• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Alexbee

Alexbee

Four Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Interests:General pottering. Maintaining my truck.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

For those who travel to "the abroad" with their vans I can see the value in having a/c. I can also see occasional value in the Uk, on that odd sunny day. Id imagine a metal van with its less than fantastic insulation properties could warm up a bit. However a/c in caravans in the UK is the exception rather than rule, so Id suppose its one of these things that might be a nice to have rather than a necessity. So, who has a/c and do you use it much in the UK?. Who thinks its daft and a waste of money and does nothing that opening a window wont?
As well as cooling of course an a/c unit also dehumidifies the air. Does that make it any more desirable bearing in mind that damp can be an issue in vans.

#2 freddie

freddie

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:trucks lurchers
  • Towcar:landcruiser amazon / hilux extra cab
  • Caravan:Elddis super sirocco / north star demountable

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

i have roof mounted dometic fitted from new it was a blessing down in greece even used it on the ancona ferry

i do use it in the uk but not on campsites as they seem to offend i mainly use it when i am parked up with the rest of the film unit
and have been working outside for 12 14 hrs in the blazing sun
its great if i can nip back to my van put the ac on for a few hrs before we wrap then come backto a long cool shower and a cold beer and a cool van to relax in

Edited by freddie, 13 April 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#3 DeadMeatUK

DeadMeatUK

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Interests:Master of the mechanical stuff

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

I have a roof mounted A/C unit, Does work but never used in anger :( ... Maybe this will be the year of the sun?

As for dehumidifying the thermostat minimum temperature is 18deg so cannot be used until the inside temp is above this! thinking of adding a bypass switch so I can use it first thing, but access to the parts is via the roof.

Edited by DeadMeatUK, 13 April 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#4 Nick J

Nick J

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

How about one of these? don't know if they work but pretty cheap...

http://www.coolmycam...ow-it-works.htm

#5 DeadMeatUK

DeadMeatUK

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Interests:Master of the mechanical stuff

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

How about one of these? don't know if they work but pretty cheap...

http://www.coolmycam...ow-it-works.htm

COOL!!!

#6 TedNewman

TedNewman

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

We have a roof mounted Dometic unit and found it invaluable down in North Africa BUT they do need a a good electricity supply, fortunately Morocco sites seem on the whole to be blessed with a 10 amp system.

We use it the UK and Europe to cool the van down when the van has been standing locked up all day BUT we do not use it at night as they can be noisy - not as noisy as a generator but still intrusive.

#7 KontikiKid

KontikiKid

Five Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts
  • Interests:Motorhomes, Boeing 757's, HSC's, cross channel ferries

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

Hi

Roof mounted Dometic system fitted here - would not be without it....and to prove the point....

Bought a van in 2007 - first one with roof aircon. Replaced the van in 2008 - and fitted aircon. Removed the aircon prior to getting rid of the van and sold it as a unit. Bought a new van and did not want aircon. Missed it, so had it retro fitted.

Overseas - it's really good at night time - low setting, very quiet.

UK - it was used daily when the dog was alive and kicking - she would be sleeping blissfully in the cool whilst humans were sweating to death outdoors.

The weight might be a drawback for some - 25 - 30 kg depending upon the model.

The aircon can also provide gentle heat and on the occasion my boiler failed, in January 2011...enough said!

I find it particularly useful on humid days.

On a really hot day, but with a breeze, windows and roof vents open.

Horses for courses. There'll be folks who would rather spend the £1800 or there abouts on as many weekends away as possible etc. Others would stump up for the air con.

No easy answer.

Russell

#8 Gordon

Gordon

Gordon.

• CT Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

Our last two motorhomes have both had A/C as standard. Both have been turned on to test, but never really needed in UK, and limited EHU current abroad means it is often not viable without running the onboard genny.
The result is that I do the same as most people and just open a window when it's warm!
Gordon.

#9 outhouse

outhouse

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Had it on our last two vans wouldn't want to be without it even though we never travel abroad.

A few years ago even came home to find the shut up house fit to ignite with heat so we simply remade the caravan bed turned on the a/c and had a great night's sleep.

PS ideal for Sctoland if you're trying to keep midges out but weather is warm.

#10 phil1041

phil1041

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

I have the Truma 'under the bed' system very quiet, cannot be heard from the outside, draws very little power so can be used on 6 amp hook ups abroad, very good, would not be without it, particularly when in Spain where i shall be again in 6 weeks time.

Phil.

#11 nevonheronlake

nevonheronlake

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Interests:photography, computer,holidays abroad or caravan.<
  • Towcar:57plate Kia sorrento
  • Caravan:2010 buccaneer argosy 40th anniversary model

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

We have it in our schooner and it's very good

#12 LewisWD

LewisWD

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

The unit at CoolMyCamper is the same as the unit sold in Europe. The Eurpean version is badged MistralVan by a company called Laminox. They have been around for a few years so are known to be reliable.

The big diffrence is the price - one site (eostis.com) is selling the portable air conditioniing unit at 1049.90 Euros.

So £450.00 seems like a stonking deal at http://www.CoolMyCamper.com :D

#13 sirjohnfaulkner

sirjohnfaulkner

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

I have an AMCOR MF 100000 E. the unit is portable [ just ]and i have made a piece of MDF with vent hole that replaces a front window. Inside of van is like a fridge when it runs but noise can be an issue as the vented air is noisy.

I considered a fitted unit but the cost put me off, The amcor cost me £200 and has run without issue for a month each year in the south of France. You cannot put a price on a good nights sleep.

#14 Guest_marksimonpowell_*

Guest_marksimonpowell_*

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

I've recently bought a portable ac unit - I was hoping to exhaust through the awning warmer outlet - will this work?

#15 sirjohnfaulkner

sirjohnfaulkner

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

The difficulty with a portable air con unit is venting the hot air. I sit my unit at the front of the van and the vent pipe goes out of the front window. I have a piece of MDF with a hole cut out that sits in the blind channels preventing the hot air blowing back in or mozzies flying in. It does occupy the front end of the van but in France I only ever sleep in the van and do not need the room.

Difficulty has been that if the vent points at neighbours unit they will not get much sleep. This was brought home to me by a French tenter who had to be plied with whiskey to placate him after a night in the firing line of my pipe.

It would be better I think to put a vent hole in the floor which should baffle some of the noise. Never had the bottle to get a vent hole cut but with the advent of Baileys wet locker damp issue I could send the air out that way without doing much more damage.

I have never come across an awning warmer outlet, my vent pipe is 4" so a big hole would be needed and it is not recomended to reduce the vent diameter or extended the vent hose length.

#16 nevonheronlake

nevonheronlake

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Interests:photography, computer,holidays abroad or caravan.<
  • Towcar:57plate Kia sorrento
  • Caravan:2010 buccaneer argosy 40th anniversary model

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

Don't forget you can use it to warm yourbunitvas well as cooling

0 user(s) are reading this topic