21 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Dobbie

Brian Dobbie

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

During the first service dampness was found under the kitchen area window. The window is nearside at the middle on the ES model.
This has been traced to water ingress under the window bar as there appeared not to be enough sealant between the bar and the van side. Water was able to enter and pass the window bar securing screws.
If you get a ladder and look down at the window bar then this is visable.It would seem that the van left the factory in this condition.
Maybe Lunar Owners might want to check their vans.
Brian

#2 sirjohnfaulkner

sirjohnfaulkner

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

Lunar Dampness At 1St Service

According to Brian Cox of "stargazing" fame NASA are sending a probe to the moon to look for subsurface water.

They could have saved their time and money and consulted Brian although dampness may not constitute useable quantities of water.

Couldnt resist the last sorry about your damp Brian, hopefully you caught it early enough to avoid damage

#3 lunarloopy

lunarloopy

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Interests:EVERTON FC, CARAVANNING,WALKING
  • Towcar:SKODA SUPERB ELITE ESTATE 2.0tdi
  • Caravan:Lunar Clubman 530/4

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

We had damp report on our Clubman 530/4 in 2010 service. It was in the rear bathroom under neath the seam between rear panel and roof. It was reported at 17% don't know what that is measured against, but the workshop guy said that anythinh up to 34% was acceptable. Anyway we got it sorted and last service reported clear.
Hope you get yours fixed satisfactory.

#4 Jocky

Jocky

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, 4X4's fishing and football

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:41 AM

Sorry to hear you've got the dreaded damp problem and it get sorted.

My Delta is due its 1st service in March and I'll be asking for an extensive damp check, hope its the same result as my last 2 Pageants.

Damp must be every caravan owners biggest worry :o

#5 Brian Dobbie

Brian Dobbie

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

The Dealer submitted a warranty claim immediately but it could take six weeks for parts to arrive from Lunar.
So given that the dealer then has to book a slot in their workshops, the best estimate is two months for a repair to be completed.
The van can still be used but it is very disappointing that this happened.
I did e-mail Lunar and ask if there was any possibility of speeding up the parts delivery, waiting for a reply at the moment.
Brian

#6 DeeTee

DeeTee

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,280 posts
  • Interests:Photography,

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

Whilst it is disappointing for damp to be found in a one year old caravan you have not been denied the use of the caravan pending repairs.

I bought a pre-owned caravan of a different manufacture a couple of years ago and 50% damp was found at the rear of the caravan at first service in my ownership. A new rear panel and associated fittings were required to repair under the manufacturer's transferred warranty so the dealer said that we could use the caravan until they were able to carry out repairs. The caravan was used without any problem until shortly before the next annual service when it was repaired at my convenience.

My approach was ask the dealer when they were likely to have slack time in their workshops after the panels had been delivered and see how it fitted in with my caravan and other holiday plans. No caravan outings were missed as I arranged for the repairs and service to be carried out whilst I was at a wedding Sweden.

#7 Brian Dobbie

Brian Dobbie

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

Whilst it is disappointing for damp to be found in a one year old caravan you have not been denied the use of the caravan pending repairs.

I bought a pre-owned caravan of a different manufacture a couple of years ago and 50% damp was found at the rear of the caravan at first service in my ownership. A new rear panel and associated fittings were required to repair under the manufacturer's transferred warranty so the dealer said that we could use the caravan until they were able to carry out repairs. The caravan was used without any problem until shortly before the next annual service when it was repaired at my convenience.

My approach was ask the dealer when they were likely to have slack time in their workshops after the panels had been delivered and see how it fitted in with my caravan and other holiday plans. No caravan outings were missed as I arranged for the repairs and service to be carried out whilst I was at a wedding Sweden.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I will wait and see when the delivery of spare parts takes place and then, as you suggest, arrange a time to suit me.
There won't be anymore water entering as it is now sealed on the outside.
Brian

#8 kiaboy

kiaboy

Enjoying life in the slower "retired" lane

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

Every van we have bought new leaked within 1st year, different makes so not down to one manufacturer, It has not stopped me buying, so I don't get too worried now, annoying yes!!!!

Hope you get a satisfactory result.

Don't forget, once you have had damp, the manufacturer will know and should stay on their records, not just the dealers, so you should not have problems later if it appears elsewhere, (exact statement from my present van manufacturer)

#9 Alan Stanley

Alan Stanley

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • Interests:LIVE LIFE AND PROSPER. Churchill, Woodwork, Vanning
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento Kx2
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn Valencia 2

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

We had damp report on our Clubman 530/4 in 2010 service. It was in the rear bathroom under neath the seam between rear panel and roof. It was reported at 17% don't know what that is measured against, but the workshop guy said that anythinh up to 34% was acceptable. Anyway we got it sorted and last service reported clear.
Hope you get yours fixed satisfactory.

I hope you miss heard him at 34 % Facts are :-
The soft woods used in the vans need 20% readings or above to Rot. Some may not start until 25% but why risk it

Actually it does not rot it is eaten by various forms of fungus.

These all require a certain amount of moisture to live and grow. Typically at a starting point above 20% they will start to become viable and get on with dinner. The wetter the wood the faster they grow and eat, provided you also have oxygen present. Which in the caravan wall you most certainly have. So you were safe at 17% but if that area shows an elevated reading compared to others then it may be a pointer to a developing problem.

Over the years I have had all sorts of figures quoted at me, very few were even near correct.

Edited by Alan Stanley, 28 January 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#10 matelodave

matelodave

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, walking, caravanning, reading & drinking beer

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

If the same meter is used all over the van then all the readings should be the same within a couple of percent if there is an area that has a higher reading to the rest of the van, then you've either got a problem or one is developing. Anything over 15-20% needs looking at,over 25% needs attention. 50%, then get the wellies out.

#11 kpnuts

kpnuts

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

I have a Lunar Clubman ES which is now just over two years old. At last service, water ingress was detected in front windows due to window seals not being fitted correctly. Can't believe the amount of water coming in. It is coarsing itself under the window shelf and dripping into the front locker.

Now in for repair under warranty - they had better make a good job.

Not happy......

#12 Brian Dobbie

Brian Dobbie

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

I have a Lunar Clubman ES which is now just over two years old. At last service, water ingress was detected in front windows due to window seals not being fitted correctly. Can't believe the amount of water coming in. It is coarsing itself under the window shelf and dripping into the front locker.

Now in for repair under warranty - they had better make a good job.

Not happy......

My van wasn't as bad as yours and the rest of the van was dry.
There was no distortion of the outer skin and it is a relatively small area however the reading was 100%.
The fridge,oven,sink etc will all have to be removed to replace the side wall and insulation etc.

Were your seals badly fitted in the factory?
Why wasn't this picked up at the first service?
Trust you get a first class repair.
Brian

#13 driver298

driver298

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:caravaning,football,snooker and pool

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:27 AM

hi, I bought a brand new lunar 556 in september 2011.After only 2 weeks water was leaking in at the bottom of the rear window!! I was told that there was very little sealant across the top window bar. problem was fixed in a week. i was shocked to find a brand new van could leave the factory with this fault. on reading your post it seems you had the same promblem as me.

#14 kpnuts

kpnuts

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

My van wasn't as bad as yours and the rest of the van was dry.
There was no distortion of the outer skin and it is a relatively small area however the reading was 100%.
The fridge,oven,sink etc will all have to be removed to replace the side wall and insulation etc.

Were your seals badly fitted in the factory?
Why wasn't this picked up at the first service?
Trust you get a first class repair.
Brian

My dealer states that the windows were not properly fitted at build. There wasn't a problem on the 1st service but the 2nd service discovered 38% - 45% dampness which has got progressively worse over the winter. I think the sealant across the top of the three front windows has degengerated. I am sure the repair will be reliable but it does make you lose confidence in a product. I am horrified to see that others are having the same problem on new vans. I trust Lunar and others look at these forums to see how disgruntled their customers are.

I will post back on this over the coming months to report on how things are going.

Edited by kpnuts, 30 January 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#15 kpnuts

kpnuts

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

Back quicker than expected........ just taken a call from the Caravan repairer.... all windows have to come out, the complete front panel will need to be replaced along with associated cross members etc. Only when they have the front panel removed will they be able to assess whether water has ingressed into the edges of the side panels. They now have to wait for parts to come from Lunar that can take several weeks, also the rebuild time is 40 hours labour.

What on earth would this have cost without the manufacturers warranty??? I know that caravans are pretty flimsey articles but there is no justification for such an extensive repair after only 2 years on the road. If I had to pay for this out of my own pocket, the van would only be worth scrap value as there is no way I could afford that. I have seen some very old vans on the road that appear to have a better build quality.

Really, really not happy as I doubt I will be back on the road now until May/June at the earliest.

#16 Brian Dobbie

Brian Dobbie

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

Back quicker than expected........ just taken a call from the Caravan repairer.... all windows have to come out, the complete front panel will need to be replaced along with associated cross members etc. Only when they have the front panel removed will they be able to assess whether water has ingressed into the edges of the side panels. They now have to wait for parts to come from Lunar that can take several weeks, also the rebuild time is 40 hours labour.

What on earth would this have cost without the manufacturers warranty??? I know that caravans are pretty flimsey articles but there is no justification for such an extensive repair after only 2 years on the road. If I had to pay for this out of my own pocket, the van would only be worth scrap value as there is no way I could afford that. I have seen some very old vans on the road that appear to have a better build quality.

Really, really not happy as I doubt I will be back on the road now until May/June at the earliest.

Dreadful situation.
Trust the repairs will be satisfactory when completed.
The Dealer seems to be able to fix it once they have the parts.
Best of luck.
Brian

#17 Surf01

Surf01

Five Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

Dreadful situation.
Trust the repairs will be satisfactory when completed.
The Dealer seems to be able to fix it once they have the parts.
Best of luck.
Brian

Sorry to hear about problem with your new Lunar. Hope it gets resolved soon. Guess we will need to check ours soon although we only had it about 3 months. We don't know how long it has been standing outside prior to delivery.

#18 andrew5331

andrew5331

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:wife,kids and a wee bit of golf lol

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:28 AM

hi, I bought a brand new lunar 556 in september 2011.After only 2 weeks water was leaking in at the bottom of the rear window!! I was told that there was very little sealant across the top window bar. problem was fixed in a week. i was shocked to find a brand new van could leave the factory with this fault. on reading your post it seems you had the same promblem as me.

Like your self we bought a new 2011 luner 546 picked it up April of last year and had a whole heep of water trouble the van was back in getting middle bunk window re sealed as water was coming in then when we were away over Christmas period we noticed the van was wet at the rear put the moisture meter on it and we had readings of 30% took it back to dealer beginning of jan they are taking awning rails of on both sides they are also fixing another rear window they said is not sealed right we are still waiting on van to be fixed but with all the trouble we have had with luner we have opted for a trade in with another dealer and went for a new bailey 620/6
Hope we have more luck than last year

#19 Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, Astro-photography

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

I have to say that these experiences scare the heck out of me with a new Lunar arriving next weekend. Apart from our home, this is the most significant expenditure I have ever made and it should be a time of pleasure and excitement. In fairness, it is a time of pleasure and excitement, hence my presence here on the forum even though I have been caravanning as an adult for 42 years and before that from the age of 5 but I do wonder how the same fault can keep on occurring during manufacture, especially on such a touchy subject as dampness - every caravanner's worst nightmare!

I know this problem is not limited to Lunar and I don't for one moment think that Lunar are any worse than any other company but one does have to wonder why they can't sort this out more easily when it is such a known and feared problem.

Don't let me down on Saturday, Lunar ........

#20 vectra

vectra

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

I have to say that these experiences scare the heck out of me with a new Lunar arriving next weekend. Apart from our home, this is the most significant expenditure I have ever made and it should be a time of pleasure and excitement. In fairness, it is a time of pleasure and excitement, hence my presence here on the forum even though I have been caravanning as an adult for 42 years and before that from the age of 5 but I do wonder how the same fault can keep on occurring during manufacture, especially on such a touchy subject as dampness - every caravanner's worst nightmare!

I know this problem is not limited to Lunar and I don't for one moment think that Lunar are any worse than any other company but one does have to wonder why they can't sort this out more easily when it is such a known and feared problem.

Don't let me down on Saturday, Lunar ........

Absolutely correct. This type of poor performance cannot be defended. The cause? Probably a combination of poor design, bad workmanship, poor supervision, poor or no quality assurance processes, poor final inspection and finally however most importantly dreadful management which after all is behind all the aforementioned causes.

The cure? Some caravan manufacturers don't even know what quality assurance is never mind how to implement it. It takes committment, money and time. Rather than do anything, they keep with the same time honoured and failing techniques.

The consequences are the damp issues that you and I experience. My own experience is two damp repairs in 3 years on a new van
and both arising from poor application of sealant. Every time we buy a new van from certain manufacturers we take this gamble. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. It seems that some manufacturers are content that it stays this way.

We can only accept that the damp repairs are part of the price we pay for our caravans or rather the price of failure.
Regards
Vectra

Edited by vectra, 15 April 2012 - 08:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users