• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 hargreaves1234

hargreaves1234

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:18 PM

We are new to caravanning, and considering our first purchase, we are 2 adults and 3 children, 2 x 13 year olds and a 6 year old. we have been looking at configurations that appear to fit the bill, initially we were considering 4 berth and purchasing an awning with bedroom pods for the boys, however, this has not gone down to well with the boys, and are now considering the Adria Adora 612 DT, on first inspections this caravan seems to cater for us all. A close friend has suggested to consider carefully as they are built in Slovenia, and some dealers are wary or wont stock them. We have been advised against twin axle, as we intend travelling through France, once we get a few more local trips under our belt. Our budget is region 9,000-12,000, has to cater for the 5 of us and like the idea of a fixed bed for ourselves
They do appear very reasonable, and wondered what the consensus was regarding these Vans
Many thanks

Steven & Gemma

#2 Robin F

Robin F

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:37 PM

I cant comment on the Adora but I have a Altea 542dt and all I will say is go for it! They are superb vans built well and at a good price.

Dont worry about them being made in Slovenia they are built to UK spec. Now some may say it takes ages to get any parts reqd but all I can say is the couple of bits I have had to have done (decals) were sent very quickly so I think it might be partly down to how good your dealer is.

#3 Madmeg

Madmeg

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Family History, walking, caravanning.

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:44 PM

Why are your boys baulking at the pods? We caravanned with our two daughter in the van till they were about 12, then they couldn't wait to go in the pup tent, initially in the awning for security, then behind the van. We rigged up decent awning lighting, they had juice and snacks out there, they could get up early and leave us to sleep. Of course they crept in to use the loo, that was fine. Can't see the problem. A lovely way to bridge the gap between childhood and adulthood.

Meg

#4 bbrown1664

bbrown1664

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:25 PM

Whats the problem with twin axels in france?

#5 Brassneck

Brassneck

Undiscovered genius

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:15 PM

We are new to caravanning, and considering our first purchase, we are 2 adults and 3 children, 2 x 13 year olds and a 6 year old. we have been looking at configurations that appear to fit the bill, initially we were considering 4 berth and purchasing an awning with bedroom pods for the boys, however, this has not gone down to well with the boys, and are now considering the Adria Adora 612 DT, on first inspections this caravan seems to cater for us all. A close friend has suggested to consider carefully as they are built in Slovenia, and some dealers are wary or wont stock them. We have been advised against twin axle, as we intend travelling through France, once we get a few more local trips under our belt. Our budget is region 9,000-12,000, has to cater for the 5 of us and like the idea of a fixed bed for ourselves
They do appear very reasonable, and wondered what the consensus was regarding these Vans
Many thanks

Steven & Gemma

Your close friend hasn't got a clue what he's talking about.

Adrias' are built to a far better spec than UK vans. They STOCK and HOLD spares for their vans going back years, UK manufacturers DONT. The internal fittings such as fridge, cooker, heater etc etc are standard items across all UK vans.

Adrias are head and shoulders above UK vans build wise. They tow far more stable due to their dynamics and A frame length and the layout on them has been copied by UK manufacturers for the last 5 years or so. Want to see what your UK van layout will be in 3 years, have a look at Adrias.

As for a twin axle through France? Have you ever driven through France?

The continent is set up for caravans and motorhomes, its a major source of income. The whole of Europe is caravan mad, and the most stressful part of driving to France is negotiating the crowded rough smelly roads in the UK. France is a revelation.

You need to really really take onboard some advice from people on here who know more than me, but as an ex-Adria owner and a first timer through France with a twin axle 2 years ago im slightly one step ahead of you.

I'd also stop listening to "close" friends "advice" as well.

#6 steve1052cc

steve1052cc

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:27 AM

I'm on my third Adria guess that says it all as far as i'm concerned. Well built, hard wearing (2 young sons with my first 2 so the hard wearing was tested by experts) stable to tow. I have owned british vans, and probaly would again but not until the build quality is equal to vans from the continent.

#7 Neil P

Neil P

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning<br />Scammels<br />MilitaryVehicles - notably Stalwarts<br />Babylon 5<br />Saab cars

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:38 AM

We have the Adora 642UP and love it. Probably the 2nd best van we've ever had - 1st place remains still with the Swedish Cabby we sold 'cos the Gov't said they would never allow 2.5 metre wide vans - 6 months later the <censored> did a complete U-turn.. Grrr

I digress though. The Adria has survived 2 spells down at the War & Peace show without harm, and is remarkably comfortable. Even with the full 4 person complement. More often than not it's just me, the wife and the dog. - total luxury.

We'd thoroughly recommend one to anybody.

#8 gump

gump

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Interests:beer wine beer wine

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:55 PM

ive got a adora 612dp and its better than my old swift build is way a head off the uk vans strong and dent free (this is a issue with kids DENTS) all is uk spec,and uk spec appliances.You noly have to look at the new shape off bailey swift and even the new coach man and see there shapes are slowly becomeing the rounded shape off a adria and the kids wont like sleeping in waning if it gets damp and wet like all summers.

#9 LodgeFarmLeisure

LodgeFarmLeisure

Three Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Land Rovers, Caravanning, Walking, Cycling, Geocaching

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

Speaking as a person in the trade - I have an Adria - my last van was an Adria (only changed it because someone ran into it and wrote it off!) - my parents have an Adria - my grandfather has an Adria.
We service & repair all makes of caravan and motorhomes and the only ones we have no problems getting spares for are... Adria (and foreign vans in general).
Listen to the wise people above and not your so called 'knowledgeable friends'.
As said already, IMHO the build quality of Adrias are far superior to most British vans - and I find this a real shame as we, as a business try and source as much as we can locally and support local businesses over distant/foreign ones as much as possible.
BUT, as far as buying is concerned, we will spend our very hard earned money on a vehicle that will last, retain it's value, WONT LEAK, be easy and cheap to maintain and tow like a dream (and I've towed some dogs) - buy the Adria, you won't regret it!

Chris

#10 gump

gump

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Interests:beer wine beer wine

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

hargreaves i also buy vans and do up not trade and i would take a adia on any time as even the old ones are good not to much problem with damp so mutch i got a new one.

#11 ChrisUK

ChrisUK

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

There have been some threads on this forum re. twin axials in France as some sites assume you are a traveler.

I had an old Adria (1983)for about 20 years, very solid van, but then as I think now, they are not quite as fully fitted as british vans. The continental tend to live outside their van and only sleep in it. Here we assume its going to be wet.

Have Adrias got UK style battery / battery charging these days. My old one had no battery, I had to wire one in, but I seem to remember reading in the forum that they are still not quite the same in this area.

The new Adrias still look very solid but my wife finds them a bit plain inside. Me I would go for a simple / strong van.

#12 LodgeFarmLeisure

LodgeFarmLeisure

Three Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Land Rovers, Caravanning, Walking, Cycling, Geocaching

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

Have Adrias got UK style battery / battery charging these days. My old one had no battery, I had to wire one in, but I seem to remember reading in the forum that they are still not quite the same in this area.

The new Adrias still look very solid but my wife finds them a bit plain inside. Me I would go for a simple / strong van.

Adrias now have chargers & battery boxes and gas as well as mains water heaters. They all fully British Spec'd!

Edited by LodgeFarmLeisure, 08 December 2011 - 09:20 PM.

#13 johnw

johnw

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:40 PM

Hi I have the Adria 612DT got it to replace my Adria 612UP that was destroyed in a fire, the reason I got it was because the 612DT was the replacement for the 612UP, that should say something about these vans. We are now grand parents and regularly travel with my daughter her 2 children and my teenage daughter. so you can get alot of people in without the need for the awning although when travelling in France a small tent under the awning is sometimes used by my teenager. The wardrobe is a little small when traveling with a wife and 2 daughters, but not fantastically small really. As for travelling in france if you use the expensive holiday sites you should have no problem, but alot of the municipal sites and smaller sites will not allow twin axle vans on infact I have had had a little difficulty with some sites due to the length of my Adria at over 7 Metres some sites only allow upto 6 metres.
Another benefit of the 612 is the payload when travelling with a big family, but on the downside there is the max laden weight so you need a big vehicle to tow it, I used an Isuzu trooper but recently changed to a Kia Sorento both cope well the Kia performs better but the Isuzu was much more stable at speed and in wind, not that with the hitch stabaliser it dosent get unnerving on the Kia.
Hope this information is of help to you. :)

#14 lesr48

lesr48

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Caravanning, watching Football & Rugby,

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

I tow my Adria Adora 612DP (4 berth - fixed bed - 7 metre length) with a VW Passat ('07 model) and it is very stable. With regards fitting out, it has everything you could possibly want from a caravan with the exception of a built in microwave oven. My caravan is very comfortable and we considerit the height of luxury when just the 2 of us go away with it.. When we have members of the family or friends with us there is still lots of room available. I would recommend Adria caravans to anyone considering buying one.

#15 lesr48

lesr48

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Caravanning, watching Football & Rugby,

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

If you are North of Daventry, Kings Mill Leisure of Mansfield are Adria dealers and if you are East of Daventry, South Lincs Leisure just outside Boston are dealers.

#16 BenF

BenF

Head Honcho

• CT Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

We've had to remove a post as it has been reported as defamatory, I'll contact the original poster so it can be reposted without mentioning the dealer name.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

#17 steve1052cc

steve1052cc

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

I'm on my third adria bought the first one in1990 new, the second one new about 6 years later both were thoroughly test by my 2 very boisterous sons, and survived the ordeal mostly unscathed except for the odd bit of trim. We bought our last adria last year after owning a couple of british vans who's build quality in our opinion was way behind adrias.

#18 Adrianswall

Adrianswall

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:39 PM

Very happy with our Adria 542dt bought from Venture Caravans in Daventry.

We would only replace it with another adria, the 612dt would be ideal.

We have had two minor accidents, one of which kept the caravan off the road and in both cases we waited what to us was an unreasonable amount of time for damage assessment, parts ordering and in particular parts arrival. Adria blamed the dealer and vice versa.

Waiting a minimum of 4 months for a repair may be the norm in this industry, but in my view, is unacceptable.

I do beleive that the parts problem is an Adria issue rather than a dealer issue, which is why we have considered buying an Adria 612dt frm the same dealer. Hope the above is not deemed defamatory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users