#1 andreap

andreap

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning, travel, nature

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hello

Do you cover your van up for the winter period?

I am a newbie caravaner and after trawling the internet for advice, still cant decide if its good to cover or not. Reports of scratched windows, mould and other nasties have sent me in a spin. What experiences do you have please?

I have my van currently in storage and unfortunately, under a tree (no other choice at the moment).

If you do cover your van up, I would love to know how you do it. I cleaned the van a couple of days ago with a view to putting a brand new cover on it. Lo and behold, it started to rain of course. Dropping debris on the van again. I decided not to cover and wait for a more reliable day.

Many thanks

Andrea

#2 RobOwen

RobOwen

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Towcar:VW Passat Alltrack
  • Caravan:Swift Challenger Sport 586

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:12 PM

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to the forum. Most of the questions asked have already appeared in some shape or another over time. I have only been browsing here since July/August time but do recall a similar question in this thread which may help you.

Edited by RobOwen, 27 October 2011 - 11:13 PM.

#3 RobJS

RobJS

Following his nose.

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Interests:Travelling & Cycling
  • Towcar:VW Tiguan
  • Caravan:Bailey Olympus 530-4

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:12 AM

I wouldn't cover my van having seen some after the winter period in storage! Not the best place to store a van (under a tree). If I was you I would probably invest in one of those covers just for the roof to help with leaves, sap etc falling on the van. I think that rivers way leisure sell them but not 100% sure

#4 BOAC

BOAC

BOAC

• CT Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • Interests:Petal & Baggins
    Jeep & Pastiche
    Air Traffic Control
  • Towcar:Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7
  • Caravan:2003 Coachman Pastiche 460/2

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

On my last two caravans I have used Protec covers.

Both the covers I have purchased from Protec have fitted very well indeed with hardly any areas that flap around in the wind and with no adverse effect to the caravan.

It is a bit of a struggle to put the cover on but I suspect that this is common to all caravans.

Protec supply webbing straps to go underneath the caravan to hold the cover on and they also supply extendable poles to make life easier when putting the cover on the caravan.

I have my caravan parked at the bottom of my garden which is overhung by a sycamore tree which deposits a resin type substance onto my caravan roof.

This caused the roof of the caravan to turn green with quite a thick layer of the tree’s deposit. I spent a very Merry afternoon with CIF cream cleaner cleaning it off. I then gave it a good polishing with Greased Lightning waterless polish and it turned out very well.

I then covered the caravan with my new Protec cover that I had ordered some weeks earlier. As it so happened I put the cover on when the caravan was wet since it had been raining prior to putting it on.

Over the next few days I found horrendous condensation in the caravan, but this was soon dried out by leaving the door open for most of one day and after that there was no more condensation. I did mention this to Protec covers and they did say that in some circumstances on some makes of caravan this would happen, and my old Lunar was one of them.

As it so happens I did exactly the same thing with my Bailey Oklahoma, but I did not experience any condensation whatsoever.

All the same, once every two or three weeks I do have the door open to air the caravan.

I did have my old Lunar parked in a barn for a time but even there without a cover the roof seem to attract all sorts of debris, and it was an annoyance because obviously I would have to get up there and clean it, but since using a cover that onerous task is not necessary.

For myself, I would not be without a caravan cover and whether a caravan is undercover or not I am convinced that a caravan cover will not only protect the caravan it will also improve the security aspects of the caravan.

I cannot emphasise enough how glad I am at the beginning of the season to remove the cover and find a nice clean polished caravan ready to hit the road. Before I had my cover I spent a great deal of time and money polishing and washing the caravan which is now not necessary.

In my opinion and experience I think that a cover is one accessory that a caravan should not be without.

Regards

Pete

#5 bartow

bartow

Five Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

Hey, BO,

Glad you didn't say anything funny there, as in 'it only hurts when ……,, etc!

#6 jacknife

jacknife

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

protech cover on so far no problems at all

#7 Jimmy&Jeannie

Jimmy&Jeannie

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

I got a brand new cover for my van as it is stored next to trees. it went on easy with me and Jeannie a lot easier than I anticipated since this was the first time. the only problem was the gutter at the front of the caravan sticks out a couple of inches and as I tightened the cover it pocked a hole through the new cover **!!***. I will open the cover over the next few days and cut the gutter back to the van body and try a repair on the cover.

Jimmy

#8 BOAC

BOAC

BOAC

• CT Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
    Jeep & Pastiche
    Air Traffic Control

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:42 PM

When I ripped a hole in my cover, I found a spare sheet of the material that Protek had kindly enclosed for this purpose.

I cut a bit off to overlap the tear by about 2 inches. I then used Evostick impact adhesive applied to the outside of the offcut, and then to the inside of the cover, making VERY sure that the adhesive was right up to the edge of the offcut.

I pressed them together sandwiching the two inbetween my heel and a piece of wooden plank.

I waited 24 hours before recovering the van. It has held very well.

BO

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma, 04 November 2011 - 03:43 PM.

#9 Jimmy&Jeannie

Jimmy&Jeannie

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

thank you BO I didn't get any offcut to use but storage bag is the same material so I will cut a bit out
Sorry not trying to hijack thread.
Jimmy

#10 BOAC

BOAC

BOAC

• CT Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
    Jeep & Pastiche
    Air Traffic Control

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

thank you BO I didn't get any offcut to use but storage bag is the same material so I will cut a bit out
Sorry not trying to hijack thread.
Jimmy

How about contacting the company and asking them for an offcut.

It will not be the last rip and it is good to have some spare.

I was only suggesting Evostick for use with a Protec cover. If yours is a different make, ask the company what you should stick it with.

Pete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users