31 replies to this topic

#1 CommanderDave

CommanderDave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts
  • Interests:Model Eng, Jetski, DIY, Caravan, Traction Engines

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

Just wondered how many model engineers are members of the forum ? I myself have been model engineering for over 40 yrs and have built a number of models over the years from model steam locos (3.5 inch and 5 inch g ) and Steam traction engines upto half full size .

I am just completing a half full size miniture Garrett 4 CD Showmans engine which has taken just under 5 yrs (1.5 tons) .

I also have friends with full size rollers and traction engines that i take a interest in .

Dave

#2 dreadly

dreadly

All the stars

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,799 posts
  • Interests:None
  • Towcar:Yes.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Sounds fantastic but expensive, with three kids I have to have fairly cheap hobbies.

#3 Guest_Inner State_*

Guest_Inner State_*

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

Model aviation is my interest and now making a business of it armed with a laser cutter, on the business front we also manufacture items for model railways.

J

#4 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,129 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

I am just completing a half full size miniture Garrett 4 CD Showmans engine which has taken just under 5 yrs (1.5 tons) .
Dave

That would make a good subject to post in the Photo Gallery Dave.

#5 sugarpasty

sugarpasty

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Cornish history,model engineering,clock making, music.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hi Dave,

I run a 5" gauge 'Speedy' 060 I built in 1986 and a 5" 'King Class' ( 13 years to build) at my local club at Perranporth. I have almost completed the Jubilee Clock by Westbury, just finished the longcase. What a mess it made of my workshop

#6 CommanderDave

CommanderDave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

Hi Dave,

I run a 5" gauge 'Speedy' 060 I built in 1986 and a 5" 'King Class' ( 13 years to build) at my local club at Perranporth. I have almost completed the Jubilee Clock by Westbury, just finished the longcase. What a mess it made of my workshop

You must be a Gods Wonderful Railway fan ? :lol: In the Mid 60s as a lad i used to spend many evenings at Old Oak Common sheds and the drivers used to stop and let me drive the engines down the approach tracks and into the sheds . I drove a couple of Kings and Panniers,Castles and 9Fs ( inc Evening Star ) . :) Great fun !!!

Dave

#7 david 1220

david 1220

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • Interests:If Cliff Richards can convert one----------

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

Sounds fantastic but expensive, with three kids I have to have fairly cheap hobbies.

Sir,- three kids are not a cheap hobby !
david 1220

#8 dreadly

dreadly

All the stars

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,799 posts
  • Interests:None
  • Towcar:Yes.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:34 PM

Sir,- three kids are not a cheap hobby !
david 1220

NO, they are not :( Good fun though :rolleyes:

#9 david 1220

david 1220

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • Interests:If Cliff Richards can convert one----------

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

Hi Dave,
Have a 71/4" Marie Estele( think cowboys & Indians type loco ) but my main interest is hot air engines though i have a strong interest in marine steam, model boats, ( electric ) model aircraft, and doing things to certain types of metal. Started making model boats when my dad went to sea ( ships "chippy " ) leaving his surplus tools behind, sharp they where when he left --blunt when he returned ! model ships were made with 6" nails for masts& derricks with the result that they turned over-- in the bath ! Spent this afternoon lapping a piston for my Rider hot air engine.
david 1220

#10 CommanderDave

CommanderDave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

Hi Dave,
Have a 71/4" Marie Estele( think cowboys & Indians type loco ) but my main interest is hot air engines though i have a strong interest in marine steam, model boats, ( electric ) model aircraft, and doing things to certain types of metal. Started making model boats when my dad went to sea ( ships "chippy " ) leaving his surplus tools behind, sharp they where when he left --blunt when he returned ! model ships were made with 6" nails for masts& derricks with the result that they turned over-- in the bath ! Spent this afternoon lapping a piston for my Rider hot air engine.
david 1220

I used to build Model Boats with my father when I was younger (12-14) from Kit form the largest was a Sea Queen . It was fitted with a old 12v Small car battery and a new Taycol Supermarine engine that cost me £5 from my pocket money and 6 channel RC. This was in the mid 60s . :) It was so heavy it took two people to carry it . I had it althrough my teens and over the years it had different interior lighting added controlled by the RC . I remember one dat it went out of range and a canoeist offered to go and get it and he was trying to turn it while it was dragging him along with little effect . :lol: .

like this . http://www.jotika-lt...rokit_Front.htm

Dave

#11 DeadMeatUK

DeadMeatUK

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Interests:Master of the mechanical stuff

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

My hobby is not quite as spectacular but I have built a number of crawler (rock climbers) 1/10 and 1/12 scale I get the enjoyment from bettering an off the shelf kit. Once built one from scratch using the running-gear from a vintage Tamya Toyota Hilux kit which sell for £2000-£4000 (It was for a friend, not mine)

I fitted the same motors I use in my current crawler in my sons ride on car and it was Vfast...

and here is an early version of my truck... It is a lot different now.

Edited by DeadMeatUK, 23 February 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#12 olblueeyes

olblueeyes

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:caravanning and radio controlled planes and hellis
  • Towcar:hyundia tucson 138bhp
  • Caravan:bailey pegasus

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

hy all im into rc models i now have 2x 450 size helicopters, 1 small heli for indoors and 3 planes, allways have one of the hellis with me when we are away can usually find somewhere to play with it nearby, great fun, martin

#13 CommanderDave

CommanderDave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

DeadbeatUK

I had a Clodbuster a few years ago . :)

Olbueeyes

I used to have a mate that was into fuelled helicopters as his friend was a model helipcopter champion and used to come when he flew his and fly the helicopters upside down playing about cant remember his name now but he had a model helicopter shop in west london (Wembley) about 20 yrs ago. I always thought it was very expensive to crash a £2000 kit into the ground .
I was never into aircraft that much but a friend used to build large R/C models built a Lancaster with a 22ft wingspan .

Sugarpasty

i have built a few loco engines starting with a 3.5 in Robroy, 5in LNER B1 , 5in Conway (which was featured in ME as rescaled from 3.5in and spotted by Martin Evans on show at London ME ) .

i was a member here for 30+yrs .

http://www.northolt-mrc.org.uk/

Dave

#14 TonyK

TonyK

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Interests:My wife, Walking, relaxing, Model Railways, Beer & Wine

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

Whilst not really 'model engineering', I build 7mm/ft scale model trains. Just sold a set of 'O' gauge coaches that I built whilst caravanning in France over the past 6 years. Main interest is LNER but getting into both American Narrow Gauge and also BR Stem/Deisel period stuff!

#15 BryanS

BryanS

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

I'm another model aircraft flyer. Nothing exceptional, just models that give the mind a bit of exercise or give the satisfaction of making something that works. In fact, if I've figured it correctly, I've built one of Inner State's kits - and very nice it was too!

By the way, a quarter-scale Cub fits nicely under the bed in a Bailey Burgundy. With wings detached of course.

Bry

Edited by BryanS, 16 March 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#16 CommanderDave

CommanderDave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

Whilst not really 'model engineering', I build 7mm/ft scale model trains. Just sold a set of 'O' gauge coaches that I built whilst caravanning in France over the past 6 years. Main interest is LNER but getting into both American Narrow Gauge and also BR Stem/Deisel period stuff!

I had a large LNER outfit 12ft x 8ft (3 x 8tf x 4ft sheets ) of OO with a large amount of rolling stock and about 10 engines .

Then I got married and it now sits in boxes in the loft . :lol:

My old club had large layouts of 0 gauge .
http://www.northolt-mrc.org.uk/

Dave

#17 bordeauxderek

bordeauxderek

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, RC Model Aircraft BOATING !

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Been a model aviation fan for years now, have about 20 aeroplanes (mostly leccy powered) ready to go, although the funny thing is,now I'm retired , i don't do so much as I did !

Attached Files

Edited by bordeauxderek, 18 March 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#18 clairendave

clairendave

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, my family
    Caravaning.
    Even my job

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:43 PM

There is a model aero club that flys at the disused raf base next to where our van is seasonal. My brother in law flys there he also works in the shop my father in law owns. Would love to try flying but for now have quite a collection of nitro 1/8th buggys. Even tho the 7 yo daughter seems more talented wih them than myself which is rather annoying.

#19 Guest_Inner State_*

Guest_Inner State_*

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:43 AM

There is a model aero club that flys at the disused raf base next to where our van is seasonal. My brother in law flys there he also works in the shop my father in law owns. Would love to try flying but for now have quite a collection of nitro 1/8th buggys. Even tho the 7 yo daughter seems more talented wih them than myself which is rather annoying.

If you want to have a go at RC flying give me a yell, I can arrange it for you!

J

#20 Georgiegal

Georgiegal

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

I'm another model aircraft flyer. Nothing exceptional, just models that give the mind a bit of exercise or give the satisfaction of making something that works. In fact, if I've figured it correctly, I've built one of Inner State's kits - and very nice it was too!

By the way, a quarter-scale Cub fits nicely under the bed in a Bailey Burgundy. With wings detached of course.

Bry

Would that be the pops that you have built.. based on the posie?? .. If so... how did you find it to build?

If you want to have a go at RC flying give me a yell, I can arrange it for you!

J

Or me... i fly in wind he dont dare to!! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users