onewheelonmywagon

Happy Larry

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
  • Towcar:Green Oval D4
  • Caravan:Fleetwood Heritage 560-4

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

I have a Reich Move Control Comfort fitted to my single axle van - it also has the remote roller engagement known as "Motor Drive". Although the van (1500kg MTPLM) is less than three years old the mover pre-dates this by an unknown time because it was transferred from an older van by the previous owner. I have a good 110ampH battery which powers the mover well, but read on.

I have recently returned from a long tour of France which was a really marvellous holiday, marred only by my need to reset the control box every time I pitched up, or hitched up. This is a pain because you need to remove the front seats and slide back the bed slats to get at the control box, and use a combination of reset button and remote control buttons, sometimes several times, to get the control box to recognise the remote.

I have tried to no avail:
- replacing the batteries in the remote
- leaving the batteries in the remote
- leaving the batteries out of the remote
- turning off the main isolation switch between stops
- leaving the isolation switch on between stops

Once the reset process has been successfully carried out the remote operates the mover no problem. I haven't bothered to use the connection lead between the remote and the control box because to be honest this is more of a pain than the reset process (you have to remove the remote batteries, and open a window to use the lead).

Anyone else had a problem like this ?

#2 Happy Chappie

Happy Chappie

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Walking. Birdwatching. Caravanning.

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:14 PM

I have a Reich Move Control Comfort fitted to my single axle van - it also has the remote roller engagement known as "Motor Drive". Although the van (1500kg MTPLM) is less than three years old the mover pre-dates this by an unknown time because it was transferred from an older van by the previous owner. I have a good 110ampH battery which powers the mover well, but read on.

I have recently returned from a long tour of France which was a really marvellous holiday, marred only by my need to reset the control box every time I pitched up, or hitched up. This is a pain because you need to remove the front seats and slide back the bed slats to get at the control box, and use a combination of reset button and remote control buttons, sometimes several times, to get the control box to recognise the remote.

Once the reset process has been successfully carried out the remote operates the mover no problem. I haven't bothered to use the connection lead between the remote and the control box because to be honest this is more of a pain than the reset process (you have to remove the remote batteries, and open a window to use the lead).

Anyone else had a problem like this ?

Sorry to read about your problems with the Reich mover.
It sounds to me as though the frequency signal from your remote is being disturbed somehow.
Your best bet is to contact Reich U.K. on 01543 459243 who I'm sure will provide you with the answer.
Best of luck. :blink:

#3 not so big john

not so big john

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • Interests:Touring Europe
    University of the Third Age
  • Towcar:Hyundai Santa Fe
  • Caravan:Burstner Belcanto

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:18 PM

I had a similar problem with mine just after I purchased it. I had had it fitted new to the one year old caravan I purchased from the same dealer. I took it back to the dealer (M.G.Caravans of Todmordon) who couldn't have been nicer. They felt the control box was faulty and replaced it straight away. No problem with it since.

I did however have a problem with one of the mover gearboxes in the depths of eastern Europe. Hundreds of miles from a Reich dealer, I contacted them by phone and they were really helpful, talking me through removing and checking it, then shipping a new mover to Greece free of charge. I am sure that if you contact Reich you will find them as helpful and as willing to go the extra mile (or 1,000 miles in my case) as I did.

#4 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

Is there a small battery in the control box?

I wonder how the memory in the control box is kept when the power is switched off at the battery?

#5 FM02MZO

FM02MZO

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

Before you ring Reich, have you carried out both the Reset and Synchronisation procedures, which must be done with a good or new battery in the remote control, and this must be done on both boxes.
If is just a matter of resetting the system the quickest way is just to turn the isolation switch off for about 30 seconds then back on again.

#6 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts
  • Interests:fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:31 AM

I have a 2004 model comfort.

One of the very early ones.

I have had the remote battery out a couple of times, and never had to do a pairing.

Also the control box is always switched off when not in use via the isolator.

What i have to ensure is the led lights on the handset, sometimes i have to double click again, you should hear a relay pull in, inside the control box.

You need to pull the relay in for anything to happen.

Check that the short antenna on the control box isn't broken of.

Edited by xtrailman, 20 July 2011 - 07:34 AM.

#7 onewheelonmywagon

onewheelonmywagon

Happy Larry

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

Many thanks for all of your replies. Just to answer some of your points:

LHD - good point about a control box battery, I'll check.
FM02MZO - yes I have to do a Synchronisation to get the units to talk to each other. Didn't realise you could do a simple Reset just by turning off the isolator; this will be useful when (rarely) I forget to take off the van's handbrake before using the mover and it trips out.
XTRAILMAN - the sound of the relay in the control box activating is music to my ears when I'm doing the Reset/Synchronisation; it means I'm that much nearer to opening that first cold beer. The antenna was lengthened prior to my ownership (54cm), and seems OK. I have tried moving it to different positions to improve signal reception, but the control box is quite close to the van's 12V distribution box & battery charger so I'm surprised it works at all.

Anyway, I phoned Reich and a very helpful man said that if I returned both control box and remote they would test it free of charge - turnaround in a couple of days. So I'm off to my storage yard in the morning to get the control box out.

I will post again with the outcome.

Jimbo

#8 bonnierose

bonnierose

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Anyone else had a problem like this ?   yes we have we have a twin reich mover fitted to our compass ralley  it's not worked properly since we had it , we have had one new remote control , and the mother boards have had to be changed in both units in the van which they said should not have needed to be changed their comments were they never go !!!! ,we are now waiting again for them to come out to it it's playing up ,working then not working we have had it 7 years but only use the van 3 times a year it's not fit for the purpose we bought it for . at the cost of it

£ 1,500 we are looking at cutting our losses and having nother mover fitted even if it cost's us money just for peace of mind to know we can use the van again

#9 onewheelonmywagon

onewheelonmywagon

Happy Larry

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

Welcome to the forum bonnierose :)

Looks like I never came back with an outcome to my problem.

I phoned Reich UK in Hednesford and they were vey helpful and asked me to send both the remote and the board back - which I did. They phoned to say they couldn't find a problem other than they weren't synchronised, which was weird because I'd done that just before removing the board ready for posting. Anyway they synchronised it and sent it back and didn't charge me anything, not even the return postage, and it was well out of warranty.

I've not had a problem since. It's a great mover, although it does squeak a bit from time to time.

I suspect that attempting to synchronise the remote with the board in the van may have been the problem - I believe the other electronics in the van were preventing a complete synchronisation - that's my theory anyway.

I hope you get your problem solved.

#10 leedslad

leedslad

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

Xtrail man could be right about the antenna - worth checking it out!

John.

#11 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts
  • Interests:fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

I extended my ariel and passed it through the floor by drilling a small hole, the cable sticks out around 6" under the van.

Joined the wire via a connector.

Edited by xtrailman, 28 April 2013 - 04:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users