Rustlerfox

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Football sports racing

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hi I am totally confused here

Read in the inter net the a toe hitch weight can be worked out at 7% of the total laden weight of the van

Where I can not understand is on that calculation 1200kg would be 84kg on the hitch

If this is correct how can a car tow 1200kg but only have a tow hitch weight of 50kg

Help please

#2 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts
  • Interests:fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

5 to 7% is the recommended target by the CC.

But you can not exceed your cars max nose weight, or your max caravan hitch limit.(usually 100kg with a Alko)

If your cars limit is only 50kg, then that should not be exceeded.

#3 CommanderDave

CommanderDave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts
  • Interests:Model Eng, Jetski, DIY, Caravan, Traction Engines

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

The toe hitch weight or Nose weight is 5-7% the MTPLM of the caravan OR The maximum limit of the towbar or hitch on the caravan which ever is the smaller . .

The noseweight (downforce) is adjusted by loading the caravan to produce the required noseweight .

Dave

#4 Rustlerfox

Rustlerfox

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

What is MTPLM sorry to sound stupid

#5 CommanderDave

CommanderDave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

MTPLM = maximum total permissable laden mass OR it can be referred to as MAM .

It is maximum plated weight the caravan can weight . The plate is stuck on the side of the caravan normally near the entrance door .

Dave

#6 glreeves

glreeves

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

What is MTPLM sorry to sound stupid

MTPLM is the weight of the caravan, essentially as it leaves the factory, plus the maximum additional payload that the caravan can carry, e.g. gas bottles, mover, awning, pots and pans etc.

When you buy a towcar, in addition to knowing the maximum towing weight (recommended as <=85% of the MTPLM), you need to consider the maximum hitch weight that the car can legally carry, and this can sometimes be quite restrictive (50 kg in your case). When I chose my towcar (Ford Mondeo estate) the high hitch weight of 90 kg was one factor in my choice.

Good luck!

#7 Rustlerfox

Rustlerfox

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hi all thanks again on all the help is the tow hitch weight dependant on the hitch fitted ti the car or is this for the rear axle only really asking as I have a company band 2011 caddy van at the min and the plant use type hitch for either ball or pin strapped as rated 120kg and in my manual it state towing load as 1400kg but no hitch weight but payload if the back is loaded is a ton and the tow bar fitted is after market now we gave been offered skoda fabias which will pull 1200 kg and kerb weight is 1600kg and I assume the 50kg hitch weight so am wondering if the 50 is for a factory fit towbar or is it axle load

#8 JanandJay

JanandJay

Cream Cake Tester

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • Interests:DIY.
    Lager and Wine
    Motorsport
    The Caravan
  • Towcar:Nissan Pathfinder Aventura
  • Caravan:Lunar Solaris 1

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

What type of hitch has your caravan got fitted? If you have a hitch and pin towball and an Alko hitch they are not compatible..

#9 Rustlerfox

Rustlerfox

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

Just got the normal hitch on the caravan been towing ok with the caddy van I have just trying to find out a bit more about the towing hitch weights as like I said is the witch weight dependant on the type of towbar fitted or the axle weight

#10 CommanderDave

CommanderDave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

The Maximum Hitch weight can be found on the small plate attached to the towbar itself . This must not be exceeded .

As said due to the nature how a Alko ball works it does not work with all types of towball and requires a reduced neck below the ball and a extended distance from the bumper .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave, 02 March 2012 - 10:53 AM.

#11 Rustlerfox

Rustlerfox

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

So as I inderstand it the hitch weight is dependant on the hitch it's self nothing to do with the car

So I I went for the new skoda that can pull 1200 and have the same ball and pin hitch fitted with the hitch weight of over 100kg I am fine then

So as I understand it the hitch weight is dependant on the hitch it's self nothing to do with the car

So I I went for the new skoda that can pull 1200 and have the same ball and pin hitch fitted with the hitch weight of over 100kg I am fine then

#12 beejay

beejay

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,602 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

So as I inderstand it the hitch weight is dependant on the hitch it's self nothing to do with the car

So as I understand it the hitch weight is dependant on the hitch it's self nothing to do with the car

The hitch weight is the lower of the towbar and caravan hitch weights.

A Fabia will not have a hitch load of 100 kg so you will be restricted to whatever the towbar plate states.

If you are using a ball and pin hitch it will need to be Type Approved and plated for use on the Fabia to comply with the regulations. Some commercial types are not plated as commercial vehicles do not require Type Approved equipment.
If the caravan has an Alko stabiliser coupling the ball part of the hitch must not rotate freely.

#13 BrianI

BrianI

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

It has everything to do with the car. The maximum nose weight (or hitch weight as you call it) on the car is specified by the car manufacturer. I believe on the Fabia this is 50kg. There is also a maximum limit that the car can tow. Although some Fabia models are rated to tow 1200kg this would not be recommended for a caravan as this would put you well over 100% of the caravan/car kerbweight ratio.
Brian

#14 CommanderDave

CommanderDave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

I think your getting confused the nose weight is calculated from the maximum weight of the caravan not the vehicles towing limit .

As said by Brian the unladen weight of fabias can be low and could put you over 100% which would be ilegal if you only had a B licence (passing test after 97)

Dave

#15 JanandJay

JanandJay

Cream Cake Tester

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
    Lager and Wine
    Motorsport
    The Caravan

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

Best thing to do is list make model and year of caravan, then same with the car.... Maybe someone would be kind enough to do an outfit match on the CC website.... Will save a hell a lot of unnecessary posting and confusion...

#16 neil and lena

neil and lena

Five Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

Hi all thanks again on all the help is the tow hitch weight dependant on the hitch fitted ti the car or is this for the rear axle only really asking as I have a company band 2011 caddy van at the min and the plant use type hitch for either ball or pin strapped as rated 120kg and in my manual it state towing load as 1400kg but no hitch weight but payload if the back is loaded is a ton and the tow bar fitted is after market now we gave been offered skoda fabias which will pull 1200 kg and kerb weight is 1600kg and I assume the 50kg hitch weight so am wondering if the 50 is for a factory fit towbar or is it axle load

Fabia with a kerbweight of 1600kg ? I dont think so , there's no Skoda Fabia in Hatchback or Estate form that comes any where close to a 1600 kg kerbweight .
The Fabia is a small car and even the heaviest model 1.9tdi which we have as a second car only has a kerbweight of just over 1200kg with a towing capacity of 1200 kg and a noseweight limit of 50 kg so not much good for towing a caravan

#17 JanandJay

JanandJay

Cream Cake Tester

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
    Lager and Wine
    Motorsport
    The Caravan

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

Neil is right there... Have a look at this....
http://www.cuddles.a...da.htm#fabiae11

#18 onewheelonmywagon

onewheelonmywagon

Happy Larry

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

When you buy a towcar, in addition to knowing the maximum towing weight (recommended as <=85% of the MTPLM)

The recommendation is: Caravan MTPLM = 85% of towcar Kerb Weight

#19 CommanderDave

CommanderDave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Fabia with a kerbweight of 1600kg ? I dont think so , there's no Skoda Fabia in Hatchback or Estate form that comes any where close to a 1600 kg kerbweight .
The Fabia is a small car and even the heaviest model 1.9tdi which we have as a second car only has a kerbweight of just over 1200kg with a towing capacity of 1200 kg and a noseweight limit of 50 kg so not much good for towing a caravan

Thats right . If its has a 1200kg Kerbweight the unladen weight will be under 1100 kgs . Which would be illegal if you only had a B licence as it illlegal to tow a trailer which is heavier than the unladen weight of the tow vehicle .

Kerbweight = unladen weight +driver + 90%fuel .

Dave

#20 Rustlerfox

Rustlerfox

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

Hi all again many thanks for all you help yes was a bit confused but all your post have been most helpful by the sounds of it I think I will stick with my caddy van 2011 model

I have a lunar Jupiter 500 1991 so from your posts I can see that I will be ok it will tow 1400kg and the ball hitch is rated to 120kg as its a plant one and vw said when asked about the nose weight that it is not rated and I can have a nose weight up to the 120kg as stated on the hitch but not to pull over 1400kg I also passed my test in 1995

Cheers folks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users