towing weight for your car is less than the 85% recommendation so any van that weighs less than 1200 kg would be suitable.

#9 StevenLisa

StevenLisa

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:The simple life
  • Towcar:Elgrand
  • Caravan:Quaser 616

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:01 AM

There is no 85% rule!!! This is a guide from the carvanning fraternity

You need to deduct your cars mam weight from your cars max towing weight. Whatever you are left with is the permisable mam weight of a trailer/caravan you can legally tow, which maybe less than 85% in some circumstances

#10 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts
  • Towcar:Mondeo mk4 Titanium 140
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 470

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

You need to deduct your cars mam weight from your cars max towing weight. Whatever you are left with is the permisable mam weight of a trailer/caravan you can legally tow, which maybe less than 85% in some circumstances

If we must be pedantic about it then what you can legally tow with a B+E licence depends upon the actual weights of the car and caravan. So you need to take the actual laden weight of the car at the moment you set off and subtract that from the maximum train weight that is plated on the car and as long as the answer you get is greater than the actual weight of the caravan as you set off then providing you have not exceeded the maximum gross weights as plated on the car and the caravan then your outfit is legal.
However, a wise person takes note of recommendations and does not tow a caravan that weighs more than the car, does not tow a caravan that weighs more than the manufacturers max towing weight as described in the handbook ( in this case 1200kg ), and preferably tries to tow with a ratio that is less than 85% even though ALL the professional bodies suggest that this is a recomendation for people new to towing and that a ratio of up to 100% is fine.

#11 Ellisfield

Ellisfield

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Camping, DIY and now Caravans

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

It is not law but it certainly is subject to the laws of physics!

Those who choose to ignore such are perhaps the ones who end up sprawled accross the A303 every summer with a three hour queue of traffic losing a day of their holiday while the services remove a rather small car from an overturned caravan.

This has been my experience on three occasions. The most clear one being a VW polo dangling off the hitch of an overturned full size van. There has been a fair bit regarding the 85% written elsewhere but I do reall think whatever your experience you will come unstuck if you push it. No matter how experienced you are you need to be able to stop the car and van safely even if you are going down a hill at speed or react to something happening around you. It does not take much for a van to pick up the back of a car. I would also guess your insurer will not pay out if you towed a van near or at the car weight and it crashed due to instability.

#12 beejay

beejay

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,035 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

I would also guess your insurer will not pay out if you towed a van near or at the car weight and it crashed due to instability.

If an outfit meets all the plated weights then it is legal and will comply with the insurers requirements (to be legal) in that respect. :huh:

It's a pity that poor driving techniques can't be be invalidated by insurance! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users