Glasvegas

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Skiing
    Cycling

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

Hi all. I've seen a tidy lunar Chiron near me. 1994 at 2200. Has anyone any ideas about this van that may help me decide. Are the chitons ok? It is my first van. Also looking at a trade Abi marauder at 2250 1996.

The light weights of these vans are attractive.

#2 daisymaisy

daisymaisy

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

Hi Glasvegas,sorry I don't know anything about the lunar Chiron but our first van was an abi marauder (1986)which was a great van,so light to tow,infact we were able to tow it with my wee ford fiesta lol The Marauder was as dry as a bone and although ours was only 2 berth we felt it was very spacious for moving around in with the end kitchen etc.Our only problem was the big huge front window when some little ned decided to aim his golf ball at it ,we found it hard to get a second hand replacement so sold the van in the yellow scotad paper for £250.00 we bought it for £350.00 and put the £250 towards our cosalt safari which was £600 on ebay.I would try private sales before going to a trader but it's worth buying a damp meter from B&Q to take along with you.
Good luck in your van hunting,let us know how you get on

Edited by daisymaisy, 08 September 2011 - 10:49 AM.

#3 Glasvegas

Glasvegas

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
    Cycling

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for that. I do think an Abi marauder or a lunar Ariva may be the best.
Think the Abi I was looking at may be a bit pricey looking at private ads.
Gumtree good too

#4 marklindsay

marklindsay

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

Hi Glad to see another Person from Aberdeen on here. Buying a second hand van can be a nightmare. When i looked for our first caravan i knew nothing at all about caravans. A seller tried to sell me a caravan which on the outside looked fantastic. It wasn't until i got advise from an experienced person who told me what to look out for that inside i discovered very bad damp which the seller denied at the time. It was soaking and had stained the fabric, Just a pure lies. Be careful.

Cheers MARK.

#5 daisymaisy

daisymaisy

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:40 PM

Hi Glad to see another Person from Aberdeen on here. Buying a second hand van can be a nightmare. When i looked for our first caravan i knew nothing at all about caravans. A seller tried to sell me a caravan which on the outside looked fantastic. It wasn't until i got advise from an experienced person who told me what to look out for that inside i discovered very bad damp which the seller denied at the time. It was soaking and had stained the fabric, Just a pure lies. Be careful.

Cheers MARK.

Your right Mark about being careful thats why we bought a damp meter and lifted all the cushions etc especially checking inder the window area ,we also watched out for vans with air freshners dotted around the place obviously trying to hide horrible damp smells.But there are some good bargains to be had.Another place to look is in farms that do storage ,where we keep ours there have been a few that the owners have passed away and the families had not been interested in them and the farmer just sold them,my brother in law bought a Cosalt safari from our storage place ,although 2 berth like mines is,his is 14ft mines is 12" it's a cracking van for only £400.

Admin comment:
Animated avatar removed - see T&Cs

#6 Glasvegas

Glasvegas

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
    Cycling

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:49 PM

I'm going to see an Elddis Whirlwind GT 1994 that's been stored inside and hardly used for 2 years. Private sale. Woman and her husband. Have ordered a dampmeter and she sounded proud of it an fine on the phone. Looking 2k.
Do you know if this sounds right? Obviously will barter if right van.

Ian

#7 marklindsay

marklindsay

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

Hi Ian, The only way to find a caravan you like is do do exactly what you are doing go and view them, you have nothing to lose. I must have viewed at least 20 vans before i found a wee gem up in Elgin. I saw it in the Scot adds.
It was a 1995 elddis crown mint condition inside and out. Every site we went to people commented on how good it looked. Just lucky i guess. The couple we bought it from looked after it very well. The key thing we found is that they were willing to show us anything so much so that we were there for ages they were so proud of the caravan. We viewed some vans where the seller would not leave you alone or stop you from looking at things , thats the ones to avoid. If you ask to see something working and they refuse then walk away...

This is the fun part.

MARK...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users