#1 ministeve

ministeve

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:model tug building minis and my family

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

hi all to my dismay one of the side windows on my 06 490l challenger has started to delaminate and has let water in between the 2 sheets of perspex i am drying it now but what do i try glue it back togeather with (capitan tollies , plasticweld , pipe weld ,epoxy or superglue ) can anyone help please as i do not want to buy a new window if i can help it
thanks for any help

steve

#2 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • Interests:My Springers, Horses & LR Defender 90 + the C17 Boeing

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

A very worrying thing to happen and very likely to have been caused by frequency vibrations from out of balance wheels.... had you had your wheels balanced ?

Sadly there is almost nothing you can do to repair the window so I would suggest starting to look for spare parts from reputable caravan breakers.

Bonne chance

#3 jeff fae Scotland

jeff fae Scotland

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

There was a problem with caravan windows between certain dates and Swift Bailey etc reconised this.It was where the windows came from that was the problem Will see if i can find any info for you as, i recall...and i might be wrong..they were replacing them free.

#4 keithjl

keithjl

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:walking, football,fishing
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento kx2 sat nav auto 2014
  • Caravan:bailey unicorn cadiz 2014

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

hi
had the same problem with my 07 swift we used STIXALL CLEAR they sell it at jtf warehouse
screwfix or toolstatoin did the job for us very cheap
keith

#5 shipbroker

shipbroker

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

http://www.caravanta...__fromsearch__1

Try this old link for info..

geoff

Edited by shipbroker, 24 February 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#6 jeff fae Scotland

jeff fae Scotland

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hi seems there was a problem with the windows this link is for all swift owners..http://www.caravanan...problems.co.uk/

And an other report

Just finished an exhausting session, replying to nearly 3000 owners who have contacted us from the Caravan Club, this month alone….since July 2009 over 5,200 owners have registered with www.caravanandmotorhomewindowproblems.co.uk

Two major design faults are being highlighted, 1…. delamination/separation of inner and outer window layers accounting for just under 70% , affecting most manufacturers from 1997 to present.

2….. Inner and outer window layers rubbing together causing internal marking, accounting for 30% of reports affecting some manufacturers from 2004 to present

Here is a list of manufacturers affected in order of the number of responses, the first five each have reports in the high hundreds……….

Burstner
Abbey
Bailey
Lunar
Swift

Coachman
Avondale
Compass
Ace
Sprite
Vanmaster
Sterling
Geist
Eldis
Hymer
Bessacarr
Rapido
Knaus
Fleetwood

Owner responses range from:….. no Dealer interest, even after using SOGA,
dealer denial that there is a problem,
dealers gone out of business,
to no replies to correspondence from the dutch manufacturing company or their UK agents..(a number of dealers have told owners to contact Polyplastic and Miriad direct and state they have no liability)

One manufacturer Burstner, has introduced a 4 screw repair to hold their windows together, but the majority of owners are experiencing water ingress and distortion.

Again we have reports of owners on their 4th replacement due to window rubbing.

Sorry shipbroker,i was looking for info when you posted it first...

#7 ministeve

ministeve

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:model tug building minis and my family

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

so cheesed but thanks i will try bonding and will keep my eye out for a new window gutted as the window dont even have a mark on it either. thankyou all for your info this is a great forum i log on every day for my caravan education session

thanks and keep up the good work guys

steve

#8 John19

John19

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Towcar:2011 Audi A6 3.0Tdi Quattro
  • Caravan:2005 Sterling Eccles Onyx

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hi Ministeve.

Have you been in touch with Swift about your window, either direct or through their own forum. A polite request may just get you a result. You never know unless you ask.

John.

#9 shipbroker

shipbroker

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Hi Ministeve.

Have you been in touch with Swift about your window, either direct or through their own forum. A polite request may just get you a result. You never know unless you ask.

John.

You will find a very long thread on this on Swift which in turn cross refers back to the reference above!

geoff

#10 Cvan1

Cvan1

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

I use a product called tradeweld crystal. Its sold by The Glue People and is a very good product and have used it on may split windows and even some that have had some cracks in them. I would stear clear of any other product as you dont know how it will affect your windows. The product is really easy to apply simply inject the crack then clamp the window along the length of the split and let it do its magic. I would be very surprised if you get anything replaced by swift as your caravan is quite a way out of its warranty but it could be worth an ask.

http://www.thegluepe...&products_id=59

Could be worth a try just make sure the window is dry before application.

#11 Dannyp

Dannyp

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Caravan , Scuba Diving

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hi I managed to repair the frount window on my 2005 swift it had de laminated all along the bottom and up both sides half way.

I got hole of some glue that was recomended by "PARKSY" on the pratical caravan forum.

It came in a sringe and mixed in the nossle of the sringe.

I still have a link on my home computer for the glue if you want to try it.

All you did was clamp the panes together then run the glue around the join ( it was water thin and just worked its way in)

Perfect fix and lasted for a few years and could still be working now as far as i know. Dealer never noticed when i part ex the van.

Danny

#12 Raymond Matten

Raymond Matten

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Swift Caravan

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

Danny P can you give me the link for the glue you used as I have the same problem with my 2003 Challenger 550. Have contacted Swift and had no joy. Tell me to go to a dealer. Will not admit there is a fault and keep saying caravan out of warranty anyway. Don't want to buy new window as nothing actually wrong with the window - and it would cost loads to replace anyway. Thought I might try to repair as you did. Ray

#13 TD 42

TD 42

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

I have recently had my window re laminated by http://www.eeco-ltd.co.uk/ but they will not do a repair if the window is contaminated with another adhesive

I Did buy some adhesive to attempt a repair but I thought it was worth £90 to have it done professionally

Edited by TD 42, 23 June 2012 - 10:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users