19 replies to this topic

#1 iuliu

iuliu

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

Hi there,

I recently purchased a caravan from ebay, and I plan on going thought Europe in 2 weeks ( France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria) . The tow car is not registerred in the UK. Could anyone give me some advice ? Do I just stick my number plate on the back of the caravan and go? I don't have any papers for the caravan to prove that is mine...

Your help is much appreciated !

#2 scott b

scott b

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:karting, cycling, cars

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

yes you can do that or order a plate of ebay

#3 iuliu

iuliu

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:03 PM

Thanks, I did consider buying the number plate off ebay, but my question was if it is legal to do so?

Thanks again

#4 jeff_lon

jeff_lon

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Travel Dines & Wines. Steam Power.

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

You may have bought yourself a load of trouble. If your towcar was registered in the UK your caravan would have to display the same Reg as the towcar. However, in Europe the caravan will be registered seperately from the car and carry a different Reg. Your caravan may first have to undergo an MOT also---something not required in the UK. I suggest you contact the Caravan Club/RAC/AA for advice

#5 iuliu

iuliu

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

You may have bought yourself a load of trouble. If your towcar was registered in the UK your caravan would have to display the same Reg as the towcar. However, in Europe the caravan will be registered seperately from the car and carry a different Reg. Your caravan may first have to undergo an MOT also---something not required in the UK. I suggest you contact the Caravan Club/RAC/AA for advice

Thank you for your reply. I has just thinking about the actual trip from UK to my destination. passing through 5 countries with a non UK reg car towing a UK caravan ( with the number plate of the towing car). Should there be any problems?

Thank you

#6 PETERA

PETERA

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:18 PM

A real minefield, in France (if french reg car) you will need a certificate of conformity from the manufacturer, plus the equivalent of their MOT. Other countries probably have similar regs, good luck.

Pete

#7 jeff_lon

jeff_lon

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Travel Dines & Wines. Steam Power.

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:22 PM

Well now. In the UK it is legal to remove the rear plate from the towcar and attach it to the trailer/caravan---remembering to put it back on the car afterwards. I still thing you should get proper advice---and what about insurance if you have no proof of ownership of the caravan. Was the seller the legal owner of the caravan or could it have been nicked?

#8 snooks

snooks

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Water Colour Painting and my Website.

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

I know in Germany and the rest of Europe it is illegal to drive a European registered car towing a British caravan you will not be insured either.

Edited by snooks, 23 August 2011 - 08:53 PM.

#9 MDM

MDM

Three Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Du Vin, Du Pain, Du Boursin.......Parfait

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:21 AM

Hi Iuliu,

Here in France if you are caught towing a caravan WITH the same number plate as the car the gendarmes will fine you on the spot, and poss more. All trailers over 500kgs braked must have their own carte grise (reigstration document) and seperate number plate from the car. It is illegal to tow a UK plated caravan behind a French registered car. I can not comment on the other countries you plan to traverse but I would be very careful with your decision.

Regards

M

#10 beejay

beejay

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

Hi there,

I recently purchased a caravan from ebay, and I plan on going thought Europe in 2 weeks ( France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria) . The tow car is not registerred in the UK. Could anyone give me some advice ? Do I just stick my number plate on the back of the caravan and go? I don't have any papers for the caravan to prove that is mine...

Your help is much appreciated !

Your plans are scuppered! :(

The caravan will need to conform to the requirements of the country in which the car is registered.....which is? Generally speaking most European countries, other than the U.K,. have a registration/testing system in place for trailers.

#11 pfr

pfr

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

I am interested in this topic because last summer our Volvo broke down while towing in South of France. Red Pennant insurance got a new Mercedes estate hire car and delivered it to me overnight from Stuttgart. I towed home with the Mercedes through France and England over 4 days. I left my GB Reg No. on the caravan. Volvo was recovered separately by truck.
I got one or two odd looks from Police / customs in France and Dover but not stopped at all. If it was illegal to tow a GB van with a German car I would assume that you could not hire a car following a breakdown like mine. Any comments about this situation?

Frank

#12 drummond

drummond

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Old railways, old cars
  • Towcar:Citroen c6, Renault Scenic
  • Caravan:Carlight Casetta and 15/2

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

There's always one, Frank, and you are it!

If you got stopped, you would have an excuse, and it would take a really hard hearted policeman to take it any further. I had something similar with a van I was recovering in France, (French car/ English van) , and although I went about 200km, I had all the excuses ready. I also left at 11.30 and was home by 14.00. (*)

Otherwise, I can only agree with MDM and others- regrettably, don't.

(*)- French lunchtime. Even the gendarmes stop.

Edited by drummond, 24 August 2011 - 03:18 PM.

#13 pfr

pfr

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:36 PM

Drummond
Just to add a further twist to my earlier post. When we broke down with the Volvo the caravan was towed off the motorway by a french reg tow truck ordered by the French police. Red Pennant then arranged for a French agent with french tow vehicle to come about 100km to tow our caravan from the breakdown depot to our next planned stop at Millau.
I would have thought that if it was illegal to tow our UK van then we could not be legally recovered from the motorway and Red Pennant were wrong to get a French agent to tow us in France. In these circumstances how can breakdown insurance work?

Frank

#14 drummond

drummond

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

Frank

I believe that tow trucks on "official" business have a derogation. Ask Beejay!

Tim

#15 MDM

MDM

Three Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Du Vin, Du Pain, Du Boursin.......Parfait

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:08 PM

Drummond
Just to add a further twist to my earlier post. When we broke down with the Volvo the caravan was towed off the motorway by a french reg tow truck ordered by the French police. Red Pennant then arranged for a French agent with french tow vehicle to come about 100km to tow our caravan from the breakdown depot to our next planned stop at Millau.
I would have thought that if it was illegal to tow our UK van then we could not be legally recovered from the motorway and Red Pennant were wrong to get a French agent to tow us in France. In these circumstances how can breakdown insurance work?

Frank

Hi Frank,

The case you are talking about, is I think, different from the OP. You were on holiday and had a breakdown, you are resident in the UK, the breakdown services sourced you a temp vehicle to "get you home" the recovery vehicle IS allowed to tow vehicles which are, or are involved with a breakdown. The OP is talking about towing through 5 different countries with a non UK registered car, in that situation the owner of that vehicle assuming he or she is a resident "outside" of the UK will or should know the rules and regs that apply to them as resident of the country they are domiciled.

When I brought my UK caravan to France, as I am resident in France, I had to apply to the prefecture for a temporary carte grise to enable me to tow my caravan over here (UK number plate removed), so that I could start the processs of examinations etc to obtain a French number plate. If I had then been stopped by the gendarmes I would have the official papers to allow me to tow in that situation.

You say you had some funny looks from the police and customs? well they should have pulled you to one side to ascertain if the vehicle did actually belong to you in the first place, and not just another stolen caravan.

Regards

M

Edited by MDM, 24 August 2011 - 04:24 PM.

#16 iuliu

iuliu

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:50 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I think this is a delicate subject and I am amazed I could not find a definite answer anywhere. Basically I am just passing through these countries...Is almost the same as buying a car from another country and taking it in your own country to register it , except that with the caravan you don't have a number to start with. How else do people take caravans to register in other countries?

Thanks,

#17 drummond

drummond

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:51 AM

All right. If you have a Romanian registered car, put the same registration on the caravan until you get to Romania. I doubt that the French, German, or Italian police will be bothered. If they are, swear blind that it's OK in Romania, as it is in England.

Does anyone know if caravans need a separate registration in Romania?:rolleyes:

#18 beejay

beejay

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

Most Romany caravans do not have registration plates! ;)

And breakdown vehicles in any country are able to tow foreign registered vehicles.

The hire car situation is interesting. Normally, in the E.U., vehicles can only be driven persons resident in the country of registration but there is derogation specifically for hire cars. Whether this extends to towing a foreign registered trailer.....? However there would hire documents.

#19 iuliu

iuliu

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

Most Romany caravans do not have registration plates! ;)

And breakdown vehicles in any country are able to tow foreign registered vehicles.

The hire car situation is interesting. Normally, in the E.U., vehicles can only be driven persons resident in the country of registration but there is derogation specifically for hire cars. Whether this extends to towing a foreign registered trailer.....? However there would hire documents.

Yeah,

Thank you for the info. Just to clarify a BIG problem that I have already saw on the forum... http://www.caravanta...s-in-cherloire/

#20 JVH100

JVH100

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:38 PM

in the E.U., vehicles can only be driven persons resident in the country of registration

Not True! I used to live in Germany. In Germany, anybody with a car licence can drive any car so long as they are insured. In Germany it is the driver who is insured not the vehicle so if you have car insurance and have the appropriate licence you are completely legal to drive any car lent to or owned by you. You also do not get a new certificate every year like you do here, just a receipt to show you have paid the fee for the current year.You also automatically get a 12 month green card. In addition you can insure british registered cars in germany with german insurance companies. Not all will do it but some will. I speak from experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users