#1 matelodave

matelodave

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, walking, caravanning, reading & drinking beer

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

I've got a Bailey Unicorn (I don't think the make of van is relevant) fitted with a Tracker Monitor and PIR intruder alarm. Does anyone know if moving the van causes the alarm to sound as well as alerting Tracker?. The reason for this question is that during the very high winds that we've just had the alarm in the van has sounded (twice) but I haven't heard from Tracker. The tracker instructions aren't everso clear (in fact they are rubbish) on whether the alarm just sounds when there is an intruder or if it does when the van is moved as well. It's also not everso clear how much movement is required before tracker will respond, does the van have to be rattling down the road for a couple of miles before they realise something is amiss of will a decent amount of shaking (such as we've just had with 60mph winds) do it. I can understand that just winding up the jockey wheel may not set it off but lifting it onto a trailer aught to. I would have thought that the buffeting that it just got would have been equivalent to lifting the van. We didn't let the alarm sound too long but it was certainly three or four minutes before it was disabled

I have thought that the next time I take the van out that I'll leave the thing armed, just to see what happens and when

Edited by matelodave, 06 January 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#2 Terrytraveller

Terrytraveller

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

Hi Dave - Maxiboy wrote in 2008 the following which I think explains all - Regards Terry

Today I have spoken to a very knowledgeable technical guy from Tracker called Alex. Having spoken at length he has confirmed the following to clear up the confusion that seems to be present especially regarding the back up battery.

- THIS APPLIES TO ALL FACTORY FITTED TRACKERS TO THE BAILEY SENATOR RANGE - Sept 2007 onwards - (series 6).

- 2 parts to the system - The 'tracker monitor' made by Tracker and the 'alarm system' made by an unspecified manufacturer. They are both linked up together and work from the remote key fob.

TRACKER MONITOR:
- As soon as Bailey have completed the build of the caravan and it roles of their production line the Tracker goes live within 8 hrs of manufacturer and links up to their system. It then goes into a dormant state consuming 1 milli amp of power from it's own back up power as all new vans have no Leisure batteries fitted. So technically it consumes power the minute it's born but at a very low amp as it is in hibernation mode.

- The Tracker unit itself actually has 2 backup batteries - yes 2. The 1st is the normal small 3 day reserve fitted which is NOT rechargeable. Because of the variable state of leisure batteries within caravans they have fitted an additional 7 amp RECHARGABLE BATTERY which Alex says will last about 1 month from a full charge if leisure battery it cut. (Earlier TRACKERS pre bailey fit did not have this 2nd reserve battery).

So.. Tracker feeds from the leisure battery, if this is removed or fails it will feed from the 2nd 7 amp reserve one. When this is then exhausted it then feeds from the 1st small one. Then it's dead. But if connected back up to the leisure battery the 2nd 7 amp will recharge and Tracker will become active. Alex said that although the 1st one is non rechargeable and therefore dead the Tracker will work as normal although it will not have the extra 3 days back up when the 2nd 7 amp fails.....clear as mud !!

ALEX HAS STATED THAT THEY CAN ON REQUEST DIAL INTO TO YOUR Tracker AND FIND THE BATTERY LIFE LEFT ON THE 1ST SMALL BACK UP......if you want to check it following an alert.....nice to know !! Posted Image

- Tracker has a shock sensor built in to it to monitor movement. This will detect shocks to the chassis, road vibration, sudden movements of the van etc.

- If Tracker has a change of state ie has an alert signal from the shock sensor it alerts Tracker HQ and sends out a VHF signal which can be picked up by a traffic police car with a monitor. think of it as a homing beacon. This has a range depending upon terrain 5 to 25 miles? - Remember no GPS functionality.

ALARM:- Later models had a PIR fitted. Alarm feeds from the leisure battery and then the 2nd 7 amp only. Has an audible alarm which will sound for 5 minutes and then silence itself .

WORKINGS:
Alarm is set with key fob. Takes 3 mins before system goes live. PIR sets and Tracker goes into monitor mode from hibernation mode.

If alarm is activated ie pir senses movement , the alarm will sound but Tracker will remain in monitor mode as it is not activated by the alarm/PIR.

If alarm not reset and the caravan is then moved the Tracker shock sensor may then be activated if it picks up the required shocks. This cycles even 1 minute and if after 3 minutes and the movement of the van is alerting the shock sensor enough it will trigger the Tracker to go into alert status and send the signals to HQ. If the alarm is reset (which also resets tracker) within 3 minutes of alert signalling then Tracker HQ takes no action. If nearer 5 mins then Tracker HQ will proceed to contact owner to confirm movement and if that fails then the alert status to the police goes live. (even if you reset the alarm/tracker after this period).

REMEMBER - AFTER 3 MINS Tracker GOES INTO ALERT STATUS AND AFTER 5 MINS Tracker HQ GOES INTO ALERT CONTACT ETC.
IF YOU RESET ALARM/tracker AFTER 5 MINS EVEN THOUGH THE ALARM/tracker ON THE VAN IS RESET , Tracker HQ WILL TRY TO CONTACT YOU AND WILL SEND A POLICE ALERT UNTIL CONTACT HAS BEEN MADE OR THE POLICE FIND YOU / THEIF !!!!!!!! Posted Image

GOLDEN RULE I SUPPOSE IS ALWAYS HAVE A LEISURE BATTERY CONNECTED - ALEX SUGGESTED AN OLD CAR BATTERY WOULD BE MORE THAN SUITABLE IF YOU WANTED TO REMOVE / MAINTAIN THE VANS LEISURE BATTERY IF NOT WINTER CARAVANNING.
Posted Image

I think that's everything....if you still have a query then give me a shout or contact Alex on 0500 090 909 .

Sorry it's gone on a bit but hope you find it useful. Posted Image

Maxii

Edited by maxiboy, 21 February 2008 - 12:31 PM.

#3 matelodave

matelodave

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Terry, Looks as though I disarmed it before Tracker HQ responded (didn't think I'd been that quick). It's still not clear if the alarm sounds when the Tracker unit detects movement rather than the PIR unit. I feel an E-Mail to Bailey coming on :)

#4 Glen and Les

Glen and Les

Enjoying Early Retirement!

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Walking, Wildlife

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

I don't think the alarm sounds when "movement" is detected, as it would alert thieves that a Tracker is fitted. When we had our first outing in our Pegasus last February we weren't sure our Tracker was working correctly because the "beeps" weren't happening when we pressed the key fob but, after about 10mins on the road, Tracker Control Centre contacted us - they had rung all of the contact numbers we had provided - so we know they do contact you in the event of an alert. We had a faulty unit which they duly replaced the following week and it's been fine ever since.

#5 matelodave

matelodave

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

so it looks like a decent once round the block to confirm it works OK as there's no other way of checking it

#6 Glen and Les

Glen and Les

Enjoying Early Retirement!

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Walking, Wildlife

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

Probably need to go further than round the block - we'd done about 6/8 miles. They did get us on our third contact number, so they had tried ringing sooner - maybe 3/4 miles would be enough. be prepared for a recorded message when you get the call, it's not a person and you do have to ring back - well we did anyway!

Good luck!

#7 Grandpa Steve

Grandpa Steve

SteveB

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,571 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning of course
  • Towcar:Lexus RX450 SE-I H
  • Caravan:2008 Swift Conqueror 540

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

We have the Phantom Tracker on our Swift, if you trigger the alarm by going in the caravan and setting off the PIR, or you activate the tilt sensor without turning off the alarm, you get a call within a few minutes from a human being at the control centre.

#8 Rob-T

Rob-T

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Caravan:Unicorn Valencia 2

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

My understanding is the audible alarm is connected only to the pir system, but quite prepared to be corrected on that.
If the p.i.r. is functioning it would be difficult to move the van in any way without the alarm sounding, curtain or something would move and trigger it, so it would probably sound also if the caravan was moved.
I've had a couple of false alarms recently due to the "light breezes" we have been experiencing.
I found Tracker themselves very helpful to deal with over the phone when I had some queries with the first van I had with Tracker fitted, more knowledgeable than the Bailey customer services.

#9 Atty

Atty

One Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning, photography, pets and the countryside.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

We have the Phantom Tracker on our Swift, if you trigger the alarm by going in the caravan and setting off the PIR, or you activate the tilt sensor without turning off the alarm, you get a call within a few minutes from a human being at the control centre.

We also have active Phantom Tracker and had same response as Steve. We have been contacted by Phantom to report low voltage from the caravan battery. I lifted caravan onto tow ball without turning off alarm, very little movement, again we were contacted by Phantom. All contacts from Phantom have been by text to mobile followed by a call from a human being within a couple of minutes. Just wish I could remember to turn the alarm off !!!

#10 Tandem Man

Tandem Man

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Towcar:Passat Alltrack 177PS DSG
  • Caravan:Unicorn 3 Cadiz in Feb/March 2015

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

We have Phantom Proii and forgot to turn it off before entering van on one occasion.

Had a text within seconds,folllowed by a phone call to my mobile,they had also left a message at home and rung my wife on her mobile.

Pretty comprehensive service for a false alarm.

One thing does confuse me though,in the manual it states categorically that you should inform Phantom before disconnecting the battery for any reason,fair enough.

Before I read this I didn't ring them as the alarm and the Phantom were switched off,no-one rang on that occasion and I did not expect them to as it was turned off.

Wonder why you have to inform them of a battery disconnection ?

Ian

#11 limecc

limecc

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

I feel happier being called by an automated system as I don't feel so bad for having left the alarm on and there's no chance of being charged for a false alarm like Phantom have stated. At the end of the day the method is just as effective.

I didn't have the Tracker's siren connected to warn it was fitted, but had a discreet LED fitted by the installer and I reduced the brightness of the same with a variable resistor.

#12 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts
  • Interests:fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:37 PM

I've got a Bailey Unicorn (I don't think the make of van is relevant) fitted with a Tracker Monitor and PIR intruder alarm. Does anyone know if moving the van causes the alarm to sound as well as alerting Tracker?. The reason for this question is that during the very high winds that we've just had the alarm in the van has sounded (twice) but I haven't heard from Tracker. The tracker instructions aren't everso clear (in fact they are rubbish) on whether the alarm just sounds when there is an intruder or if it does when the van is moved as well. It's also not everso clear how much movement is required before tracker will respond, does the van have to be rattling down the road for a couple of miles before they realise something is amiss of will a decent amount of shaking (such as we've just had with 60mph winds) do it. I can understand that just winding up the jockey wheel may not set it off but lifting it onto a trailer aught to. I would have thought that the buffeting that it just got would have been equivalent to lifting the van. We didn't let the alarm sound too long but it was certainly three or four minutes before it was disabled

I have thought that the next time I take the van out that I'll leave the thing armed, just to see what happens and when

The alarm is activated by the pir, or movement sensor on the Unicorn.

Tracker is only operated by a movement sensor.

I did have a link, but the tracker site has once again altered.

You should have a leaflet that explains how the system works, mine came with the tracker wallet/info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users