3 replies to this topic

#1 2121marty

2121marty

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Hi,
new to the forum so forgive me if this question has been asked before. Proud owner of a newly purchased (late night EBay session!) 1979 Carlight Casetta II. Didnt pay a lot, thnakfully, towed it home 140miles without problems. Upon further investigation, damp issues are much, much worse than at first thought. Wood has disintegrated in parts and some if it you can wring the water out of it like a sponge. Hey Ho, we are in it for the long haul.
Anyway, question is, what timber should I use to repair the frame, I was thinking kiln dried Oak, but a tad worried about the weight, anyone have an opinion on wether Western red cedar would be any good. Going the whole hog with stainless screws etc, not sure on the best Ali bonding sealant to use to stick Ali sheet to wood frame as each section is replaced.
Any advise, recomendations appreciated,

Martin

#2 bartow

bartow

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  • Interests:BO Pete's Jeep!

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

You could probably get this info from Carlight. I think they're in business again.

#3 jimmy41

jimmy41

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:caravaning hill walking dogs,sea fishing,camping

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

hope this helps you out Attached File  Carlight Caravans Ltd.htm   117.19KB   19 downloads

#4 kiaman

kiaman

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life to the full!

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

With regard to timber, the frame of a Morgan sports car is constructed of Ash & I wouldn't mind betting the same may well apply to a Carlight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users