#1 rodders68

rodders68

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Interests:caravaning, computers and playing big band music

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

hi folk, i have been looking to downsize our pageant, and realy like the design and build of the hymer.
i would welcome any comments, views, faults on this model.
i shall be looking at 2007 on, unless i find a very good earlier model
models i have seen look bullet proof and having been struck by the dreaded damp on my last two uk vans, would hope that this make is the one for us.
and we like the layout.

thanks for any advice given,

cheers rodders B)

#2 Rita

Rita

Bright Spark

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

Not sure where you live but you could look here

http://www.elitecaravans.co.uk/

#3 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • Interests:My Springers, Horses & LR Defender 90 + the C17 Boeing

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

Rodders; the Hymer, all Hymers are beautifully built vans but so are so many other European vans such as the Hobby range.

As long as you aren't too bothered as to where the door is, I am sure you will find a superb brick built ultra high quality caravan within your budget, who knows it might even be worthwhile seeing what you can find on offer over in Europe?

#4 indoors

indoors

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Interests:Family,Friends,
    France,Caravanning,

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

Hi Rodders,
After 13 new caravans, the last 7 being of German build, I'd say well done for takeing the first bold step away from the mainstream. I'm sure you won't regret it. I've seen first hand how these caravans are put together, earlier German 'vans would never have won any beauty contests on CC rallies but they'd allways come tops when it comes to Quallity build. I'd even go as far as to say if people can afford to spend 20 odd grand on a top of the range Bailey or SwIft, I'd spend a couple more and have the Hymer everytime. Let us all know how you get on.Catch ya later,indoors.

#5 rodders68

rodders68

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Interests:caravaning, computers and playing big band music

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

Hi Rodders,
After 13 new caravans, the last 7 being of German build, I'd say well done for takeing the first bold step away from the mainstream. I'm sure you won't regret it. I've seen first hand how these caravans are put together, earlier German 'vans would never have won any beauty contests on CC rallies but they'd allways come tops when it comes to Quallity build. I'd even go as far as to say if people can afford to spend 20 odd grand on a top of the range Bailey or SwIft, I'd spend a couple more and have the Hymer everytime. Let us all know how you get on.Catch ya later,indoors.

thanks for your replies, i do like the standard uk layout.
have looked at hobby,s and other german builds.
but not one with this layout, like the long seats.
not bothered which side door is on as we tour france a lot, and love it.
hey indoors, just spent a week at isle de offard near you, last month, shame i did not have your address, could have have a wee dram together.

cheers rodders B)

#6 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • Towcar:Mondeo mk4 Titanium 140
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 470

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

I have a 2003 nova 470, my brother has a 2006 nova 390 and from a cursory look the earlier models are better built than the later ones, though not in any appreciable ways. John has had his for a couple Of years now and there were quite a few niggling little problems when he got it, little things that were broken an not fixed yet when I looked at the same things on my van they were of a much more robust manufacture and were unlikely to break. When I get into the 390 it looks tiny and cramped in comparison, though when we ought ours in 2003 we seriously considered the 390, we are now glad we did not.
Whichever you go for you can be sure that you will not regret it, we never have and I can not ever see us wanting to buy a different van. Yes we fancy one with twin fixed beds, but that will never happen as we do not have the pace to store it, our van is as big as we can manage.

#7 JTQ

JTQ

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,946 posts
  • Interests:Engineering, computing, outdoor life. cycling and walking

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

I can only add to the endorsement of Hymers having had a 2002 and now a 2008. Trouble is after buying into this quality of technical construction you are not readily going to find any other brand to move onto!
Like Bill Lord I think the earlier pre 2006s were a little better built in some areas though aesthetically IMO less pleasing.
If going 2006 + check near the hinge, along the top of the ABS gas locker lid, some suffered cracking which Hymer originally were replacing on an "only if customer moaned" basis.

Edited by JTQ, 07 May 2012 - 11:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users