#1 smiler38

smiler38

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Brass bands , computers

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

I have been studying the Lunar manuals in preparation for delivery of our Lunar Delta, and have been slightly puzzled by the water system schematics. I thought that the systems worked as follows -

External Pump feeds water into van and tops up the internal tank, at which point you can switch the internal pump on. This feeds water from tank to taps/water heater, and continues until 1/2 empty, at which point the auto-fill from external pump activates and re-tops up the internal tank from external source (provided it is available).

My sudden thought was ... is it only the internal pump that provides water pressure to taps/water heater, or does the solenoid allow the external pump to supply water pressure to the taps/heater (effectively being able to bypass the internal tank/pump?

This would make sense, as a failure of the internal pump would otherwise render the water system totally u/s.

Does anyone have the definative answer?

Looking on a Swift water schematic, it shows only the feed from internal tank going to taps/water heater. On the Lunar it shows connection from external and internal being fed to taps/heater with solenoid between external and water tank (for auto-fill).

#2 Brian Dobbie

Brian Dobbie

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

You can use either pump to supply the van water system by-passing the onboard tank if required.
I have the 2011 Clubman with the onboard tank.
I usually fill the onboard tank and use it then the system changes over automatically to the aquaroll, I don't use the auto top up.
Once you get your van, you will see that there are two switches that control the entire system, assumming 2012 is the same as 2011.
Brian

#3 smiler38

smiler38

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

You can use either pump to supply the van water system by-passing the onboard tank if required.
I have the 2011 Clubman with the onboard tank.
I usually fill the onboard tank and use it then the system changes over automatically to the aquaroll, I don't use the auto top up.
Once you get your van, you will see that there are two switches that control the entire system, assumming 2012 is the same as 2011.
Brian

Thanks for infor Brian. Yep, the manual has about the two switches. This also was not 100% clear in the Lunar Maunal - There is a pump switch (controlling the external pump) , and a three way int/o/ext. The manual says that "on INT the internal pump is active, and only switches to ext if water level in tank falls below 1/2.... with the ext pump filling up the tank ... until above the 1/2. When on EXT , the external pump is active and automatically fills the water tank."

So reading into that , if on INT, the water is supplied from tank (filled and topped up by ext pump), and on EXT uses only ext pump , but as a side issue , fills the internal tank.?

As long as you can use either int or ext in isolation , I'm not that bothered - just needed to confirm that there was no 'single point of failure' if the internal pump croaked. BTW , is the internal pump internal to the tank? Again the manual implies it is. Just thinking ahead if there are any water pump failings that might require the whole tank to be removed and replaced.

Dave

#4 Jocky

Jocky

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, 4X4's fishing and football

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:38 PM

If you want to know the level in the internal tank press the volt button on control panel and there are lights that show if its full etc.

I just fill the onboard tank via aquaroll never use auto change over.

You should also get a super pitch hose with built in regulator.

Cheers

#5 Brian Dobbie

Brian Dobbie

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for infor Brian. Yep, the manual has about the two switches. This also was not 100% clear in the Lunar Maunal - There is a pump switch (controlling the external pump) , and a three way int/o/ext. The manual says that "on INT the internal pump is active, and only switches to ext if water level in tank falls below 1/2.... with the ext pump filling up the tank ... until above the 1/2. When on EXT , the external pump is active and automatically fills the water tank."

So reading into that , if on INT, the water is supplied from tank (filled and topped up by ext pump), and on EXT uses only ext pump , but as a side issue , fills the internal tank.?

As long as you can use either int or ext in isolation , I'm not that bothered - just needed to confirm that there was no 'single point of failure' if the internal pump croaked. BTW , is the internal pump internal to the tank? Again the manual implies it is. Just thinking ahead if there are any water pump failings that might require the whole tank to be removed and replaced.

Dave

The left hand switch, when looking at control panel, is the three way switch and the right hand switch is the external pump.

01)If the left hand switch is in the top position (int) then the water is supplied from the onboard tank until the onboard tank is empty. Then it switches to the aquaroll.
02)If the left hand switch is in the bottom position (ext) then this fills the onboard tank from the aquaroll and cuts out when the onboard tank is full
03) In cases 01 & 02 the left hand switch has to be in the down position, (ext)
04) If the left hand switch is in the middle (neutral) position and the right hand switch is in the down (ext) position then the onboard tank is out of service and the aquaroll supplies all water.
05) I think position 04 would be where you should be when using the super pitch hose.
06) There are two small green light on the control panel which will show which pump is running.
07) The onboard tank has an internal T handle which is removed for draining the inboard tank.
08) There is also an external shower connection that fits beside the external pump inlet.

Least ways this is how mine works I have never used the auto top up of the onboard tank.

Brian

Edited by Brian Dobbie, 08 November 2011 - 04:30 PM.

#6 Surf01

Surf01

Five Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

We wrote to Lunar and here is their answer;

I have forwarded your email on to our design team and they have advised that you shouldn’t have to actually disconnect the external pump in order for the internal pump to work. Even if the external water bottle is empty, as long as there is sufficient water in the on board tank, the internal pump should work until the level drops to a predetermined level, at which point it will cut out and then you will of course need to refill the external bottle which will feed the on board tank etc. As this doesn’t seem to be happening, we recommend your dealer checks the system over and they can submit a warranty claim to us for any parts that are found to be faulty.

Caravan is at dealers at the moment for a few issues to be rectified. I asked about the internal and external tanks and whether it had been rectified. The dealer told me that even if the internal tank was full, the water will not pump from the Internal tank if the external tank is empty. I reminded them about the copy of the email that I had supplied. Oops we will check again!
We are supposed to collect it tomorrow so will be asking them to do the water check while we wait.

#7 AntV8

AntV8

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Land Rovers and RC's

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

I have also been reading the manual (Delta FB coming at the end of the month) Very good break down on the fuctions there Brian. Hopefully its as easy when using ;)

I am guessing you can run the system (once full) even if you have the aquaroll and ext pump not there/disconnected?

Ant

#8 smiler38

smiler38

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

cheers Brian. I look forward to playing with the switches when i get the van.

#9 Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, Astro-photography

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

Thank you for the point by point list of pump functions, Brian - very useful indeed.

#10 proterra

proterra

proterra

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

One point, how do you drain the internal tank for travelling winter etc.

#11 Jocky

Jocky

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, 4X4's fishing and football

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

One point, how do you drain the internal tank for travelling winter etc.

There is a drain which has a handle on, pull it up and the tank drains :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users