• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Vanwick

Vanwick

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:09 PM

I'm contemplating installing a Powrtouch caravan mover and fancy saving £150 or so by doing this myself. The literature says that it would be straightforward for the 'competent' person to do this, but are the supplied 'fully comprehensive, step by step DIY Instructions' as good as they are made to sound? Would my single axle Lunar Clubman need the more expensive 'Heavy Duty' version? in order to mount a ramped 4 inch kerb? Are there better alternatives to 'Powrtouch'.

#2 Rita

Rita

Bright Spark

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,143 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:17 PM

You can check here for all makes

http://www.caravanmo...are-movers.html

#3 littlebasher

littlebasher

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:14 PM

If you can wield a spanner and a pair of wire strippers - you may as well do it yourself

At the end of the day it'll cost you nothing, and if all goes wrong you can pay a mobile engineer to fit it (who'll probably charge more like £100 anyway)

#4 BOAC

BOAC

BOAC

• CT Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts
  • Interests:Petal & Baggins
    Jeep & Pastiche
    Air Traffic Control
  • Towcar:Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7
  • Caravan:2003 Coachman Pastiche 460/2

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:24 PM

Hi,

I fitted my Powrtouch mover. Fitting the control box was done with heavy duty velcro strips, and the aerial does not poke through the floor as recommended.

It still works as it should.

When screwing the bolts on the expanding small cross bar underneath, screw the bolts in hand tight and then one turn around and then tighten the locking nut.

I put my electric isolater switch behind the EHU inlet plug, and I keep the key in there too. Think about where you are going to drill the holes for the switch. Its easy to make a mess of it.

Cables were fed in besides the existing battery feed cables and then I siliconed the inside.

The instructions are good - they should be on the makers website, as will the info on the 4" mouting, but why not make a small ramp?

Other than that - if you have the aptitude - go for it,

Regards

BO Pete

#5 millerhouse12

millerhouse12

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, caravanning, photography and video

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:57 PM

I've fitted a couple of Rhynos and can't imagine that Powrtouch are that much different. Anybody with reasonable DIY skills should have no problem with the fitting - just make sure you've got enough height to get underneath the caravan either by raising it on ramps or by lifting the front as far as possible with the jockey wheel. You can see what's involved by looking at the instructions here

John M

#6 IanV8

IanV8

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:25 AM

Before you start make a couple of blocks to hold the assembly up close to where it is to be fitted, I used a couple of 5litre oil cans, it is quite heavy when you are on the ground trying to get it in place.

When I bought mine, 2001, you did not get the the 5 year warranty if you fitted it yourself, worth checking.

Ian

Edited by IanV8, 17 August 2011 - 06:34 AM.

#7 Watson(JohnG)

Watson(JohnG)

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:22 AM

I've fitted my Powrtouch to 3 vans now and its quite easy if you are DIY orientated
They are helpful to DIYers with good printed instructions and help line and accept warranty as normal on parts

Wind the van via the jockey wheel up as high as possible and lower the front stays
Retract the JW and place a caravan step etc under the JW and wind the van up again as high as possible to give good access
I always have 2 on/off switches behind the mains inlet so that the positive and negative are both switchable
This can then be configured so that only one set of cables go to the battery avoiding the tight situation with 4 thick wires as is awkward with some battery boxes
I then wire the caravan positives to one side of one switch and the mover to the switched side thus being able to switch off the mover as normal
The negative battery terminal is wired to the the other switch and the van and mover negative on the other terminal
This gives a way of cutting the van/mover negative as a bonus but just neatens up the wiring
I also as suggested earlier used 2 wooden blocks to raise the units nearer to the van axle
The Powrtouch U bolts facilitate fitting as they are quite long but a deep socket is an advantage when tightening them up
Its easier to join the 2 halves under the van rather than struggling with a heavy assembled unit
Last time I fitted mine it was December and I got the new van home as a light fall of snow began and the job was finished with increasing darkness and my headlight so that the van could be parked in its place Posted Image
Good luck--and enjoy

#8 gumdrop

gumdrop

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts
  • Interests:Almost everything

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:31 AM

A few people have fitted them themselves on the Eriba Forum
The last one was a very neat Rhyno installation.
The control board takes up less room if mounted on edge, so
it would be worth laying out your components to get an idea of
any snags.
Being able to switch on/off easily from outside is good
Being able to plug in the remote cable from outside
The support blocks or axle stands are a good idea and
setting the tyre clearance is easier with a couple of blocks
the right size (check the instructions) measure twice ....
If in doubt phone the helpline.
I would check the cost of spares before you buy a mover,
my Reich bits are reasonable bought as single items but
nearly double in price bought as assemblies i.e all the bits
you want but put together in a box!
Rhyno claim to be 100% British, some like Purpleline are
older designs but check the warrantry if you do it yourself
and get advice from their helpline, follow their instructions
and then they cannot quibble.

#9 Dale1

Dale1

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

Before you start make a couple of blocks to hold the assembly up close to where it is to be fitted, I used a couple of 5litre oil cans, it is quite heavy when you are on the ground trying to get it in place.

When I bought mine, 2001, you did not get the the 5 year warranty if you fitted it yourself, worth checking.

Ian

You are correct if fitting yourself the 5 year warranty in most cases will only be 1 year, I uses some axle stands to support the mover when fitting which made it very easy to do, its basically 8 bolts and 6 wires, if you can wire a 13amp plug then fitting the control box will be a doodle.

But depending on where you get your mover from, the fitting may well be a lot less then £150! And you will then be covered for 5 years, providing you have it serviced.

do you have to have a powertouch? There’s are many different movers on the market today, which mainly use the same parts just rebranded to the supplier and for less than £600 fully fitted.

Regards

#10 klyne

klyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,053 posts
  • Interests:European travel, photography, my website

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:15 AM

I have fitted a mover to two caravans in the past and as has been said it not a particularly difficult DIY job. I did record my exploits here http://www.davidklyn..._a_motor_mo.htm We had the Reich for about 8 years but when we changed to our current van we also purchased a Powertouch mover which the dealer fitted for us. I would say that ideally it is a two man job to get everything in place under the caravan. Also think carefully where you put the control box as you might need to get at it from time to time.

David

#11 Scorpio

Scorpio

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:22 AM

Hello,
I fitted my Powertouch HD myself; it is not difficult, but would be easier with an assistant. I used a trolley jack to support the units in position until the bolts were fitted. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow. Even for a DIY job, if you send the documentation, you still get a 5 year warranty. The Powertouch HD operates more slowly, due to low gearing which enables it to manoevre kerbs etc more easily. It also starts gradually, unlike some makes which are a bit jerky. Before starting, plan the job and make sure you know where everything will go. When routing cables through gaps in the chassis, cover it with something like waste pipe tubing to prevent the cable from chafing. Good luck.

#12 leedslad

leedslad

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

I fitted a Rhyno mover to our 'van with no problems. The firm say that you can call them if you have any problems but I didn't need to as I've done a bit of work with the spanners in the past.

John.

#13 Vanwick

Vanwick

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:57 PM

VANWICK THANKS TO ALL RESPONDANTS VERY MUCH FOR THEIR HELPFUL ADVICE GREATFULLY RECEIVED. I'M NOW PRETTY RESOLVED TO GO AHEAD WITH DIY BUT AM ASKING POWRTOUCH TO SEND ME THEIR DIY LEAFLET BEFOREHAND JUST TO BE SURE. NO FURTHER NEWS ON THIS ITEM WILL MEAN GOOD NEWS. HAPPY MOVING!

#14 Watson(JohnG)

Watson(JohnG)

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:41 AM

You can download the instructions here:

http://www.powrwheel... DIY 110613.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users