8 replies to this topic

#1 caline

caline

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:34 AM

I have an old viking fibreline 70's van. It has the original 2 way fridge. The fridge runs well on gas. Over the years someone has installed a switch, and I think this is to switch the fridge to run off the tow car battery while towing.

My question is, how can I have the fridge run off of EHU while on site? Would I need to get a battery charger installed to continuously charge the battery so that the fridge will run off 12v all of the time.

I have a new baby and, although I have had the fridge serviced recently, I don't want to use gas appliances while she is asleep in the van.

Aside from replacing the fridge with a 3 way, which I don't want to do, what are my options? Can a 2 way fridge be run off of EHU, or the battery with an inline charger?

Thanks

#2 Brecon

Brecon

Five Star

• CT Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

what make and model of fridge?

#3 Gordon

Gordon

Gordon.

• CT Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,539 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

I presume you have an Electrolux RM 122 that was only available for gas or 12V operation and this will take a substantial battery charger to continuously supply 12V to keep the unit cool. Given also that the 12V system is only designed to keep the fridge cool whilst on tow, and has no thermostat, I doubt if it would be suitable to be run 24/7.
Attached File  Electrolux RM 122.jpg   3.94KB   4 downloads Attached File  Electrolux RM 122 Controls.jpg   4.75KB   5 downloads
Regarding your family, I don't honestly believe you have anything to worry about from operating your existing two way fridge on gas, providing it is serviced regularly. The exhaust gas fumes should be safely ducted through the caravan wall to the outside, but unlike later models the heat exchanger cooling is from the circulation of fresh air from within the caravan. This can be an advantage on cool evenings, as the waste heat from the fridge will keep the chill off the interior of the 'van, but may work against you during the summer months, when you really want it cooler.
Gordon.

#4 caline

caline

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Its an Electrolux RM 122 'Bottled gas and 12v operation'

#5 CommanderDave

CommanderDave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,663 posts
  • Interests:Model Eng, Jetski, DIY, Caravan, Traction Engines

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

As Gordon says the RM122 is best run only on gas when on site . It would need another change to a fridge that is 240v to run on EHU as the 12v supply to fridges is very high amps .

I could not even say how many caravans I have owned with RM122 fridges over the last 45 + yrs but they are a very simple and reliable fridge as long as the fridge is level and the gas jet is kept clean and the flue. The real old ones used to have a flint to light the gas burner before the push button ignition spark . :)

Dave

#6 caline

caline

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

Thank you very much for your replies.

You have reassured me as far as the safety of the fridge goes. I will have it serviced before we use the van this year.

Thank you

#7 Gordon

Gordon

Gordon.

• CT Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,539 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

You have reassured me as far as the safety of the fridge goes.

I have sent some information to your registered email address.
Gordon.

#8 caline

caline

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Thanks Gordon

#9 gillberry

gillberry

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Classic cars
  • Towcar:Volvo XC90. Volvo Amazon Estate, Vauxhall Astra
  • Caravan:1967 Cheltenham Nyala

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

We have the same fridge in our 1967 nyala but we have trouble keeping it alight it is serviced every year but depending in the weather it goes out. It is vented through the back with a modern vent and there is a vent in the floor. When we had our fawn we never had a problem . So if anyone can suggest something it would be appreciated I don't want to change it as it fits nicely in the space we have . We looked at a new one last year as they now make small ones again but it would mean cutting the van about

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users