27 replies to this topic

#1 pete5508

pete5508

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

Does anyone here use their caravan table in the awning with chairs to eat or do you take a separate table, I'm looking at trimming some weight, however I dont know how a wooden topped caravan table would fair in an awning when touring with damp then hot. Or should I just continue taking a separate table and chairs the one we have at the moment has the chairs built in on the corners ok for the kids but a bit un comfy for us adults. Any views greatly appreciated as always.

Edited by pete5508, 10 May 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#2 Guest_marksimonpowell_*

Guest_marksimonpowell_*

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

how about a plastic patio table and chairs? thats what we use. rarely use the "inside" table

#3 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

I use a rollup alloy table.

#4 pete5508

pete5508

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

I thought about the patio set but would struggle to stow the chairs as we often stop and use the van for brewing up etc and would have to keep unloading the chairs. The fold up alloy tables are great I have one from camping it seems though that you cant buy bench seats (ideal for kids) on their own .

#5 David Park

David Park

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Interests:1940 Wartime events.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

You know we never use the large caravan table.
Think I will take it out and leave at home.
For the awning we take a folding leg table from Argos and a pair of chairs.
For meals in the caravan as there is only the 2 of us we just use the folding table on top of front chest of drawers.

#6 madatter

madatter

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

We use the caravan table in the caravan, awning and outside (when its not raining). Cant really see how taking another table can save weight.

Edited by madatter, 10 May 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#7 pete5508

pete5508

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

We use the caravan table in the caravan, awning and outside (when its not raining). Cant really see how taking another table can save weight.

That's what I was looking at doing (to save weight) but don't want to ruin the caravan table so I'm looking at other light weight options.

You know we never use the large caravan table.
Think I will take it out and leave at home.
For the awning we take a folding leg table from Argos and a pair of chairs.
For meals in the caravan as there is only the 2 of us we just use the folding table on top of front chest of drawers.

That's exactly what we would do we are a family of 5 though.

Edited by pete5508, 10 May 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#8 MrsT

MrsT

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Road cycling

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

On a long holiday, I use the caravan table in the awning, as somewhere to cook. I use a small gas ring and a Remoska.
We have an aluminium roll up table to eat at, as its easier to move outside and back into the awning.
On short trips we use the caravan table inside.

#9 PR1

PR1

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, gardening, Land Rovers

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

As there are only two of us we take a lightweight table for the awning, and keep the caravan table inside for use at breakfast.

#10 Guest_jks_*

Guest_jks_*

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

We leave the caravan table at home to save weight and take a lightweight table for the awning. The pull out table on the chest of drawers is enough for us in the van. Haven't used a caravan table in the last 3 vans, all still on their packaging!

Edited by jks, 10 May 2012 - 05:30 PM.

#11 caretakerpete

caretakerpete

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Interests:stick makeing,pipe smoking,diy

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

We always use the van table in the awning, we use pull out table on chest of drawers for breakfast, cuppas etc, never had problem with table in awning but we do put a tablecloth on it.
We use van table as it stows away neatly for travelling, it's not really that heavy.

Pete

#12 slimseydy

slimseydy

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Interests:Cars & Caravans
  • Towcar:2014 Volvo V60 SE LUX
  • Caravan:Willerby Severn 36x12 Static Caravan

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

I also use roll up table .light as a feather and comes in handy sleeve for storage .also Argos has a sale on at the moment so they are all cheap cheap cheap

#13 Steamdrivenandy

Steamdrivenandy

Random Word Generator aka SDA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Interests:Steam (GWR King 6024)
    Eribas
    Garden Design
  • Towcar:Kia Cee'd SW auto 1.6CRDi
  • Caravan:Sussex Amberley (dealer special Lunar Quasar 464)

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

You get table choices with most Eribas.

The classic Eriba tables have varied in finish and style over the years and their length tends to vary dependent on model layout.

Usually the main tables are a good 4ft or so long and clip to the rear of the van under the lounge window, with a single folding leg at the other end. They're not light but they can be removed from the lounge and clipped to the exterior of the van, just outside the main door. Used this way, in an awning for instance, overcomes the problem of what to do with the table if you want to turn the lounge benches into a double bed as there is no dedicated table storage. Otherwise if there's no awning and you need to remove the table it's often slid under the back of the van.

Several layouts have a second, smaller table fitted up front. It's attached to the gas locker bulkhead in the same way as its bigger brother up the back and can fit outside as a smaller awning table if you wish. This table has a knuckled folding leg as it also doubles as the support for bed cushions when the front dinette is converted.

Quite a few people grow to dislike the big table and many have chosen to fit a B&Q Cherry IT Kitchen door with appropriate fittings to make a cheap, smaller, lighter alternative.

Eriba also featured another alternative with some models, a freestanding table. This was introduced when Hymer offered a centre cabinet option which meant the rail to attach a big table was no longer available. This freestander is a real beast. Around 4ft 6ins long by 22ins, it stands on two pairs of grey painted tubular folding legs. Lightweight it is not. For the first few years storage was provided upright against the exterior wall of the wardrobe, with suitable securing clips. This meant the nearside bench was shortened from its normal 6ft 3ins to around 5ft 9ins or so and a natty bedhead was fitted to stop hair getting caught up on the leg mechanism. This was rethought after several years and provision made under the offside bench so that the table could be slid under the bed slats. Of course in both cases a major piece of weight was being placed on one side or the other although I've never heard anyone say they felt it actually affected stability.

The beauty of the freestander outside is that it's not confined to one spot hitched to the caravan side, but can be used anywhere, including the garden at home if you want.

Regrettably my large freestander has been butchered and for reasons I can't fathom, turned into a one leg hitched to the wall job. This means it can't be used inside the van and can only be used in one place outside the van. The flexibility as well as its looks and legs have disappeared. Added to that it slides about in its storage mount under the bench because it's been shortened and has damaged the beautiful wood table edging quite badly. A travesty and a very expensive one, because Hymer want nearly £700 for a matching replacement.

To add salt to the wound, the English Eriba dealer tells me that without the proper table he wouldn't take it in part exchange or buy it in for stock, because customers want 'original finish all round'.

Edited by Steamdrivenandy, 10 May 2012 - 06:57 PM.

#14 daisymaisy

daisymaisy

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

we only have a small van so always have the awning up and we take a plastic folding table for use in the awning,we also take with us a very lightweight aluminium work bench with a couple of little cushions it is ideal for sitting on,or without cushions we put a BBQ on ,and have also used it in a party gazebo as a table for drinks as its long and narrow it takes up less room when there is a big gathering .I think it only cost about £17 but has proved to be one of the best pieces of equipment we have bought

#15 gump

gump

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Interests:beer wine beer wine

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

your caravan would be wieghed with the inhabitation gear the table would be part of this so dont think you are loosing kgs unless this is a old van but take this on board,

#16 Steamdrivenandy

Steamdrivenandy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
    Eribas
    Garden Design

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

We once used a wallpaper pasting table for booze at a barbecue.
Big mistake
Wallpaper tables don't take kindly to heavy weights, being leant on, sat on or being errfed.

#17 daisymaisy

daisymaisy

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

this is similar thing to what we use for extra seating etc
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a1ab21862

#18 Steamdrivenandy

Steamdrivenandy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
    Eribas
    Garden Design

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

this is similar thing to what we use for extra seating etc
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a1ab21862

I remember one of them.

Our kitchen fitter from 18 months ago perched all his 22 stone on it most of the day.

His younger (and much slimmer) mate seemed to do all the work witout any input from 'Slim'.

I occasionally wondered why he actually came.

#19 daisymaisy

daisymaisy

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

I remember one of them.

Our kitchen fitter from 18 months ago perched all his 22 stone on it most of the day.

His younger (and much slimmer) mate seemed to do all the work witout any input from 'Slim'.

I occasionally wondered why he actually came.

well there you have it folks ,this piece of equipment can take the fattest of caravanners :lol: :lol: :lol:

#20 madatter

madatter

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

Part of the the OP was "how a wooden topped caravan table would fair in an awning when touring with damp then hot" Does anybody have any experience off problems with doing this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users