19 replies to this topic

#1 IanHopperdl16

IanHopperdl16

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:34 pm

Hi does anyone know if the shower skylight in my Valencia will split into the inner and outer skins so I can clean it. There is a lot of dust between the 2 panels - I have removed the skylight on another model before but the 2 panels were glued together - cannot tell on Valencia if it is the same

#2 Hairyspinner

Hairyspinner

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Towcar:Hyundai Santa Fe
  • Caravan:Unicorn Valencia 2 with warm bathroom!

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:23 pm

Can't help I'm afraid, but mines the same! I guess you can remove the whole thing & immerse it into a soapy bath or similar. A poor design really?

#3 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,393 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:10 pm

Seeing as it is in the shower room can you spray it with a garden spray? Carefully. ;)

#4 wiz2003

wiz2003

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Technology, real ale, red wine, music and caravanning
  • Towcar:Seat Ateca 190ps 4wd DSG
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn Valencia v1

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:47 am

Seeing as it is in the shower room can you spray it with a garden spray? Carefully. ;)

Or just use the shower spray?

#5 Davedebucket

Davedebucket

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:48 pm

I have had the same problem with our last caravan a Coachman, they are easy to remove, lay them in a big bowl with water with some Milton's in it, let them soak over night and bingo, nice & clean, I soak the cassette toilet & waist water container ever year & that keep them all nice & clean. just put 3 or 4 cap fulls in,
Hope that helps,
Dave. :)

#6 Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts
  • Towcar:Volkswagen Transporter T30 Kombi
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn 3 Cartagena

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:26 pm

Hi i need to tackle this job on my U3. Has anyone done this job since the OP posted 5 years ago. Can someone explain how you remove the skylight or separate the acrylic layers to clean it?

Thanks

#7 Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning (of course)
    Playing Guitar
    Cycling & Rugby

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:19 am

This has been covered a few times before.

Below is the method described by ROB2 in 2009 which I followed a few weeks ago with great success on my Barcelona.

"Used posidrive to undo the 4 screws on 'legs'where they go into the rooflight. I marked the front of the rooflight with a marker pen (a tiny mark) to make sure it went back the same way.
Then took the rooflight out by the roof of the caravan.
The screws that hold the two 'windows' of the rooflight together need a Star screwdriver otherwise known as a Torx screwdriver. The one I used was a T25x100mm. Be careful not to put a lot of pressure on the rooflight when undoing the screws that hold the two windows together as the plastic rooflight is quite fragile. You need to separate the two windows to clean the rooflight completely.
Once separated I cleaned the rooflight windows in warm soapy water and reassembled in reverse order."

Rob2

#8 Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:25 am

Thank you Barney for finding and sharing tbe info. I did do a forum search hence why i resurrected the OPs posting

#9 VOLVOVANNER

VOLVOVANNER

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:DIY, Caravanning, Cars
  • Towcar:2014 VW Touareg 245PS R-Line
  • Caravan:2014 Buccaneer Schooner

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:38 pm

"Used posidrive to undo the 4 screws on 'legs'where they go into the rooflight. I marked the front of the rooflight with a marker pen (a tiny mark) to make sure it went back the same way.
The screws that hold the two 'windows' of the rooflight together need a Star screwdriver otherwise known as a Torx screwdriver. The one I used was a T25x100mm. Be careful not to put a lot of pressure on the rooflight when undoing the screws that hold the two windows together as the plastic rooflight is quite fragile. You need to separate the two windows to clean the rooflight completely.
Once separated I cleaned the rooflight windows in warm soapy water and reassembled in reverse order."

I think this must be an MPK Skylight?
I took mine out and apart to clean it exactly as described above and all went well. 2 points that struck me while doing it was firstly make sure you do it on a warm day so less chance of the plastics cracking (be especially careful when refitting the handles to the 2 x clear domes as the fixing holes can easily break out).
Also you have to compress one side of the spring assemblies on each side very slightly to get them back together. Go carefully and you will be fine and it looks great afterwards.
I was going to take my MPK unit out and replace with a mini Heki but after inspecting the mini Heki blinds on my fathers caravan recently i actually preferred the set up on the MPK unit (although overall i do like the quality of the Heki)
  • whitning likes this

#10 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • Interests:"Happy Camping"

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:41 pm

I think this must be an MPK Skylight?
I took mine out and apart to clean it exactly as described above and all went well. 2 points that struck me while doing it was firstly make sure you do it on a warm day so less chance of the plastics cracking (be especially careful when refitting the handles to the 2 x clear domes as the fixing holes can easily break out).
Also you have to compress one side of the spring assemblies on each side very slightly to get them back together. Go carefully and you will be fine and it looks great afterwards.
I was going to take my MPK unit out and replace with a mini Heki but after inspecting the mini Heki blinds on my fathers caravan recently i actually preferred the set up on the MPK unit (although overall i do like the quality of the Heki)

Shame you can't purchase the dome separately (400mm x 400mm)

I contacted MPK months back to inquire but never received a reply. Be careful on the type of detergent you use it can react with the dome material.  

Manual attached . .. Attached File  Fitting Instruction Model 28, 32 and 40 2011.pdf   581.16KB   22 downloads

#11 Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:06 pm

Thank you

Done mine this evening. Unscrew the 4 screws in the arms using a longish T10 driver and then seperate the 2 domes through the cutouts removing the 4 screws using another longish T25 driver. Looks like new now. I will make sure i do this once a year at least now

#12 pjapk

pjapk

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Interests:Photography & Caravanning!
  • Towcar:Discovery Sport SE Tech 180
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn III Cadiz

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:43 pm

Useful stuff, was looking at how grubby mine is the other day, will give it a spruce up myself soon.. .

#13 Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:39 pm

Ok this should be useful to others but thought I'd do a Walkthrough guide of how I dismantled my shower skylight to clean it.

Tools needed:

T10 & T25 Torx screwdriver or wrench

I didn't have any torx drivers long enough for the task so I popped to my local screwfix store and bought a long arm Torx key set for £5.99

20170412_185211.jpg

Firstly I put a small mark on the inner and outer dome with a marker pen to align both domes together and also reorientation of the skylight when it's refitted to the caravan

20170412_193653.jpg
20170412_193505.jpg

Next is to remove the whole skylight dome assembly by removing the 4 T10 Torx screws that hold the hinge arms to the surround

20170412_173002.jpg
20170412_193226.jpg

Once the 4 screws are removed the whole skylight assembly can be removed. You may need someone up a ladder outside to safely remove the dome assembly

Next is to disassemble the domes. Firstly I marked one of the hinge arms with a marker pen relative to the marks on the 2 domes. This ensures it all goes back together the same way it was disassembled.

20170412_185009.jpg

The screws in the hinge arms holds both the domes together. You need a longish T25 Torx screwdriver to remove the 4 screws. There is a locating hole at the top of the arms you go in through and by slightly squeezing the spring latches you can get access to remove the screws

20170412_183915.jpg

And that's it. It is now all disassembled ready to clean.

20170412_183446.jpg

I simply put some washing up liquid in a bowl of warm water to give them a good clean. After this it's just a case of reassembling in reverse order remembering to position the parts correctly

Edited by Scaramanga, 12 April 2017 - 10:00 pm.

• milkymarsh, VOLVOVANNER, Beebs and 3 others like this

#14 milkymarsh

milkymarsh

CT Patron

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,402 posts
  • Towcar:Seat Alhambra FR 184 DSG
  • Caravan:Bailey U3 Cartagena

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:32 pm

Nice one Paul. Another job you've given me to do, as the management has been criticising this recently.. ...

• Lozzyf likes this

#15 Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning (of course)
    Playing Guitar
    Cycling & Rugby

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:25 am

Excellent post Mr Scaramanga  

:goodpost:

• xtrailman likes this

#16 phutchison

phutchison

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento KX3
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 2011

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:47 am

Absolutely fantastic top tip. Have been looking for a way to clean ours but not been brave enough to dismantle.. ... .until now!

Thanks again, and just to say, once you get brill guidance like this, it is a doddle.

Cheers

Paul

Ok this should be useful to others but thought I'd do a Walkthrough guide of how I dismantled my shower skylight to clean it.

#17 milkymarsh

milkymarsh

CT Patron

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,402 posts
  • Towcar:Seat Alhambra FR 184 DSG
  • Caravan:Bailey U3 Cartagena

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:19 pm

Just cleaned ours today. It's come up sparkling and all in took just over 10 mins to complete. Top tip award there to scaramanga! 👍
  • phutchison likes this

#18 happynomad

happynomad

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Towcar:Freelander 2 HSE Lux
  • Caravan:S1 Valencia

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:51 pm

Great walk through Scaramanga.. . thank you. On the theme of skylights. I have spent some time cleaning the two large and the smaller kitchen outside surrounds and skylights.

Anybody have any tips for cleaning the black mesh flyscreen und these three skylights?

#19 chad

chad

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Caravan:Bailey Cartagena

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:39 am

I think tips like this really show the value of the forum.  We'll done!!

#20 Beebs

Beebs

Over 100 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Towcar:2017 Kuga AWD 180
  • Caravan:GT65 Verona

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:26 pm

Ding dong! Thanks for sharing the top tips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users