• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 alhills

alhills

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

Hi, I am new to this forum and am looking for a bit of advice. I have just had the 1st service done on my 2011 Europa 550. When putting the Al-Ko lock back on the wheel after the service I notices with the Handbrake on I can still turn the wheel easily by hand, clockwise (as if reversing the van) but not counterclockwise. I would not have expected the wheel to turn either way with the brake on. Can anyone please advise, is this a fault or should it for some reason do this.

#2 FlyingTog

FlyingTog

Always Thinking...

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Photography, Caravanning, Land Rovers

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

The brakes are whats knows as "Auto Reverse" so when you are reversing your van with the car, the brakes release even though the over-run coupling is compressed.

FT

#3 Surf01

Surf01

Five Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

I have had the brakes lock on when reversing up a hill and it is a nuisance. If we apply the handbrake the wheel will not turn in any direction which is helpful if siting the caravan using levelling blocks.

#4 FlyingTog

FlyingTog

Always Thinking...

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

I have had the brakes lock on when reversing up a hill and it is a nuisance. If we apply the handbrake the wheel will not turn in any direction which is helpful if siting the caravan using levelling blocks.

If you have had the brakes come on when reversing, they might be set too tight according to al-ko

http://www.al-ko.co....is-handbook.pdf

FT

#5 alhills

alhills

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts

Hi, Thanks for reply. I can understand the need and principal of the Auto Reverse function but in my situation the car was not attached and the coupling was not compressed.

#6 Glen and Les

Glen and Les

Enjoying Early Retirement!

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,409 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Walking, Wildlife

We have found that if the handbrake is applied after we have been reversing the caravan there is small amount of movement backwards until they "lock". I think the brakes are designed this way when applied after reversing. There was a forum topic on this last year (which is where I got my info from) but I can't find it now.

Edited by Glen and Les, 05 February 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#7 FlyingTog

FlyingTog

Always Thinking...

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hi, Thanks for reply. I can understand the need and principal of the Auto Reverse function but in my situation the car was not attached and the coupling was not compressed.

Applying the handbrake is only the same as compressing the over-run mechanism. All the handbrake does is compress the over-run spring.

Have a read about it on page 4 of the link in my post above.

FT

We have found that if the handbrake is applied after we have been reversing the caravan there is small amount of movement backwards until they "lock". I think the brakes are designed this way when applied after reversing. There was a forum topic on this last year (which is where I got my info from) but I can't find it now.

If you have a look at page 4 and page 12 of the document I linked to, it explains the operation and the slight movement backwards after applying the handbrake.

FT

#8 alhills

alhills

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Mine is not a small amount of movement. The wheel will spin clockwise (as if reversing) when the brake in on, ad infinitum.

#9 John_b_45

John_b_45

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Travel, Steam, Photography.
  • Towcar:Sante Fe 2.2 CRDi Premium 7 Seat Manual 4WD
  • Caravan:Lunar Clubman Saros SB

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

Mine is not a small amount of movement. The wheel will spin clockwise (as if reversing) when the brake in on, ad infinitum.

Presume this is the near-side wheel! The off side will spin ani-clockwise if reversing - are both wheels the same?

#10 BrianI

BrianI

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

That is not correct. If you apply the handbrake after reversing the caravan, it can go another 6-8" then it should lock on.
Brian

#11 beejay

beejay

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

Applying the handbrake is only the same as compressing the over-run mechanism. All the handbrake does is compress the over-run spring.

Applying the handbrake provides the same effect as compressing the over-run drawshaft but it does not compress the over run mechanism many of which do not have a spring but use a hydraulic damper.
On some older caravans the handbrake may compress a spring on the brake rod to provide a residual storage device for the auto-reverse mechanism.

#12 beejay

beejay

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum and am looking for a bit of advice. I have just had the 1st service done on my 2011 Europa 550. When putting the Al-Ko lock back on the wheel after the service I notices with the Handbrake on I can still turn the wheel easily by hand, clockwise (as if reversing the van) but not counterclockwise. I would not have expected the wheel to turn either way with the brake on. Can anyone please advise, is this a fault or should it for some reason do this.

If the wheel is off the ground and the handbrake applied you should not be able to turn the wheel freely either way. It takes a lot of effort to rotate a braked wheel against the auto-reverse system and re-engage the brake through the storage device and not likely to be done by hand.
If it is the nearside (left hand) wheel and the auto reverse is engaged but the wheel still rotates clockwise (backwards) it seems there is a problem with the auto-reverse mechanism so needs to be returned to the dealer for inspection.

#13 TD 42

TD 42

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

the normal operation for the caravan handbrake is, When applied normally,the handbrake will not engage fully Ie.the lever will be at an angle,& forward movement of the van should be stopped If then you attempt to reverse the caravan. the brake lever should after 12" or so move to the vertical position & engage fully in both directions This is the reversing mechanism comming in to effect.

when hitched,& the brakes are applied by the over run being compressed,the van will be able to be reversed (assuming the handbrake is not on)
The above problem comes to light when pulling the van on to leveling ramps,applying the hand brake,& unhitching,only to find the van rolls of the ramp in reverse.which is why its advisable to chock the van wheels before unhitching.

HOw ever if the wheel rotates freely with the hand brake on then I suspect the brakes need adjustment

#14 FlyingTog

FlyingTog

Always Thinking...

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

Applying the handbrake provides the same effect as compressing the over-run drawshaft but it does not compress the over run mechanism many of which do not have a spring but use a hydraulic damper.
On some older caravans the handbrake may compress a spring on the brake rod to provide a residual storage device for the auto-reverse mechanism.

If you read the Al-ko document you will find it does have a spring and the handbrake does compress the spring.... page 4 section 16

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users