25 replies to this topic

#21 Brian Dobbie

Brian Dobbie

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:10 PM

Does any of this apply when gas is being transported for personal use?

Surely you would not score enough points to make these regulations/recommendations applicable.

Brian

quote :
1) A 2kg fire extinguisher is required on all vehicles carrying gas cylinders to fight engine and cab fires.

2) Cylinder valves must be closed whilst in transit and any equipment disconnected.

3) Cylinders should be secured properly and should not project beyond the sides or ends of the vehicle.]

==================
1) didnt realise this - this would cover little camping gas stoves...
2) i always assumed this...
3) secured properly? locked locker does this? or should it be "bolted down"? i normally travel with my cylinder in the van... securely placed. but if the van tipped it wouldnt no longer be secured...

#22 ian dunning

ian dunning

Contributor of the Year 2012

• Robert Jackson Award winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,244 posts
  • Towcar:Mercedes B200 Sport
  • Caravan:Pegasus Verona

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

quote :
1) A 2kg fire extinguisher is required on all vehicles carrying gas cylinders to fight engine and cab fires.

2) Cylinder valves must be closed whilst in transit and any equipment disconnected.

3) Cylinders should be secured properly and should not project beyond the sides or ends of the vehicle.]

==================
1) didnt realise this - this would cover little camping gas stoves...
2) i always assumed this...
3) secured properly? locked locker does this? or should it be "bolted down"? i normally travel with my cylinder in the van... securely placed. but if the van tipped it wouldnt no longer be secured...

Hi,
I don't believe that the above covers private vehicles and, from a practical point of view, I dispute point 2, regarding cylinders being disconnected, when cylinders are carred in caravan front lockers for reasons that I posted earlier.

I would also prefer to have LPG cylinders carried and secured in their designated place which should be appropriately marked though, in truth, the emergency services should always expect to find cylinders in caravans.

It is all common sense really,
Regards,
Ian.

#23 Pepechihuahua

Pepechihuahua

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:caravanning, dogs, crafts,gardening

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:54 PM

Our old van had an electric only fridge so a day or two before travelling we would connect to the mains at home and fill the freezer compartment with cool box blocks these froze solid and kept things chilled till we arrived at our destination in Cornwall.

#24 MaxHeadroom

MaxHeadroom

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning Photography Computers DIY

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:21 PM

As I understand it you can be fined upto 1000 per cylinder *connected* to the pigtail, let alone operating the fridge = DONT DO IT

#25 crusader

crusader

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Interests:enjoying everyday

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

As I understand it you can be fined upto 1000 per cylinder *connected* to the pigtail, let alone operating the fridge = DONT DO IT

at a risk of repeating myself to save you reading all the posts please google ( other search engines are available !) truma secumotion then you may want to give evidence as to were YOUR facts come from . jim

#26 beejay

beejay

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:44 PM

As I understand it you can be fined upto 1000 per cylinder *connected* to the pigtail, let alone operating the fridge

If you read page one of the link given above by Commander Dave and repeated here regarding the transport of LPG it refers to the workplace and specifically excludes individuals using gas for leisure or private purposes..

Whilst complying with the regulations when caravanning may be wise it is NOT a legal requirement to do so..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users