24 replies to this topic

#1 raybow

raybow

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Travelling

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:32 PM

Does anyone know if you lose your B licence automatically when you reach 70 years old? If so can you take a test or something to carry on towing your caravan?

#2 Tigger

Tigger

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:23 AM

B or B+E?

Either way, you can continue driving, but have to self-certify your health.

If you have C1E on your licence (passed test before 1997), you'll need a medical to keep it. Vital for some folks with motorhomes.

#3 Grumpy Auld Smeesh

Grumpy Auld Smeesh

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts
  • Interests:Guinness,Riding my road bike,Kelly Brook.
  • Towcar:KIA CEED 1.6d eco
  • Caravan:Ace Jubilee Statesman

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:43 AM

Does anyone know if you lose your B licence automatically when you reach 70 years old? If so can you take a test or something to carry on towing your caravan?

Hi Raybow,..... l
As long as your are medically fit to drive I think you can more or less Soldier On. Unlike a HGV licence holder were you have to a sit a HGV Medical annually after the age of 65.

Grumpy Auld Smeesh...........:angry:

#4 Watson(JohnG)

Watson(JohnG)

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:53 AM

It was very misleading if you read the article in CARAVAN magazine where it said that some drivers over 70 being stopped on motorway checks were no longer entitled to tow
If you have the B+ E (towing) on your licence before you are 70 then you keep it
Its only drivers over 70 who start to tow and don't already have the B + E that would be required to take a test etc

YOUR DRIVING ENTITLEMENT ON RENEWING AT THE AGE OF 70

On reaching the age of 70, drivers will retain their driving entitlement for Category B and Category B+E (provided Category B+E was held prior to the expiry date of their driving licence). Category B+E entitles drivers to drive a motor vehicle (ie car, van or 4x4) not exceeding 3.5 tonnes Maximum Authorised Mass* (MAM), drawing/towing any weight trailer/caravan within the prescribed maximum towing weight. The maximum towing weight will be specified in the technical data section of the vehicle manufacturer’s handbook. However, Club recommendations on weight ratio between trailer and towing vehicle remain at 85%. *The terms ‘Maximum Authorised Mass’, ‘Gross Weight’ and ‘Permissible Maximum Weight’ all have the same meaning, ie the weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load the vehicle may safely carry. When drivers of any vehicle over a MAM of 3,500kg reach 70 years of age and their driving licence expires they must pass the D4 Medical Test and pass the required standard eyesight test at 20.5 metres/67 feet with glasses used when driving. This legislation became effective from 1 January 1998.

Edited by Watson(JohnG), 27 August 2011 - 07:00 AM.

#5 RADIOTWO

RADIOTWO

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:05 AM

Hi Raybow,..... l
As long as your are medically fit to drive I think you can more or less Soldier On. Unlike a HGV licence holder were you have to a sit a HGV Medical annually after the age of 65.

Grumpy Auld Smeesh...........:angry:

Hi

Unlike a HGV licence holder were you have to a sit a HGV Medical annually after the age of 65.
Just to put you right, a HGV driver has to have a medical every five years regardless of age (well after 45years old)
and as I am not 70 yet, from speaking to others I think the critical point is there is a check box to keep your B+ if
you have already got it when you send the application in, and of course the medical thing come into the equation

Radiotwo

#6 Grumpy Auld Smeesh

Grumpy Auld Smeesh

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

Hi

Unlike a HGV licence holder were you have to a sit a HGV Medical annually after the age of 65.
Just to put you right, a HGV driver has to have a medical every five years regardless of age (well after 45years old)
and as I am not 70 yet, from speaking to others I think the critical point is there is a check box to keep your B+ if
you have already got it when you send the application in, and of course the medical thing come into the equation

Radiotwo

Hi RadioTwo,
Don't have to put me right Old Fruit. Have held a HGV Licence since 1979 and well aware of the Medical Criteria involved in staying legal on the road. :P

GRUMPY AULD SMEESH....................:angry:

#7 RADIOTWO

RADIOTWO

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:40 PM

Hi RadioTwo,
Don't have to put me right Old Fruit. Have held a HGV Licence since 1979 and well aware of the Medical Criteria involved in staying legal on the road. :P

GRUMPY AULD SMEESH....................:angry:

So why did you say "you have to have a medical after 65" then ?

Radiotwo

#8 wak

wak

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:caravanning

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hi,
At 70 y-o 3.5 tonnes is the limit unless you have a medical, and you lose your Group 'C ' part of your licence.
B+E is not affected. but I think you cannot drive the larger Motorhomes ( above 3.5 t )

#9 Trevor Marron

Trevor Marron

Four Wheeler

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,393 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

Radiotwo

I would suggest it was because you are both right, but the thread was about 'older' drivers retaining licence groups.

#10 raybow

raybow

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Travelling

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:49 PM

many thanks all, I still have a few years to go to 70 and am rellieved to hear as long as I am fit, I can continue to enjoy our caravan . I will make sure I tick all the boxes on licence renewal.

Cheers Raybow

#11 Watson(JohnG)

Watson(JohnG)

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:45 PM

many thanks all, I still have a few years to go to 70 and am rellieved to hear as long as I am fit, I can continue to enjoy our caravan . I will make sure I tick all the boxes on licence renewal.

Cheers Raybow

It creeps up on you faster each year
I always was the youngest at work but grew out of it Posted Image

#12 Grumpy Auld Smeesh

Grumpy Auld Smeesh

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

Radiotwo

Your quite correct Radio2 my apologies. A bit of finger trouble on the old keyboard. I'm due my HGV Medical this November a new pair of glasses required me thinks !!! B) ............

Grumpy Blinn Auld Smeesh..............:angry:

Ace Jubilee Statesman .........Jaguar S Type 2.7d SE Auto Sport ..........

#13 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,103 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:41 AM

How it works.

http://www.direct.go...ence/DG_4022086

Good luck!

#14 bartow

bartow

Five Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

You don't lose any entitlements at 70 but to maintain some of them you may need to take a medical.

How's that for a simple unambiguous answer?

#15 Alan

Alan

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Senator Wyoming & Grand Cherokee Overland

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:20 PM

You have hit a sore point here!

I reached seventy in February, and I own a Grand Cherokee and a Senator Wyoming. Together these come out at over three and a half tons. At the beginning of January, I downloaded the forms from the DVLA, and asked my doctor to fill in the one due to him, whilst I entered some of the information on the form aimed at myself. I took them to our local DVLA office and asked the man for advice. He told me that I needed the C1+E licence; he completed the form and sent it to Swansea.

Six weeks later, Swansea told me that the doctor had not filled the form in correctly, and he would have to do it again. Six weeks later, I was told that I must have a visual depth of field test. Six weeks later, I was told that hospital doctor had not done the test properly and I must do it again. Six weeks later, I had to visit a cardiologist. Six weeks later, I was told that I must do an Exercise ECG. This comprises walking on a level treadmill for three minutes. The slope and the speed are then increased and you go for another three minutes. Again the slope and the speed are increased... My legs could not cope with that and I fell off. My blood pressure was taken at every stage.

I asked the docter "Have I failed?". He said, "I don't know, but you fell off; it wasn't a cardiovascular problem".

So here we, going into September and I do not have the vaguest idea whether I shall be able to tow my caravan. We normally go to France about now, but all that I have is a piece of paper which the DVLA believe that the police might accept if I have to show it. I do not think that would work in France.

For the past two months Practical Caravan has stated that all one needs is a B+E licence.

I feel down hearted. I have done all that has been asked of me and nothing.

Sorry to go on but as I said it is a sore point.

#16 TedNewman

TedNewman

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

Alan you do not need the C licence for towing a caravan with your car - the greater than 3.5 tonne limit applies to the vehicle you are driving (not the combination) and I do not think your Jeep is that.

The B+E allows you to drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes and working on the 100% towing regs you can tow a caravan up to 3.5 tonnes - that is a total of 7 tonnes --- BUT you can not drive a car or van of 3.6 tonnes or more.

Your DVLA adviser obviously has not got a clue about the subject.

PS I have been through it all twice so I know :)

#17 Alan

Alan

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

Thanks Ted for that although I think it is too late now. Do you have any idea about the hoops through whhich I should have to jump?

#18 beejay

beejay

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,909 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:56 PM

I reached seventy in February, and I own a Grand Cherokee and a Senator Wyoming.........
At the beginning of January, I downloaded the forms from the DVLA, and asked my doctor to fill in the one due to him,

It begs the question..why?

Unless you had - and wished to retain - a C or D entitlement you only needed to self certify that you do not suffer from any of the ailments listed on the form to continue with a BE entitlement which covers your outfit...

#19 bordeauxderek

bordeauxderek

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, RC Model Aircraft BOATING !

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:39 PM

I quote from advice given me recently regarding B+E driving licence granted before January 1997, I believe it is the C and D (if you have them) part you lose without further medicals.

My opinion is that you did not pass a medical to get your +E entitlement,
neither did you need to pass an additional driving test to get the +E
entitlement. If you are permitted to drive a car and trailer before your
70th birthday you will still therefore, under current legislation be
entitled to do so afterwards, providing you comply with medical
requirements. I cannot predict legislation which might be implemented in
the future or foresee circumstances which might involve you needing to be
re-tested.

I hope that this helps.

Kindest regards,

Thanks Ted for that although I think it is too late now. Do you have any idea about the hoops through whhich I should have to jump?

Edited by bordeauxderek, 31 August 2011 - 07:42 PM.

#20 Alan

Alan

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:25 PM

Beejay,

I thought that I had explained why I went for C1+E - it was due to advice from my local DVLA office.

I still cannot understand the official DVLA rules, so I asked for, and got, the advice frome "the expert".

Thank you Derek; see my previous reply. I am still confused by the rules and the advice that was given to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users