10 replies to this topic

#1 hammerman

hammerman

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Holidays, Working Dogs and enjoying retirement

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

Hi All, new to the forum and looking for some advice. My 2006 bailey Pageant has some front side panel water ingress that has shown itself as needling and sponginess to the touch, quite serious. I am having problems with the dealer sitting behind Bailey Warranty standard in that I have on a couple of occasions had my van serviced by an un approved by Bailey agent.

However, in 2009 on the van 3rd anniversary it was serviced by the dealer, his damp reading report indicated readings of 40% in 3 places and 30% in 2 places. The advice to me at that time was to keep an eye on it! but no indication as to how long I was supposed to watch it. To cut a long story short it has been back to the dealer for service and the damp pointed out, they say that the warranty is worthless because of the incidence on non approved servicing. Incidentally it has been back on 3 occasions since for damp warranty work, replace faulty bay window rubber seals and a new front pot shelf due to water ingress as a result of faulty seals.

My research has shown up a Caravan Industry standard that says damp readings of 21 to 24% are indicative of water ingress and remedial investigation is required. A reading of 25 to 30% shows moisture present and repair work required, a reading of 31% and above means structural damage is occurring, deterioration inevitable and a full strip down of the area is required. Taking these standards into account I believe that in 2009 my van should have been subject to further investigation and repair. Telling me to just keep an eye on it was a failure on my dealers responsibility to me as their customer that has led to me being in the position I now find myself. A damaged van and no help from dealer or Bailey, your views or advice welcome.

#2 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • Interests:My Springers, Horses & LR Defender 90 + the C17 Boeing

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

Hammerman your story is a very sorry one but oh so sadly not one which is in any way shape or form unique as has been reported on these pages so many times before.

As a complete outsider, it would honestly look like there are some good, caring, conscientious dealers but they would appear to be very much in the minority.

From the story you tell I think you might have difficulty in finding a satisfactory answer to your very worrying problems. It might just be worth taking legal guidance on the matter.

Sorry but good luck

#3 Rita

Rita

Bright Spark

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

bigjimmy Reason for no co-operation from dealer is 2 services done by Un approved engineer

So warranty invalid

#4 Guest_Inner State_*

Guest_Inner State_*

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'm not so sure that legally the warranty will be invalid. Just like cars used to be until the law jumped on the manufacturers, if your car is serviced using the appropriate parts and to the appropriate schedule the warranty has to be honoured. I'm confident IF it can be shown that the damp is nothing to do with the servicing but a fault due to materials or assembly then they would have to cough up.

J

#5 Alan Stanley

Alan Stanley

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts
  • Interests:LIVE LIFE AND PROSPER. Churchill, Woodwork, Vanning
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento Kx2
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn Valencia 2

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

It would be an interesting case to explore. I have long held the belief that correctly challenged most Caravan warranty restrictions would now be held as illegal and contrary to the Sale of Goods act. Other than a visual and moisture test I am not aware of any actual 'Servicing' any dealer or manufacturer conducts. The van is either dry or not.

In your case the initial questions to be answered are :-

1. Was the van serviced by an approved dealer between new and the third Service. If so the readings given by the dealer is indicative of serious problems and should have been the subject of further investigation at that point. In not doing so the dealer is negligent and your claim would be against him. Not Bailey they did not do the tests or probably even know about them. To pursue the dealer with this claim you would have to prove what you were told about it only needing to keep an eye on it and prove that the subsequent damage is related to this.

2. If you used a non approved service agent prior to this dodgy 3rd service advice then you would have to prove that the damp tests carried out up to that point were conducted to the approved standard and with approved equipment, then that the dealer gave you that advice and as a consequence you acted on it

3. Add to that the work that has been carried out since and you have an extremely complex situation that on the facts given does not have a Black and White answer. You may find you have an insurance policy or something like AA membership that gives free legal advice.

#6 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • Interests:My Springers, Horses & LR Defender 90 + the C17 Boeing

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

It would be an interesting case to explore. I have long held the belief that correctly challenged most Caravan warranty restrictions would now be held as illegal and contrary to the Sale of Goods act.

Well said that man.

#7 Tigger

Tigger

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

I guess the issue is whether the damp is worse than it would have been if it had been spotted by the official dealer.

I'm sure that other people in similar situations have reached a compromise with Bailey, where Bailey have paid for the parts but the customer for the labour.

#8 bobcarol

bobcarol

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Lunar Freelander 3 2007 and a Hyundai 2.lt 52 plate

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

hi.

I have a Bailey Ranger 460/4 ( 2008) which has developed stress fractures, I part financed this caravan with a personel loan from Black Horse. I contacted Black Horse, who will raise the issue under a quality complaint, as they are responsible for the full amount , reading other forums uk campsite etc,and the sale of goods act covers for up to six (6) years from date of purchase.

just a thought

#9 Don Coffey

Don Coffey

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hi Hammerman,

A worrying and stressful time for you. Do you have a copy of the third service report showing the damp readings, if so this should strengthen your case as it should show the dealer knew of the problem but gave wrong/poor advice.

Don

#10 bobcarol

bobcarol

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Lunar Freelander 3 2007 and a Hyundai 2.lt 52 plate

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

hi just an update on my caravan etc, i had a report done,and sent off to Black Horse,they arranged for caravan to be taken back to JR Leisure (leicester),this took place on the 14/Aug/2012 and on the 16th of the same month, had a phone call telling me the caravan had been written off due to an accident on route. courier paid out £6,500.00 and settled the loan,

#11 Caravanmedicswindon

Caravanmedicswindon

Five Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

As it was correctly serviced on the 3rd year you will possibly have a case against the dealer who serviced it, you may need to send letters to them ref the damp by recorded delivery, if they wont play ball you may have to speak to trading standards or a solicitor. May I ask why you didn't use an Approved Workshop after the 3rd year?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users