10 replies to this topic

#1 bruckshaw

bruckshaw

One Star

• No longer a member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 03:34 PM

We swear by end kitchen caravans .. just a personal preference for living space rather than washing space. I imagine few other people do otherwise the Bailey range would include one or two in the 14-16 foot size.
Therefore I do not propose to upgrade.

#2 colger23

colger23

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 03:55 PM

I dont think it is only Bailey which do not do end kitchens - I dont remember seeing a new van with this configuration for a long while.

#3 Jaydug

Jaydug

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:26 PM

Kitchens are a lot heavier now than they once were. I guess a cooker and a fridge at the tail end wouldn't do much for stability on the road.

#4 olderbutnotwiser

olderbutnotwiser

Work Sucks!!!

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:Caravans
    Real Ale
    Rugby
    Music

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:33 PM

I read somewhere that with end kitchen models they have to move the axle further back. Maybe this makes them expensive to produce?

#5 Janet

Janet

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 06:34 PM

Fleetwood do end kitchens, in fact that's the reason we chose this caravan!. Admittedly ours is an older version, but the new ones also have end kitchens. The only downside possibly (although it doesn't bother us) is the smaller toilet/shower area. Obviously this has to go somewhere and if its not at the back, its in the corner. We would be hard pushed to find another van like ours as we could never afford a 'new' Fleetwood.

#6 iancwilx

iancwilx

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:57 PM

We swear by end kitchen caravans .. just a personal preference for living space rather than washing space. I imagine few other people do otherwise the Bailey range would include one or two in the 14-16 foot size.

View Post

We have a 1996 2 berth Elddis Vogue and also also swear by the end kitchen.
It keeps the cooking well away from the living area and makes it cosy at nights.
The Bathroom compartment is quite adequate for myself and Mrs W. (separately) even though we are a tad over upholstered !!!
I must admit I did install a curtain rail to run across from the door near the fridge to just forward of the bathroom door with two tasteful decor matching curtains that can be drawn across to provide a sizeable dressing area with the door and kitchen blinds down - it looks nice and works a treat and leaves the rest of the van functional. They are tied back when not in use and are unobtrusive.
- Wilky

#7 gizmoman

gizmoman

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:17 AM

View Post

Perhaps companies are getting wise on the hygiene front, i.e. put the loo as far as possible away from the cooking area. I don't really like the idea of coming out of the loo straight into the cooking area. My wife wouldn't entertain it, being an infection control nursing officer !!!!!. Both of our caravans have had dedicated washrooms/loo across the back of the caravan. Our current one has two closable doors between the loo and cooking/eating area, which is ideal.

#8 Inspector Bob

Inspector Bob

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:DIY, Caravanning comfortably, wine tasting (large glasses none of that poofy stuff)

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:00 AM

I assume its a case of the markets requirements. The latest gizmo to be incorporated etc. Cynically I suspect it may be a matter of one up man ship or the old scenario as per the car makers of building in obsolescence ( no spell check on this page ). The latest fad seems to be separate fixed bedrooms, which for many is just the job but for others is not. The present market niche must be for the no kids couples who want to change out the vans from the "older" type. Their also seems to be a market for the very large units but not being in the business don't really know. The makers have been doing their research and obviously are filling the gap with the present needs of the punter. Tomorrow it will be something slightly different.

Its horses for courses I guess.

Bob

#9 RogerL

RogerL

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:53 PM

The Majestic was the last Pageant to have an end kitchen but was based on the smallest body size.

Larger 2-berth Pageants used a centre kitchen / sideboard unit, like the Imperial, Magenta and Monarch.

Only the Monarch layout was carried over to Series 5 Pageants as nowadays most couples opt for a 4-berth anyway, usually with a fixed bed at the rear.

Bailey still do an end kitchen, Ranger 380/2

#10 klyne

klyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,062 posts
  • Interests:European travel, photography, my website

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:08 PM

Most manufacturers have an end kitchen design. Having had a caravan of that layout I would not go back to it. There is a big question about weight distribution. We like to use our own washing/toilet facilities and a corner loo/shower is just too small for civilised comfort. Our last two vans have been of the end bathroom variety and this suits us down to the ground. The bulk of our caravanning is done abroad and if its hot we cook outside anyway. But, each to his own. Just because I like something does not mean it is right for everyone.

David

#11 Dot

Dot

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:53 PM

I must admit I did install a curtain rail to run across from the door near the fridge to just forward  of the bathroom door with two tasteful decor matching curtains that can be drawn across to provide a sizeable dressing area with the door and kitchen blinds down - it looks nice and works a treat and leaves the rest of the van functional. They are tied back when not in use and are unobtrusive.
- Wilky

View Post

I have a 2003 Elddis Elusion 362 which is a dealer special based on the Avante 362. It's basically the same van as yours and I've done the same thing except I only made one large curtain. I used a gold coloured spring loaded shower pole so it's not a permanent fixture. It's really handy for changing during the day or, with a bath mat on the floor, drying etc. after a shower.

Edited to add. I run my curtain from the forward edge of the wardrobe straight across to the forward edge of the fridge. Really cutting off the seating area from the rest of the van.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users