8 replies to this topic

#1 mstaines

mstaines

One Star

• No longer a member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:32 AM

I am toying with the idea of fitting a Gas Detector in my caravan, but am not 100% clear on what I should be getting...

Will an LPG gas detector just detect LPG and Same with the CO2 ?

Should I fit both ?

Is one more important to fit than the other ?

Feedback/hints/tips/advice greatly appreciated,

Mick.

#2 spursboy61

spursboy61

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Saab Sportwagon 1.9 TDi + Swift Accord 520

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:01 AM

Hi Mick, LPG is explosive but is heavier than air and smells strongly. You should be able to detect any leaks by the smell. The other detector you mention should, I think, be CO, (carbon monoxide). This is odourless and tasteless but is a silent killer. Of the 2 I would go for an AUDIBLE carbon monoxide alarm. Regular servicing of your 'van should prevent any problems fron these gasses.
Mike :D :D

#3 JonathanM

JonathanM

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location:North of Watford, south of Berwick, west of the Pennines

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:25 PM

We bought an audible CO monitor, rather than anythign else. LPG has a distinctive odour to it, and as Mike says above CO probably carries more risk of harm (unless you sit there all evening going "whats that funny smell?").

#4 eighthofseven

eighthofseven

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:06 PM

There are three sorts of detector:

1. Fire detectors - ionisation or optical - sound an alarm when combustion is detected. Prone to false alarms from cooking etc.

2. Carbon Monoxide detectors - alarm on presence of Carbon monoxide (colourless, odourless, toxic gas) from heating appliances etc.
The audible alarm (rather than the colour-change patch) is defineitly the one to have in a van.

3. LPG (flammable gas detection) - alarms on gas leak detection. LPG is not toxic, but it is dangerously explosive in a confined space. tiny sparks - from light swithches etc. - can cause it to detonate. NB not just burn, DETONATE. This is a VERY BAD THING.

We have a combioned Fire/Carbon monoxide and a separate LPG alarm.

note that Co and LPG alarms have a limited service life and need to be replaced every 5 years or so (see manufacturer's documentation).

They last a long time if you remove the batteries and box/bag them up when the van is not in use; but you MUST re-install them every time you use the van !!

#5 mstaines

mstaines

One Star

• No longer a member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:06 AM

"There are three sorts of detector:
1. Fire detectors - ionisation or optical - sound an alarm when combustion is detected. Prone to false alarms from cooking etc."

On the false alarm subject, are there smoke alarms on the market that allow you to disable the alarm sounder, whilst doing your cooking, making the toast etc.

"note that Co and LPG alarms have a limited service life and need to be replaced every 5 years or so (see manufacturer's documentation).
They last a long time if you remove the batteries and box/bag them up when the van is not in use; but you MUST re-install them every time you use the van !!"

Would this "Replace every 5 years" also apply to permenantly wired models, such as this... http://www.marclelei...es/image021.jpg

#6 eighthofseven

eighthofseven

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:50 AM

On the false alarm subject, are there smoke alarms on the market that allow you to disable the alarm sounder, whilst doing your cooking, making the toast etc.

Yes - these are most useful ! But some types of detector can become contaminated (and therefore unreliable) after repeated exposure to particulates, irrespective of whether they are muted or not.

Would this "Replace every 5 years" also apply to permenantly wired models, such as this... http://www.marclelei...es/image021.jpg

Yes. LPG detectors typically use a semiconductor block (diffusion) technology. The sensor element has a finite life before its sensitivity starys to degrade, and becomes unreliable.

The same is true for CO sensors.

View Post

Most ionisation smoke detectors have about a 10 year life before the radioactivity of the source decays below the level necessary for effective operation.
Optical smoke detectors in theory have an indefinite lifetime as long as the senosr chamber is clean; but the manufacturares would probably reccommend routine replacement. A lot of technological change can happen in 10 years.

Alarm systems like smoke and LPG detectors are NOT a substitute for common sense, due care, good operating procedures, and routine maintainance of gas equipment !

#7 tonylumley

tonylumley

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:model helicopters, caravans. but beer is best!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

as a gas engineer of 35 years I would like to point out that although a CO detector is a good idea, you will only risk CO being present by incomplete combustion of carbon based fuel, All vans are made and designed to provide adequate ventilation and we need to be vigilant about blocking up air vents usually located under seats and places where we like to store soft furnishings and clothes. Also if we stick to having the gas burning equipment fitted in the van maintained regularly as you all do at home for your central heating boiler( he says tongue in cheek) we will go a long way toward preventing CO problems. with regard to servicing I have always found that the annual service will not encompass fridges and heaters, usually only the integrety of the flue and gas tightness being tested unless specified when you book the service, however this maybe just where i have my van serviced so needs checking.I hope this doesnt sound like I am trying to teach grandma to suck eggs, A useful link is www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htm which has advise regarding these detectors. hope this is of use to you LUM

#8 JanandJay

JanandJay

Brown Ale Tester

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:DIY.
    Lager and Wine
    Motorsport
    The Caravan
  • Towcar:Nissan Pathfinder Aventura
  • Caravan:Lunar Solaris 1

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

As you state your not trying to teach grandma to suck eggs.... But you do know this topic of over 7 years old.. last post was on the 31/08/2005....

#9 tonylumley

tonylumley

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:model helicopters, caravans. but beer is best!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

strewth. didnt even see the date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users