19 replies to this topic

#1 kennylips

kennylips

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:37 AM

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, so hopefully in the right place.

We've just come back from our summer holiday in our Bailey Discovery 100 and have decided we need something a bit bigger now we have 2 children. It has served us well, but we need a bit more length and the cupboard space that it brings.

We bought the discovery because it was the kind of money we wanted to spend and most importantly it would fit on our drive with 1 car behind it.

Our driveway is along the side of our house with a garage at one end and the pavement at the other. The hitch goes right up to the garage door and the car goes up to the caravan with the bumper just where the pavement is.

The problem with getting a larger caravan is that we won't really be able to fit a car on the drive behind it. My car is already on the road, which is fine, but we don't want to put 2 cars onto the road.

I don't really want to put it into storage for a few reasons:

1. It costs money
2. I like having the caravan 'just there' as I often want to get things out of it like the folding chairs, picnic table for non caravaning events - yes I could get them all out before putting into storage, but then that's just more stuff to pack when we go away which for me kind of defeats one of the beauty's of caravning - put in your clothes and food and go!

So the solitions to my problem I see are:

1. Put in storage (don't want to do this)
2. Get my wife a shorter car. She has a Golf at the moment and getting something like a Fiat 500 would give us 70cm more, which would be enough, but then this means spending more money on a car when it could go towards a caravan.
3. Moving the garage door back up to 1m inside the garage - is this possible?
4. Creating some kind of cut out in the garage door for the hitch to go inside - not sure if this is really possible, just trying to think out of the box here!

Does anyone have any suggestions that may work for me? Open to any kind of suggestions!

Or does anyone know any cheap storage places near Aylesbury?

Thanks very much!

#2 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,127 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:51 AM

You don't mention what the garage is used for.

If it has no car in it I would replace it with a small shed if the garage is a storage/workshop area.

#3 Rita

Rita

Bright Spark

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

Buy an awning

#4 kennylips

kennylips

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:58 AM

You don't mention what the garage is used for.

If it has no car in it I would replace it with a small shed if the garage is a storage/workshop area.

Not possible. Local planning covenants prevent this.

Buy an awning

Already got one. Caravan size is the issue

#5 Davebelcanto

Davebelcanto

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:07 AM

Why not do what you say and move the garage door back.
It will obviously need a new wooden frame to be created, but can't see any other problems.
Just make sure that if it is an up and over door it will clear the hitch when opening.
Would have thought that would give you 4ft or so extra.
As you don't use the garage for the car I would have thought a smaller one would not be a problem.

Dave

#6 Philb1

Philb1

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

Is it a sectional concrete garage? If so - could you take the front panel (inc door) off, then remove end panel on both sides (thus shortening garage by width of panel, then put front back on?

Either that or have a caravan flap cut into the door (might mae it more secure as well?

#7 klyne

klyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • Interests:European travel, photography, my website

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

I think I go along with Dave's idea of moving the door of the garage further back, that would at least allow the A frame to go into the space created. Whether it would give you enough room I am not sure but its likely to be the cheapest option.

David

#8 Redden

Redden

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:32 AM

The route I'd prefer would be to keep those items you mentioned wanting handy, chairs , tables etc, in the garage and put the van on a storage site. Benefits may outweigh the problems. More room at home and maybe even cheaper insurance if kept on the right site.

#9 Glen and Les

Glen and Les

Enjoying Early Retirement!

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Walking, Wildlife

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

We put our caravan into storage last year and initially I hated the idea, but we had no option - we'd been on a seasonal pitch which we were leaving and couldn't park the caravan at home (building covenants). However, it's worked out quite well - the van is only 3 miles from home, in a 24hr secure compound, which we can access 24hrs a day with electronic card, we pop up and down as we like to wash/load the caravan etc - and, as stated above, we save on our insurance. Our annual storage fee is 255 and we think this is good value for peace of mind.

In the end it all boils down to personal choice, but if you have some storage facilities quite close to hand, why not give it a go - they may offer short-term lets which will give you the time you decide which course of action you really want to take.

Regards, Glen.

#10 Wmc711

Wmc711

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Trips Away
    Theme Parks
    iMac
    Family

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:51 AM

I would put dog flap in garage door allowing hitch can you access garage via another door???
If so you could assemble another security item ie T bar through hitch to print van being pulled iff

#11 HairyFool

HairyFool

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Interests:IT, Photography, Dog Agility

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

I have the covenant restriction along with a "link detached" car port which is too low for the caravan to go under :angry:

As I use the garage as a workshop the up and over door was a nuisance so I took the door off and replaced it with a panel made by the local shed shop with double doors in. There would be nothing preventing me mounting a frame further back to form an alcove and that way you could even off set the door to clear the caravan hitch. I have left all the door gear in place so if I want to restore it to being a garage at any time I can.

In fact thinking about it an alcove outside the garage for battery charging, volatile materials etc might be useful for me :D

#12 ericfield

ericfield

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

I have a wooden garage of sufficient length to fit a 7m caravan. Till now I have restricted myself to a smaller caravan. But I too am considering a longer caravan. To accommodate the extra length I am going to cut a section out of the rear of the garage to poke the hitch end of the A frame through. I then intend to construct a mini lean to shed to cover it....a sort of blister on the garage outside.

I am wondering if you can do that to garage doors? Rather than moving them, cut a hole to accommodate the hitch up to the gas bottle locker and fit the blister on the inside of the door?

Failing that...don't suppose you can lift the garage roof and door high enough to actually slide the caravan inside? It's brilliant having your own on site undercover storage...and well worth considering a few £ to do...if you can.

Edited by ericfield, 14 August 2011 - 04:39 PM.

#13 whatever

whatever

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

Had a similar problem myself. Had a sectional concrete garage, got it taken away for free courtesy of Gumtree. Got a small workshop built behind where the garage was (just large enough for my bench, tool cabinets etc) and now store the van on what was the base of the garage.

#14 matelodave

matelodave

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, walking, caravanning, reading & drinking beer

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

the obvious answer to all this - move to a house with a bigger drive :lol:

That's what we did. Not specifically because of of the caravan, but we've now got space to park at least two (three at a push) vans one behind the other and to put cars next to them as well (it would be a bit of a shuffle to get the first one out though if there were two behind it - but I reckon it could be done). We can now use the van as a spare room (with en-suite facilites), The grandchildren think it's great.

#15 chickenwrangler

chickenwrangler

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

Your Option 3 would be my choice. It is fairly easy to make your own timber frame for an up and over door. I don't know how your garage is constructed but it won't be difficult to fix the frame inside. You will still have storage space "inside" garage.

As to the covenant.....these have to be enforced by someone who has normally long lost interest in it. It needs a resident to complain to the person who invoked the original covenant. Look at the number of caravans stored on front drives on 1960's estates (Bedgrove). You can bet there were covenants supposed to prevent this. Same goes for fences and hedges enclosing front gardens of houses of this period. The "open plan" look was the in thing and it was hoped that by having covenenants it would maintain the look of the estate. Have a look at similar houses and see what has been done (if anything). If your house is a few years old have a chat with a solicitor to see what likelyhood there is of the covenant being enforced.

Reasonably priced storage around Aylesbury........you're having a laugh! 35 a month for insecure outside storage is typical. If you find any let me know.

#16 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,046 posts
  • Interests:fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

I had a neighbor who raised the roof of his garage to accommodate his caravan, so he had the added bonus of keeping the caravan clean and more secure.

At my last house i put a extra drop kerb in for the caravan, so it parked in front of the bungalow, i also had it link to the original drive way so it gave me a drive in/out drive.

It helped sell the house.

Edited by xtrailman, 14 August 2011 - 05:26 PM.

#17 Easy T

Easy T

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

If ou do not need this width of front garage access. You could take the doors off. And build a solid timber end. just setting back the lower 2 foot at the bottom to produce a low storage bench on the inside.

#18 ericfield

ericfield

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

I had a neighbor who raised the roof of his garage to accommodate his caravan, so he had the added bonus of keeping the caravan clean and more secure.

At my last house i put a extra drop kerb in for the caravan, so it parked in front of the bungalow, i also had it link to the original drive way so it gave me a drive in/out drive.

It helped sell the house.

I was fortunate that my building had a high roof... 1" clearance between rafters and caravan roof vents! Just had to increase door height/width.

It's the simple things that make you appreciate this feature. Every time we come home, I wash the caravan and put it away in the dry, clean garage ready for next time. If I need to work on it ...it's undercover. And of course it's out of the winter weather.

#19 Joanthephone

Joanthephone

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning/ knitting/ sport
  • Towcar:Seat Alhambra
  • Caravan:Bailey Senator Arizona

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

Have you a garden lawn at the front of your house. If so, why not put concrete slabs down to park a car that will give you more space. Just a thought as most houses have lawns at the front and where I live a lot of houses have replaced the lawn and now park either their car or caravan on it.

#20 Paul_B

Paul_B

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Keeping Traditional Poultry
    Swilling Grilling & Chilling

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:26 PM

If you have a motor mover? could you reverse the caravan up to the garage door, then drop the hitch low enough to go under the cars bumper, or would there room to park the car skew-wiff if the caravan was reversed in :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users