• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jeffo

jeffo

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Caravan (obvious), Dogs, HTAFC & no time for owt else!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:19 AM

Lightweight Vs very heavy , new Vs old, 6 year Warranty Vs 1 year dealer warranty, British build quality Vs German build quality.... any thoughts :unsure:

#2 TD 42

TD 42

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:30 AM

Now while I would not slate ANy particular make of van I would say try finding forums for foreign vans,German in particular. you will find that although they have a possibly unproven reputation for superior build quality to us british they are not so well thought of in european circles,with Hobby being rather less desirable than would have been thought. Having said that I personally would not ever contemplate spending £15k + for any British van unless I could afford to swap it in before the warranty expired.

#3 David in Cheshire

David in Cheshire

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning in Europe, Birds, History and my website

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

I had a Hymer Nova 2002 for 6 years and spent 24 months in it over that time. Structurally it was perfect but the 3rd party fittings were no different to other vans i.e Truma fire Reich taps and pumps all gave trouble. The model was changed significantly around 2004 (I think) and there have been plenty of complaints since about structural problems. I didnt like the dealers much and changed to a Fendt after that, however there are no (Fendt) dealers in the UK now. I have just bought a Lunar and have fingers crossed about quality.
I dont supose this helps much but I would be interested see which way you go.
David

#4 fred

fred

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

I'm on my second Hymer picked it up exactly 1 year ago to the day. It's a 2007 model and if I'm honest I'm not sure it is quite as well built as the 2001 one we had previously. But even saying that it's still well built and designed. What has impressed me are the bits that you can't see. For nstance the waste water drainage all goes through traps to a single point so no christmas connector required. The drain is a ridgid pipe sloped to give a proper fall so it doesn't freeze. We do a lot of winter vanning and friends arevalways complaining about cold drafts particularly through the fridge vents, not in a Hymer. Even the Truma fire is the 5kW version I have never seen one fitted to UK van they are all 3kW, the hot air ducts in old van all were inside new van about a 3' length runs outside and is fully insulated so the hot air heats the van not the enviroment.
on the flip side with the Lunar you are going to get a nice new van and no doubt lighter, but check how much of extra weight is payload rather than the actual weight of the van.

If for the same layout if I was offered the choice of a brand new van or a 5 year old I would get the new one. If I was offered a 5 year old Hymer at a sensible price then that's exactly what I bought and pocket the difference

#5 peterjohn

peterjohn

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Digital photography, Walking.
  • Towcar:Citroen C-Crosser 2.2 Exclusive
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 470

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

Having had a selection of British caravans over 40 years and having had to deal with damp in the 2 new ones we bought within 12 months of purchase, we decided to buy a new 2006 Hymer. We have just been to the Manchester show and both said we wouldn't swop ours for any of the new ones. O.K. the fittings inside are British, but that says a lot when things do go wrong. We had the 'van serviced yesterday by a mobile engineer and when it came to the damp test, he just said " this is a waste of time getting the meter out".
My advice would be, look out for a good used Hymer although it's difficult prising then out of ownnership we know.
Hope this helps....Peter

#6 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts
  • Towcar:Mondeo mk4 Titanium 140
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 470

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

Lightweight Vs very heavy , new Vs old, 6 year Warranty Vs 1 year dealer warranty, British build quality Vs German build quality.... any thoughts :unsure:

No contest buy the Hymer.

#7 fred

fred

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

Come on is no one going to put case for a leaky Lunar rather tham a Heavy Hymer :D

#8 jeffo

jeffo

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the comments. I am worried about the "leaky" Lunar reputation otherwise it would be a no-brainer.

#9 IainM1970

IainM1970

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning
  • Towcar:VW Tiguan 177TDi R Line
  • Caravan:Swift Challenger 570 SE

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

I would choose the lunar personally. Not a fan of the styling of the Hymer. It may be well built but I'm looking for something that looks good too.

#10 R we there

R we there

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Caravans n dogs n food

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

Sooner have the heavy Hymer sat on the drive

#11 gump

gump

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Interests:beer wine beer wine

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

we all know the nick name for lunars hymer are good so go the middle adria lol.

#12 fred

fred

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

I would choose the lunar personally. Not a fan of the styling of the Hymer. It may be well built but I'm looking for something that looks good too.

Got to say my first Hymer was as ugly as sin but as pratical as hell. Second one a Nova 570 much more pretty and silver sided as well.

#13 Shirl250

Shirl250

One Hundred Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, walking, cooking, good food and wine

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:51 PM

Leaky Lunars, Soggy Swifts, Bathtub Bailey's ! Heavy Hymer ! Hmmmmm........ ! :lol:

#14 Aussienova

Aussienova

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Travel in OZ and O/S
    Caravans
    Aircraft

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:07 AM

Heavy Hymers????

Dont come Downunder then.

I have to tie down the 2007 Hymer Nova 570 with the QM2's anchor to stop it blowing away compared to our local built caravans.

The 570 (19ftr) is close to 500kg's lighter than the local product. (and that will be a twin axle too)
The Hymers 1410kg tare weight is a revelation here in Oz.

Our local vans do have a heavier load capacity (350-400kg) and are constructed differently but Ive got to say our local van builders are gradually designing chassis and bodies lighter now.

Vanning is different here in Oz with many a rough road and freecamping encounters.

Fuel is cheaper here downunder so weight wasnt generally a problem. (Diesel is A$1.50 litre = GBP1.01 Litre)
Now fuel is heading north, lighter vans are the go.

Currently 2.00pm Melbourne Orstraylya time Saturday arvo.

Sitting @ 38c today, 35c yesterday and 36c tomorrow (Sunday) so pretty warm.

The Black Saturday bushfires of 3 years ago was 45c that day. 173 people died tragically.Ref http://en.wikipedia....urday_bushfires

Our next trip will be heading north to Far North Queensland (FNQ) across to Mt Isa and then to the Northern Territory up to Darwin. Be on the road for 4 months and 15,000kms.

And NO Passport Needed!!!

Happy Hols

BlueyPosted Image

#15 fred

fred

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

The Mptlm of a 4 berth Lunar depending on exactly which model is arround about 1400-1450Kg. The MRo of a Hymer 570 is 1410Kg so the unladen weight of the Hymer is aboult the same as the laden mass of a an equilvalent Lunar. But the MPTLM of the Hymer is 1700Kg so the user payload is 290Kg which is considerably less than the 400kg of the last one we had, The payload of the 4 berth single axle Lunar's is in the range of 150-160kg.

I would struggle with a pay load of 155kg, thats before you add any extra's such as a motor mover which weighs about 30kg which has to be taken off the payload. Just weigh a bottle of wine or a can of beans, how much does a Cadac weigh? just to see how little you can carry to keep within the weight limit.

I do wonder how MPTLM is arrived at

Is it a team of highly trained and professional engineers equiped with supper computers calculating all the data to arrive at the answer

Or is it someone saying what's max towing weight of a Mondeo and we stick that on the plate?

This is not to single out Lunar btw I think most manufactures play this game

#16 jeffo

jeffo

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

After careful consideration, I've bought British.... the Lunar looks well put together when compared to other UK manufacturers. Fingers crossed it doesn't leak!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lunar, Hymer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users