95 replies to this topic

#1 PBarton

PBarton

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

Just come back from trip away at Ord House. Got stuck behind another caravan towing at 38 miles an hour on a 60 road. Tailback unbelievable. What made it even more dangerous was people overtaking us thinking we were the one holding everybody up. Anybody else had this experience.

#2 Madrunner

Madrunner

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:Running, mountain biking, motorbikes, kayaking

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

Yup many many times.

We followed an outfit coming back from Ullapool, on the straights flew up to 50/60 on the big corners down to 30.

Eventually had to get past him, he was on the phone towing !!!!!!

If people are not comfortable at that speed if safe to do so, that's tickety boo, but if queues are big following them they should pull in and let everyone past.

#3 DeadMeatUK

DeadMeatUK

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Interests:Master of the mechanical stuff

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

lots of times, usually following a small car

#4 crusader

crusader

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Interests:enjoying everyday

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

lots of times, usually following a small car

kevin , glad its not just me that gets held up behind a micra on a sunday afternoon , jim

#5 PBarton

PBarton

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Yup many many times.

We followed an outfit coming back from Ullapool, on the straights flew up to 50/60 on the big corners down to 30.

Eventually had to get past him, he was on the phone towing !!!!!!

If people are not comfortable at that speed if safe to do so, that's tickety boo, but if queues are big following them they should pull in and let everyone past.

Couldn't agree more. The driver that had overtaken us got a shock when he had seen caravan in front of us and had to pull in quickly between both caravans. Had to break very hard. Could have caused serious accident.

#6 Madrunner

Madrunner

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:Running, mountain biking, motorbikes, kayaking

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

Been stuck behind numerous dawdling motorhomes too, blissfully unaware of the growing frustration behind them causing daft overtakes !!

#7 SamP

SamP

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

Followed a solo car coming home last Sunday. Just got off the M55 heading towards Windy Harbour, the road is 40mph for a short stretch, then increases to 50mph. Perfectly good road for that speed even with the van on the back - but the car in front would not go any faster than 30. Now I was not in any rush to get home so no problem for me, but had several silly overtakes to get past the slow caravan.

#8 onewheelonmywagon

onewheelonmywagon

Happy Larry

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts
  • Towcar:Green Oval D4
  • Caravan:Fleetwood Heritage 560-4

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

I've been towing in this situation, but following a very slow horse box, no chance they will pull over and no chance of getting past. Best solution is to leave a fairly large gap and then pull in to a layby at the earliest opportunity and leave them to it.

#9 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

I had it coming home from East Coast once. There were three vans in a convoy and they were too close to each other for cars to pass safely and because the cars were underpowered for the vans they were towing they were only moving at 40 mph.

I got fed up of following in the tailback queue and pulled in for a drink at a cafe. I complained to the owner about slow caravans and he said "but you are driving one"......... Yes but my car is matched to the van unlike the convoy we just left heading for Lincoln.

Why do some travel in threes? One close behind the other and not take any notice of other drivers. This was before the 50 mph limit came in on the roads.

#10 muddywheeler

muddywheeler

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:gardening,walking,woodwork

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong {sure some one will} but I thought the highway code states you should pull over and let other vehicles pass if your a slow moving vehicle wouldn't such caravans fall in to this category .

I've being pulled over by the police when driving a tractor and that was on a b-road.

#11 henrypartridge

henrypartridge

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Pub CLs, walking my dog, real ale and CURRY
  • Caravan:Bailey Autograph 740 motorhome

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

Nine times out of ten there's a slow vehicle in front that you can't see. Poor old caravanner gets the blame.

#12 dreadly

dreadly

All the stars

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,584 posts
  • Interests:None
  • Towcar:Yes.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

Nine times out of ten there's a slow vehicle in front that you can't see. Poor old caravanner gets the blame.

Agreed, I was overtaken by a car flashing his lights, shaking his fist and beeping the horn (Caravan hater) - When he was about level with my car (I had the van on the back) he realised that there was another caravan in front of me and another ten cars and then a horsebox.
He forced me to slow down and let him in as there where vehicles coming, but of course it was my fault...
I asked him politely to pull over and discuss it, but he wouldn't?

#13 Cannondale

Cannondale

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, walking,

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

I drive the A1 from Durham to Edinburgh every week and to be honest it is not caravans that cause the problems.

Some trucks travel at 40MPH which is there max permited on the single bits, so no problem there.

The problem is cars traveling behing the trucks that have no intension of passing them but not leaving a gap for others to over take and move up the que.

Yes some times you get the odd Caravan / Motorhome traveling at 40 but if there is a decent gap in the cars behing drivers that want to overtake can.

So I blame the drivers that do not want to overtake but insist on driving very close to the vehicle in front

Richard...

#14 J0HN

J0HN

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Motor bikes, MGs

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

Anybody else had this experience.

Yes and the safest thing you can do if you don’t have enough power to safely overtake the slower towing outfit is not to add to the problem, just pull up in a layby etc for 5 mins or so, most non-towing cars will then be able to overtake the single towing vehicle safely. Other road users will then respect you more for doing the sensible thing.

I assume this was a single carriageway so towing outfits will have been limited to 50 mph top speed.

#15 PBarton

PBarton

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

Yes and the safest thing you can do if you don’t have enough power to safely overtake the slower towing outfit is not to add to the problem, just pull up in a layby etc for 5 mins or so, most non-towing cars will then be able to overtake the single towing vehicle safely. Other road users will then respect you more for doing the sensible thing.

I assume this was a single carriageway so towing outfits will have been limited to 50 mph top speed.

Yes good point but no layby in sight for miles. The road I was on there is alot of blind bends so no driver in the right mind would risk there lives and overtake us but some did.

#16 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • Interests:My Springers, Horses & LR Defender 90 + the C17 Boeing

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:51 AM

Once the caravan in front of me and myself were both pulled over by the 'blues' and one of them was just about to read me the riot act as they had wrongly assumed we were travelling in convoy.

I immediately explained that if they hadn't been following me I would have overtaken the brain dead in front of me as the one thing that I loath on any roads is people driving too slowly and inconsiderately to other road users. I also pointed out that whereas my chipped Disco had oodles of excess power for my lightweight van, that the Astra driver in front towing a heavy 6 birth was woefully mismatched and should be read the riot act.

With that I was given an apology by the nice young man as he went to help his colleague the ancient crinkly in front an ear full of advice!

Now living over here, it isn't normally Brits towing vans that cause problems as most don't drive in convoys, but what is it with the Dutch, you hardly ever see a single Dutch caravan as they normally appear to travel in 2's or 3's and almost always nose to tail !! Drives me mad................

Edited by bigjimmy, 24 February 2012 - 06:52 AM.

#17 fatstu

fatstu

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Interests:Family, Caravan, Food, Beer, And Enjoying Life !

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:03 AM

you lot got it easy....... try living in norfolk, everything travels at 15mph

#18 sureflow

sureflow

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Trail Walking.Family.Caravaning.Dog
  • Towcar:Honda CRV SE manual 2012
  • Caravan:Orion 440/4

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

I drove HGVs for 15 years and witnessed awful driving at times by impatient drivers.I now tow and try to use those skills (still learning).There are a lot of slow moving vehicles out there;so I suppose everyone needs to be alert.
Its about survival at times,and its better to pull over or ease back and let someone past.At least you arrive in one piece to enjoy your holiday.You invariably find the impatient drivers come a cropper in time.

#19 MumnTed

MumnTed

Three Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Horse racing, walking, archery, netball.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

Living here in Dumfries & Galloway is wonderful - apart from the roads!

I honestly cannot count how many times we've been towing either going away or coming home to have some smart @rse dodge out & get half way down the side of the caravan only to realise it wasn't us making him go a bit too slowly!! The facial expressions on driver's faces are sometimes very funny & scary - I only look if I'm not driving! - what I can't understand is why they feel they HAVE to continue to get past even if there is obviously not enough time or they've not enough oomph! We by the stage they are level with the car, are already reducing speed to allow the 'plonker' plenty of extra room.

I often try to express my opinion of their visionary and driving skills with a few hand skills of my own!

Strangly these numpty's are then the ones that cause even more hold ups as they've scared themselves so much passing us that they then hug the tail of the lorry/tractor/slow caravan that we've been waiting to pass safely, thereby making it almost impossible for us to make forward progress & help release the build up behind.

Grrrr - OTHER PEOPLE eh?

MumnTed

#20 Shirl250

Shirl250

One Hundred Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, walking, cooking, good food and wine

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

I've been towing in this situation, but following a very slow horse box, no chance they will pull over and no chance of getting past. Best solution is to leave a fairly large gap and then pull in to a layby at the earliest opportunity and leave them to it.

Horse Boxes !! Don't get me started !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users