14 replies to this topic

#1 Spangle55

Spangle55

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Hi all,

I have a 12v TV/DVD (Meos) and a 12v socket in my Abbey GTS416. The TV wont work properly connected to it though and it seems that the Zig unit is causing the problem. Here's what I've done to diagnose the fault and I'm hoping someone may be able to offer some advice.

The problem is I either get no picture with sound or sound with no picture. The TV works fine using the 240v adapter (output is 12v) or if the van is connected to a hookup/generator but still using the 12v socket.

I contacted Meos support and they advised the issue is to do with the voltage dropping from the battery.

Installed a brand new 105ah leisure battery, TV worked fine for 15 mins then the fault showed again. Tested battery with a multimeter and it showed 13.3v. Zig unit showed full charge.

TV works fine from a car 12v cigarette socket, tested for an hour.

So it seem the Zig unit is not outputting enough voltage to the 12v circuit to power the TV.

Has anyone heard of this? any advice would be welcomed.

#2 proterra

proterra

proterra

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

how about if you run it on 12V only with no mains to the van connected? So its just on caravan battery.

#3 david 1220

david 1220

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts
  • Interests:If Cliff Richards can convert one----------

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Hi,
These are my thoughts on your problem, - I think it might be a voltage drop problem-perhaps caused by dirty contact in the wiring.
If possible can you plug in the T.V. with the (12volt ) cover on the plug removed ? with the T.V. switched on check with test meter the voltage --on load at the plug . dont do it with the mains plug !
cheers david 1220

#4 Spangle55

Spangle55

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

how about if you run it on 12V only with no mains to the van connected? So its just on caravan battery.

Hi, thats when the problem occurs, if it's on 12v battery only. If I keep it on 12v and plug in a hookup cable the TV works fine.

Hi,
These are my thoughts on your problem, - I think it might be a voltage drop problem-perhaps caused by dirty contact in the wiring.
If possible can you plug in the T.V. with the (12volt ) cover on the plug removed ? with the T.V. switched on check with test meter the voltage --on load at the plug . dont do it with the mains plug !
cheers david 1220

Good point, I'll try that next weekend when I'm next using it and report back. I can also connect a cigar socket I have with crocodile clips dirctly to the battery and test it. That was it will narrow the issue down to the caravan wiring I guess.

The 12v lead supplied with the TV is a cigar type one so I run an adapter for the 2 pin socket in the caravan. I could try a different lead as I know they have a resistor in them.

I'm often pitched up at locations without hookup and running a generator late evening isn't an option.

Thanks for your responses.

#5 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,128 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

When its on battery and EHU connected it get the voltage from the battery charger.

Unplug EHU and the charger is off.

The Zig is the place to look.

I would use a fused feed direct from the battery and have a solar panel fitted to top up the battery. Unless you use the genny of course.

#6 Paul_B

Paul_B

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,287 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Keeping Traditional Poultry
    Swilling Grilling & Chilling

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

I have my tv connected to our battery through my own leads, in my opinion the caravans wiring was far too thin.

Well its actually connected to my solar controller which is direct to the battery :huh:

#7 david 1220

david 1220

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts
  • Interests:If Cliff Richards can convert one----------

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

Hi,
Further to my earlier post (no3 ) while you have the T.V. on and have checked the voltage leave T.V. on and go to the terminals of the battery and check the voltage. If ( as i suspect ) you find a difference then its in the caravan wiring/ units. the quick way is of course to wire T.V. direct ( via a fuse ! ) to the battery,but--- you will all ways wonder what's causing the problem so--go for it ! lets know how you get on.
cheers david 1220

#8 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts
  • Interests:fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

It might be worth checking the fuse inside the cigar plug, also the connections.

The TV should work down to around 11 volts.

#9 Entwood

Entwood

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • Interests:Quietly Confident

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

The voltage you read with a meter can be dramatically different to the voltage the item gets when drawing current. As said i think you have a voltage drop problem, cause could be .. poor (thin) wiring to the socket, bad connections either in the socket the plug or the plug into the socket (if that makes sense).

I had similar problems in an older van with a (much) older TV. The solution was to use some very thick DC cable and connect directly to the battery... TV worked fine and for many hours ..

There doesn't have to be much of a "poor" connection somewhere to increase the resistance in the circuit to drop the voltage quickly, while a current is drawn .. as your meter draws no current it will never see this problem.

#10 chapmag

chapmag

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

It might be worth checking the fuse inside the cigar plug, also the connections.

The TV should work down to around 11 volts.

My Avtex gave out at 11.65 volts this last week!

Swapped batteries for a fully charged one and all OK.

To the OP... as has been said... wire the TV direct to the battery to confirm it's either the ZIG or the caravan wiring!

HTH

G.

Edited by chapmag, 04 April 2012 - 10:47 PM.

#11 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts
  • Interests:fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

It depends on which TV you use, the old set i have requires a minimum of 10 volts, at the TV.

Refer to the TV manual.

#12 Spangle55

Spangle55

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I'm going to test the output under load to prove the caravan wiring is causing the issue and test the TV directly off the battery. Once I've proved that I will fit a 2nd 12v socket and wire it to the the battery with an inline fuse which will be neat and tidy.

I've learnt a lot from your answers to my problem so thanks again and I'll report back after I've done the tests.

#13 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,128 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

Do disconnect the battery while you do your mods. We don't want any hot wires.

#14 Spangle55

Spangle55

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Hi all,

Sorry it's been a while. I ran the TV directly off the battery as advised and it works fine. I didn't run any multi meter tests as it worked and proved the point.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

#15 Paul_B

Paul_B

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,287 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Keeping Traditional Poultry
    Swilling Grilling & Chilling

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

Its nice to hear a happy ending :)

So how do you rate the mios?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users