• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts
  • Interests:Caravans...
  • Towcar:Mazda CX-5 2.2 Fwd 150 Sport
  • Caravan:Bailey Olympus

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:33 pm

http://www.practical...#comment-831519

I wouldn't want an all electric caravan, but I can see that some might?

#2 jonbev

jonbev

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts
  • Interests:photography,planes,mx-5s,travel
  • Towcar:57 Mondeo titanium x tdci (sport pack)
  • Caravan:03 Coachman pastiche 460/2

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:04 pm

tied to an expensive hook up pitch permanently , not my idea of flexible touring but can see the benefit for some people. good to have a choice though.

Edited by jonbev, 04 February 2012 - 07:05 pm.

#3 Easy T

Easy T

Easy by Name ..........................

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,674 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:13 pm

Don't think I would mind too much as long as I had at least two gas burners on hob, gas grill and oven and a dual heat system. I am always on hookup these days anyway I would want some gas cooking and heating provision in case of a power cut either away or at home. So the only pure electric for me would be fridge and heater. Not much point then in all electric

#4 henrypartridge

henrypartridge

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Pub CLs, walking my dog, real ale and CURRY
  • Caravan:Bailey Autograph 740 motorhome

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:23 pm

Elddis did one, it didn't sell. Stupid idea.

#5 Easy T

Easy T

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,674 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:26 pm

I suppose if cheap and lightweight it might appeal to some fair weather folk .

#6 dreadly

dreadly

Supernova

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:30 pm

I suppose if cheap and lightweight it might appeal to some fair weather folk .

I think you are correct, but them types of folks generally buy cheaper older vans in my brief experience of 'vannin' dont they?

#7 jan69c

jan69c

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:44 pm

I can seem the attraction for people who only ever go to sites with a hook up, like us :) I still want gas though.

#8 dreadly

dreadly

Supernova

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:47 pm

It still has gas, but can only take a smaller bottle :------> http://www.bailey-ca...hp?recordid=259

#9 Easy T

Easy T

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,674 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:54 pm

I normally only carry one 6kg bottle anyway except for Christmas.

#10 Tet and Justin

Tet and Justin

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:caravanning, pies, photography, travel, more pies

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:29 am

Personally speaking, whilst we love our 430-4 and it’s the perfect caravan for us, I can help but think that Bailey may have got this Evo 4 idea a bit wrong.

In my mind, a potential purchaser of a fixed bed van is the type of person who wants a bit of comfort and convenience and removing the (excellent!) Whale heating, oven, grill, 12v system etc to save just 100kgs and a potential £1k I think targets a market that is tiny, if anything at all. I don’t think the idea goes quite far enough.

At present, the original 430-4 gives you most of the facilities and comforts of more expensive fixed bed vans, with a lower weight and price tag.

Maybe the designers at Bailey could re-design the 400-2 instead to come up with a lower weight, lower spec 4 berth van for people who are happy to use site facilities and don’t need full cooking facilities. Something that a couple or small family can use but that still has all the basics but at a smaller size and weight than the 430/440/450 models.

I wonder if something like this might work:

Take the shell of the Orion 400-2, which is 104cm shorter interior length than the 430-4.
Retain all 240v, 12v and gas services, as well as the Whale underfloor dual fuel heating or instead a Truma Combi system.
L-shaped lounge at the front that converts to a double bed, or the shorter parallel bunks from the 430-4.
Over-axle gas bottle locker for 1 cylinder - either 4.5 or 6kg.
Compact kitchen on the nearside with just a small 2burner gas hob, sink and 3-way fridge. No oven or grill. Dealer-fit option of a combi microwave.
Narrow dresser (enough space for a TV) and full height wardrobe on the offside, opposite kitchen.
In the nearside rear corner behind the entrance door, a small corner washroom with just a basic Thetford 200 loo and washbasin (or a compact wetroom).
In the offside rear a compact dinette for 2 that converts into a single bunk if needed, with storage under both seats and a fold away bunk above it.
Single carpet runner instead of drop in carpets.

Elddis have done it with their Xplore 304, which is about 40cm shorter inside. If it could be done, you’d then have a very compact 4 berth van that has all the basic necessities and (I guess, I’m no engineer!) an MTPLM of somewhere around 950-1000kgs.

Edited by Tet and Justin, 05 February 2012 - 09:47 am.

#11 bigbilly

bigbilly

Over 1000 posts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Photography, Motor Sports, Caravanning

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:55 am

Baileys do seem to be spending a lot of time, and presumably money, on addressing specific and niche sectors of the caravanning market. This must be good for the industry, and the buying public, which tends to move so slowly and I can only wish them the best of luck for braving it. I'm sure some of the ideas will fall by the wayside.

Well done for this entrepreneurial approach.

Bill

#12 Easy T

Easy T

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,674 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:02 am

With lots of driveways being tight and cars needing to go in before a car I would have thought that there are any who need a motormover and therefore battery. My previous van had a body length of 14'6'' excluding drawbar. I could drive the car and van in up to the garage door. Unhitch the van and push it past the car and onto a flagged area beside the garage. There was just enough room when leaving to push the caravan to the front of the garage and spin it round to face out. Then hitch up and drive away.

With my present one being 3 foot longer and having a narrow road in front and a car with a greater turning circle I doubt I could drive in and out. When I first got latest van nearly 7 years ago I didn't have a motormover. After trying to push the van onto the road outside (slightly uphill) onto a road that has a slope as well OH and I said 'MOTORMOVER'

#13 Seaman

Seaman

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Towcar:2016 Kia Sorento KX-4 Automatic
  • Caravan:2017 Lunar Clubman SB

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:13 am

I think Alu-tech lends itself to numerous slot-in layouts and ideas. If the Evo-4 results in failure for Bailey, then the tooling can easily be changed to the next brainwave. Bailey have certainly shook up the industry with their construction method.

#14 Surf01

Surf01

Over 1000 posts

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:17 am

I would prefer the backup of gas in case of electric failure. Even at home where we are on electric only, we have a gas light, gas heater and a small camping gas cooker as a back up.

#15 Tet and Justin

Tet and Justin

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:caravanning, pies, photography, travel, more pies

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:43 am

I think Alu-tech lends itself to numerous slot-in layouts and ideas. If the Evo-4 results in failure for Bailey, then the tooling can easily be changed to the next brainwave. Bailey have certainly shook up the industry with their construction method.

Agreed. Also, due to the inherent strength of the Alu-tech frame I wouldn't be surprised if Bailey designed a future model with a drop-down double bed over the lounge area. Burstner have such a system in their Averso caravan range but it involves (so I'm told) strengthening within the wall - which I guess the Alu-tech wouldn't need.

#16 Guest_jks_*

Guest_jks_*

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:46 am

I would imagine the Evo-4 is intended for people who use seasonal pitches and rarely tow their caravan. You only have to look at some sites to see there are more and more people leaving their vans in one position all year so have no need for 12volt power.

#17 Easy T

Easy T

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,674 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:49 am

I would prefer the backup of gas in case of electric failure. Even at home where we are on electric only, we have a gas light, gas heater and a small camping gas cooker as a back up.

We have a caravan alongside the house. ;)

#18 Surf01

Surf01

Over 1000 posts

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:14 pm

I would imagine the Evo-4 is intended for people who use seasonal pitches and rarely tow their caravan. You only have to look at some sites to see there are more and more people leaving their vans in one position all year so have no need for 12volt power.

Not sure how they can call it an Evo indicating it is more environmentally friendly as electric hobs take longer to heat up than gas hobs and are heavier. I would think the opposite to being environmentally friendly if it is an electric only caravan as more fule needs to be generated by power stations. How would a motor mover work? Also non EHU CL and Cs owners must be ecstatic about losing possible customer. LOL!

#19 Guest_jks_*

Guest_jks_*

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:27 pm

How would a motor mover work?

You wouldn't need one if you are on a seasonal pitch. Think you are missing the point here.

#20 dreadly

dreadly

Supernova

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:29 pm

Not sure how they can call it an Evo indicating it is more environmentally friendly as electric hobs take longer to heat up than gas hobs and are heavier. I would think the opposite to being environmentally friendly if it is an electric only caravan as more fule needs to be generated by power stations. How would a motor mover work? Also non EHU CL and Cs owners must be ecstatic about losing possible customer. LOL!

I think fitting a mover would be possible, you would just need 12v power? - Maybe some small jump leads to connect one up when you got home, or a smaller sealed battery inside the bottom of a cupboard such as this? ---> http://www.tayna.co....S-4.2-P439.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users